Thu, Sep 19, 3:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: Best bang for my hair-buying buck

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 9:23 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 8:29 AM

I've been having a strong urge to get a toy for myself, so I've been looking for hair, and I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I'd like a variety of styles, ease of use, just plain looking nice, and it'd also be nice if it worked on multiple figures. There's so much nice looking stuff out there, I'm overwhelmed. Would it be better to get a few cheaper styles, one expensive but highly flexible one? I just don't know. So, I figured I'd ask the people who have already done this. In your opinion, what would be the best value, and why?

Kiera ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 9:39 AM

With hair I find that some is awesome for close renders and not so good for distant renders and vice versa. For realism, I like Neftis and hmann's hair work. I recently picked up Dark Whisper's Wavy and Candy hair, and they are very well done. For sheer number of styles, you can drop the cash on Anton's Changing Ponytail Complete.

steveshanks ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 9:42 AM

Oh boy this like like what is the meaning of life LOL.....i just bought Dark whispers Candy and wavy hair, both very cheap and superb quality, i can highly recomend those 2 if you have vikki....if you have mike the long hair and fantasy beard/hair from daz are superb......the blunt cut from daz is good too, may be called basic i guess but fits all millenium figures and is easy fitted to the p4 figures, jim burtons hair set is cool too ....as is the ultra salon set..well i hope this helps ;o).......Steve

thgeisel ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 10:38 AM

First i would get kozaburos free hair,there are 5 or 6 different hairstyles that cover a big range.And they look very good also on closeups. And i agree to the things said above,dark whispers hair and hmanns hair are very nice. And not to forget Jim Burtons Hollywood and SanFran hair at DAZ

Staby ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 11:35 AM

Attached Link: http://store.daz3d.com/store/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ZP1&Product_Code=ps_ac245b&Category

Hi, I would suggest the Short Curls Hairstyle by Michael Lane on sale at DAZ. It still has an introductory price and it is different from every haircuts that are available even for free. Here is the link so you can see. there are some morphs to change the look too.

TheDaedalus ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 12:09 PM

In response to the post by Staby, I would highly recommend any hair by Michael Lane - the quality is top notch! As for other styles, I would, like some of the others above, point you in the direction of Anton's Changing Ponytail. It's expensive ($100(!) if you purchase the base, the expansion, and the extra textures/poses), but I think it's worth it. Aaron

Papu ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 12:21 PM

One of my favourite hair models at the moment is Daz Bluntcut. Suits Mike too, though I've used it mostly on Vicky and Stephanie. Versatile and pretty :)

queri ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 1:25 PM

Neftis's hair is going on sale next month. If I didn't already have it ALL! I'd clean up. She has easy easy easy to use, perfect natural looking hair. Emily

queri ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 1:27 PM

Other than that, Alla's hair is fantastic and all the colors are interchangeable on all the styles. I particularly recommend Elleana Hair---probably misspelled-- because of the separate parts, you can use any of it anywhere anytime-- the ponytail makes great horses manes.:)) Emily The hair nut

Crescent ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 2:32 PM

It really depends on what you need and what your budget is. For the most variety, I'd go for: One of hmann's hair, either Cleo or Gypsy. The Short Curls by mallenlane. Two of Vairesh's hair products. (Trini or Conner and maybe the Julia or LeeLee/LuLu hair.) Daz's Wonder Wedge and the Gel Hair are quite good (I have 11 morphs for the Gel Hair available for free so it looks better for guys as well) but they've been used a LOT so people are holding off on using them for a while. And, of course, Kozaburo is the master of hair. Please check out Digital Babes to see what's available.

3-DArena ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 2:55 PM

I have to agree with Anton's Changing Ponytail for variety - it's a steep price to get the hair and the expansion + pose package, but I have to say it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. I have even used this for Michael (that's anton's hair on michael in the renders of my sweater textures somewhere in this forum) Unlike the free hair (which is fabulous) I can use it for all my commercial renders of my store products as well as my art. I've had it for a while now and I still have styles that I haven't used and several style "poses" I saved myself. I also love the gel hair - it's great on elves and fairies as well as for showcasing a character as it doesn't hide the face. Other than those I often use Mehndi's Ultra Salon (I'd like that wood archer set too if it is available on it's own), and April's spirals. I'm not big on flip or overly feathered hair myself so I haven't tried many of the others, but I do want to get Neftis' yanni hair.

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

FishNose ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 4:12 PM

My personal favorite for Vicki is DAZ's Updo Hair. Second Dark Whisper's California. Third San Francisco by Jim Burton. The Kozaburo free hairstyles are wonderful, especially Alice. And Reika Hair by Minerva, also free. :] FishNose

ElectricAardvark ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 5:53 PM

Elleana Hair-Alla Maiden Hair-Vairash GIF Hair-Dark Whisper And anything by Digital babes/Kozaburo

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 7:45 PM

Well, I am a big fan of the Wonder Wedge, and Anton's Pony tail is a great item.

I have Cleo hair, but I don't use it that much... I have some concerns with the construction... from head on the "flaps" of the crown just look... 2 dimensional (they are). From the side and off angles it looks good but for animation I have concerns. This is keeping me from diving into the Gypsy hair until I see some renders from straight on the front. A lot of folks really like it so I am willing to be wrong - but I don;t really have the spare money to make a mistake. Besides, it looks like I can do a lot of the same thing with Cleo hair.

To be honest, Hmanns hair lineup is a little confusing for the potential buyer. Maybe someone who has them could do a review/compare?

Currently I am deciding on a few... I think "Elleana Hair" is a lock at about $12 and I'll probably pick up the "Printemps" when it goes on sale (I think next month/tomorrow?). Other than that I am unsure what I need.

queri ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 7:59 PM

I have the same issues with the Gypsy hair that you have with Cleo hair-- for soulhuntre-- those airplane flaps don't go away unless you do profile or three quarter. And then not from an overhead camera angle. Elleana is super hair in a gazillion colors. And I like Printemps, but I like either Casual hair or Very French better. I'm with Steve on Dark Whisper's hair. It looks good and that Wavy hair is rather special. Everything else, you can fill in with Kozaburo's. Emily

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 8:11 PM

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I've been drooling at the Gypsy hair and will probably get it, I just need to psych myself up to spend the money. I'll definitely have to hit Nefti's when the sale starts; I've been drooling at some of that, too. I may just have to accept that fact that I'm probably going to blow my budget this month. Kozaburo does have great free hair, doesn't he? I've already cleaned out his site. :)

soulhuntre ( ) posted Sun, 31 March 2002 at 10:05 PM

Unfortunately, Kozaburo's stuff isn't helpful for commercial users. For that matter, I always thout it was pretty much ina grey area that so many folks use it for promotional renders.

3-DArena ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 8:03 AM

soulhuntre - I don't find it a grey area at all lol it's used for promotion of a commercial product to increase sales - by legal standards that is a commercial use and frankly I have wondered why it is allowed when it is an infringement of his use policy which is well known. waiting for the sale of neftis' hair....

3-D Arena | Instagram | Facebook

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo

soulhuntre ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 8:27 AM

I was trying to be nice :)

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 8:42 AM

I think I'm dying of joy at the sale of Nefti's hair. That's a great sale. I know Black Rose, one of my characters, is going to look great in the Printemps Hair once I get it adjusted for her (she's Posette based, at least right now.)

Crescent ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 9:22 PM

I think at least some of the vendors did ask permission to use Kozaburo's hair - they state so in the ads. (I'd hate to think they lied about it!) With the Gypsy hair, you can tweak the TFly settings so the hair looks right. Left at default, the wisps look like they're floating above the head, but moving them down a bit fixes that problem. (.3 to .5) I really like the Gypsy hair, myself. Neftis' hair is less malleable than many hair products, but definitely worth the sale price. (Guess where my money went today?)

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2002 at 11:05 PM

Same place some of mine went, I'm willing to guess. ^_~

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.