Fri, Sep 20, 7:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: A Landscape

Stephen Ray ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 9:13 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 5:02 AM

file_5586.jpg

Usually don't do landscape type images, but I thought why not give Bryce a whirl at what it was made to do. So I did one. ( sun was done post ) Comments or critiques welcome.

Stephen Ray

Alleycat169 ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 10:23 PM

Wow! You should do more. Great work.

jmahoney ( ) posted Tue, 23 April 2002 at 10:38 PM

"why not give Byrce a whirl"? You've made it spin like a top! This is really nice. The post work on the sun is great.

dkirk ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 12:36 AM

I gotta know since I been using v4 all this time and haven't been able to come close to your stuff - is this Bryce 5 (except the sun)? Great job!

clay ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 12:43 AM

Pretty slick bud!!!

Do atleast one thing a day that scares the hell outta ya!!

cambert ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 3:35 AM

Beautiful work, beautiful postwork and great composition. I love the meander of the stream in the foreground, and the little waterfall. Maybe the foreground could be a tiny bit lighter, or maybe that's a gamma issue between computers?

bikermouse ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 3:40 AM

bet that took some cpu time. pretty good - the tall grass and little waterfall are neat effects. I'm alittle confused about the setting though. If you're below treeline shouldn't the background mountains be more rounded(granitic)? exellent. (as said by "Monty Burns").

johnpenn ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 6:54 AM

Nice work! I really enjoy looking at 3D art when there is nothing in the scene that screams at me because it's obviously computer generated. Subconsciously I know that the whole thing is Bryce, and I know how the entire scene is done. But the image goes beyond it's medium, and I don't even think about it. It's very refreshing to see 3D art that isn't tainted by its creation process. Keep up the good work.

yrtrouble2 ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 7:59 AM

Lovely landscape and I really like the work on the stream. You should do more!!

Flak ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 8:05 AM

The foreground stuff looks very sweet, and the sun is pretty good to. There's something about the mountains though... not sure what though (maybe they don't look far enough away from the foreground - not sure). But still, my first impression was "like wow" and my impression still is "like wow". Nice job.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

ariannah ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 9:28 AM

Count me in on the "Wow" contingent. Really nice work and I love not only the lighting and overall composition - but also the fact that this reminds me of a painting. I hope you will do more landscapes Stephen, since you obviously have a good eye for this genre. Thanks for sharing this image with us! :-)

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 9:36 AM

I like it! How did you do the river? Is the grass also post work? Treeline question: Not necessarily, rocks like that do appear below tree line.

Tirjasdyn

mboncher ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 11:51 AM

DOH! Wish I'd have done that... Great stuff, I hope only to get that good. The far cliff was a nice touch. The real gem of the picture is still that little waterfall. Priceless I've been trying to do those kinds of little details and features and haven't been successful yet... but give it time. A very painterly feel to it all as well.

Aldaron ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 12:40 PM

Lovely picture, very nicely done. The only thing that doesn't seem right to me is the waves in the stream coming from the water fall. To me they should follow the direction the stream is flowing, as it goes off to the right it looks ok.

Stephen Ray ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 2:12 PM

Wow what a response... Thanks everyone.. I'll try to answer some questions. dkirk: yes this is B5, but the only thing ( for this image ) B5 has over B4 is the tree generator, and premium effects. If you need some trees here's some mesh trees set up as B4 obp files. http://stevesartgallery.bryce-alive.net/downloads/bryce/obj/obj.html If you need premium render effects ...better get B5...lol cambert: it's not a gamma issue, it's just plan to dark, if the sun was a little lower ( behind the mountains ) then the dark foreground would be correct. bikermouse: to tell the truth, I don't know...cause I'm a Florida boy and I don't see a lot of mountains...so I'm just going by what's in my head. But hey... I can tell you about swamp land...lol Thanks John... that's a really nice complement and I appreciate it. Flak : good point, the mountains probably should be further back the scaled larger, that would probably work better than increasing the haze. ariannah: thanks, I tried doing a big waterfall about a year ago, ( what a disaster ) but now I'm thinking of giving another try in the near future. Tiejasdyn: For the grass I duplicated the terrain, raised the resolution then painted the spike effect in the TE. mboncher: I agree it's little details that really make an image. I've been Bryceing for 3 years now, and with every picture I try to learn something new. ( I'm hopping that's the secret to success. lol ) With this image I learned a bunch of short cuts and tricks in the TE. I posted them here earlier this week. http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=107&Form.ShowMessage=670621 Aldaron: I should have tried to put some water ripples at the waterfall. I used one water object for the stream, and just let the water material fall where it may.

Stephen Ray

Allen9 ( ) posted Wed, 24 April 2002 at 4:28 PM

Nicely done. I see the problem with the mountains. You have the sun placed Behind them, but there are shadows on the mountains with light coming from the front left. The entire face of the mountain should be in shadow because the sun is BEHIND the mountain. That's what makes it look a little off in that area. Still, it's very good work.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.