Sat, Sep 21, 6:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / 3D Modeling

Welcome to the 3D Modeling Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433

3D Modeling F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 9:12 am)

Freeware 3D Modeling Software Links:
Blender | Trimble Sketchup | Wings 3D | Anim8or | Metasequoia | Clara IO (Browser-based 3d modeler)

Check out the
MarketPlace Wishing Well, as a content creator's resource for your next project.

"What 3D Program Should I buy?" Not one person here can really tell you what's best for you, as everyone has their own taste in workflow. Try the demo or learning edition of the program you're interested in, this is the only way to find out which programs you like.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Survey Question - What 3D Modeling App is easiest & most versatile?

leather-guy ( ) posted Wed, 10 April 2002 at 3:36 AM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 10:08 AM

Hi All! I know this question has been asked before from time to time, but I cant think of any effective search terms that find those threads for me. The fact is, Ive had Poser since V1, and now Poser4 + ProPak. Ive bought a LOT of poser-related products here and at other sites. Ive recently gotten ZBrush and despite its many limitations, Ive had so much fun with it (other than the incredibly lame S/N validation system that keeps defaulting to Demo), that Im finally looking to try some modeling on my own. My question: What modeling software would be best to move on to? There are specials and upgrade pricings available on several products, but visiting their sites its amazing how each and every one of them constitutes the ultimate evolution of 3D software! G Ive got access to vintage unlimited versions of Truespace3, Carrara 1, RayDream 5, Amorphium 1, Animation Master, Cinema 4D, Amapi, and even Rhino, LightWave, 3DStudioMax V2, and SoftImage (these last 5 Id have to visit friends and use on their computers to spend any time on, or if I buy one friends old computer (which I dont need) shell give me her 3DS Max V2 with it). None of these are WAREZ or Pirated, by the way. Im quite aware how applications change from version to version, sometimes radically changing the interface and capabilities, so I dont really want to start with an older software & go thru a stiff learning curve with an upgraded version. From what Ive seen in the galleries, looking over tutorials, and visiting the various forums, there are apps that are excellent for rendering (but Im not interested in those just yet, Ill limp along with Poser/Vue4/Bryce5 for now), other apps that excel in modeling organic forms, others still that seem superb for inanimate/geometric forms, and a few that seem to fall somewhere in between. What I really need info on is this - of the most popular modelers used by the Poser Gurus who frequent this site, which is the most versatile for modeling organisms, clothing, environments, and props? And of these which might have the shortest learning curve? I want to really dive into just one app and make some progress on a few projects that are very near and dear to my heart (making and modifying clothes/costumes, making and modifying buildings, etc...), but I dont want to have to learn one app for modeling organisms, another for clothing, and still another for toasters/ships/buildings. I just dont have that kind of time available. Budget-wise, I can usually promote a decent price on software when I really want to, via upgrades, closeouts, and such, but I really need information to go after the best choice I can before I decide which one I want to go after. What 3D Modeling apps does everyone else here use, & whats their opinion of them regarding ease of use?

Modulok ( ) posted Wed, 10 April 2002 at 5:27 AM

Well, that varies person to person. Everyone has their package that they like because it fits their needs and the software is built like they think. I think max, xsi, maya, are a bit expensive to be just a modeler. LW is getting cheaper (thank you newtek) and supposedly has a great modeler as well as a wealth of features.(I've never used it though so I can't say) However I think it would be overkill for what your doing. Rhino is a great modeler for all kinds of stuff. The learning curve on rhino is (as someone in the rhino forum put it) like walking down the sidewalk in kansas. You can generate a mesh of any number of polygons from the NURBS model to export to poser. I would suggest rhino, but then again I'm bound to be a little bias because I'm a rhino guy myself. Try the demos and see what works for you ;) Laterz -Modulok-

ronmolina ( ) posted Wed, 10 April 2002 at 9:31 PM

Lightwave with out a doubt. Rhino comes in second. Ron

bikermouse ( ) posted Thu, 11 April 2002 at 6:11 AM

i've been looking around and i'm not sure about rhino but i've heard lottsa horror stories about how complicated max can be (not to meantion the price. rhino has a demo as does maya) i think light wave has the best press and im most impressed with lightwave. i hear its hard to learnthough. but my god those prices. still metacreations was 200 dollaring me to death for partial functionality. it may be worth the 1500 d to not have to buy more and more and more and still not be satisfied. but as alot of the characters in the old "demon's gate" game say "I dunno - I just guard here .."

Cinema1954 ( ) posted Thu, 11 April 2002 at 9:30 AM

I personally would suggest Cinema 4D XL... after trying most of the others, Cinema was the first one that actually seemed intuitive to me. That's the problem with asking for suggestions; everyone is different, and has different ideas of what a 3D program should be and how it should function. While one person says Lightwave is easy to learn and makes sense to him, another may think it's unusable. Try the demos that are out there (Cinema 4D is at www.maxon.net), and decide what works for you. Whichever you choose, once you concentrate on that one program and learn it, you'll probably be happy with it (and tell others that it's the ONLY way to go)!

Annie

leather-guy ( ) posted Thu, 11 April 2002 at 4:33 PM

I really want to thank you all for your generosity in taking the time to share your take on this. I'm planning ongoing to a Computer trade show on Sunday. I'll make a decision by then & either make a buy at the show, or place an order on Monday (depending on the final choice). I really appreciate so much help! I'm still not certain what I'll choose, but I'm getting eager to dive in! Thank you all again, and if anyone else wishes to add their opinions, please do!

Romey-Rome ( ) posted Thu, 11 April 2002 at 9:22 PM

I'd say Cinema 4D is easiest to learn. It was for me anyway, and I've tryed every major package out there.

Quikp51 ( ) posted Thu, 11 April 2002 at 9:57 PM

I love my Rhinoceros3D v2.0. Just check different forums and see what types of questions are asked and how they're answered. If the methods seem simple try the demo. Or check galleries of members.

Tephladon ( ) posted Thu, 11 April 2002 at 11:09 PM

I have used Max, Rhino(Demo) and currently use Lightwave. A great deal of pros state that Lightwave is by far the most bang for the buck. The modeller is arguably second to none. I am sort of Bias however. Max was just klunky as hell, although it is a powerful modeller. This question however is a question of styles though so it is hard to say. Lightwave has a demo. Infact Newtek just sent me one in the mail. I did not even order one. I guest used my name off of their registered users list.

Modulok ( ) posted Fri, 12 April 2002 at 4:49 AM

Send it to me Tephladon :) Yeah leather-guy, everyone has their own, and no body can tell you what will work for you. Just gotta try out them demos :) I also felt that 3ds max was powerful, but "clunky as hell"...for me anyway. Never tried LW. Laterz -Modulok-

justG ( ) posted Fri, 12 April 2002 at 10:15 PM

leather-guy,nice nick ;) i'm new to modeling as well, and have been for the past 10 years. in that time, i've read a lot, but in practice haven't really progressed beyond purty bump-mapped sphere over checkered plane. i spent so long researching the perfect application (for me), and never took a moment to realize that software is just a tool. i kept overly-emphasizing the power of the tool, and how it would make me a better crafts(wo)man, and under-emphasizing the power of my own creativity and innovation (or lack thereof). it's always the simplest things that elude me ;)

then i saw "the killer bean", by jeff lew. i'm sure there are countless other examples, but this is the one that captured my fascination (probably because i watched it on a 60" tv). it was created in animation: master, which costs $300(US). that's when it occurred to me that maybe i should stop reading so much, and start doing (like i sad, it's the simplest things...)

i ended up buying truespace. i'm not discounting some great freeware that's out there, but i can download and try freeware anytime (except when its developer goes belly up - RIP blender), whereas the discounted price for which i got truespace was a limited-time offer. i'm not experienced enough yet to argue its merits compared to other applications. the reason i bought it is because working in it is like playing with play-doh, and that paradigm works for me (i think). it was affordable, is powerful (from what i've heard, read and seen), extensible, and didn't overwhelm me the moment i started the application.

anyhoo, i hope that's helpful in making your decision. have fun at the trade show - i'd be interested to know what you finally decided to buy :)

justG

comastalker ( ) posted Sun, 14 April 2002 at 6:28 AM

I've also tried everything. Rhino is a great modeller (if you're looking for a NURBS modeller (since there are big dirrences/and many pros and cons)) and Cinema4D seems to be the best when it comes to box-modeling (hyperNURBS, really, really easy to use). The only thing I myself wouldn't buy is Carrara modeler, I couldn't get anything of that prog (doesn't mean it good). You see, the biggest decision to be made is NURBS/polymodeling; check it out by trying some demos. NURBS is a bit more complex (it often seems harder to me). And forget 3dsm, it's lame. The only thing that's good is the material-editor (not the render-engine) and you're going to use poser, i think

Rani ( ) posted Sun, 14 April 2002 at 8:28 AM

my first 3D related program was rhino and i'm happy with it till this very day, it's easy to learn and can achive realy great results in both organic and mechanic modelling.

Guillermo ( ) posted Mon, 15 April 2002 at 10:38 AM

Ive used MAX, Cinema 4D and now I use Lightwave. Maybe this one is the most difficult but I think its the most powerful too. A great tool. MAX and Cinema are great too, but for modeling I prefer LW. ;-)

leather-guy ( ) posted Mon, 15 April 2002 at 5:05 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=662139

Thanks, all! I've posted the results of my informal survey for anyone who's curious at the link

tonyJ ( ) posted Mon, 15 April 2002 at 5:07 PM

If your just going to model I would go for Cinema 4D ART 7. Cinema XL without the animation of course, the reason for this are many, it has a good modeler that you will use, you will not pay for an animation system that you will not, what you will get as well as the modelling tools are a pro quality rendering engine/ output system, with radiosity and caustics, great communication with poser, an extremely powerfull shader and texturing package, access to a range of powerful free plugins including hair Dept for example, free hair anyone? and of course if you get really enthusiastic and eventually want to animate you can upgrade to XL7, You do not have to reinvest in a new package or learn a new system..outstanding in my opinion and I'm sticking by it...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.