Thu, Oct 3, 2:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: Clothes fitting

sporkums ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 8:28 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 12:16 PM

Hi guys, I'm brand new to this site and Poser in general so please be patient with me. I'm trying to put clothing on the Victoria figure and a large amount of the clothes just don't seem to fit right. I know about making body parts invisible etc. but when I do that in this case it seems to make the figure look like its missing parts because the body part spans more than one piece of clothing (the one I'm having the most trouble with is the Swashbuckler set for Victoria). Also in many cases the clothing doesn't conform to the figure correctly, like it cuts into the figure. Any suggestions? I'm sorry if these questions sound really stupid.

jaybutton ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 8:41 AM

Hey Sporkums! You don't sound stupid at all! We all have to learn once, right? :) Anyway, the first step to getting clothes to fit right on your character (in this case, Victoria) is to conform it to the character, have you done that? So, what that means is: 1. Load character 2. Load clothing 3. Conform clothing to character In order to conform clothing to a character, select the Body of the clothing, click on the figure tab on the top of your Poser screen, then click on "Conform To . . . " Select Figure 1 or whatever figure it is that you want to conform the clothing to. Let us know if this works for you and don't be afraid to ask questions, its the best way to learn. :) Jay

Jim Burton ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 8:54 AM

Hi Sporkums!- IMHO, any clothing that doesn't fit the stock, unmorphed, unscaled figure through a reasonable amount of motion shouldn't be sold (or in Freestuff, for that matter). To me it is unacceptable to say things like "make the underlying body part invisabe", except for special circumstances, like gloves. After saying that, I know a lot of clothing is like that, worst case may be DAZ's original Vicky clothing set, which may have come out before it was quite ready for prime time.

the3dwizard ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 9:23 AM

Are you using morphs on the Victoria figure? If so the clothing figures will also need to have the same morphs. You might post a image of what you are trying to do to help us diagnose the problem :)

Jackson ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 10:12 AM

Welcome! Sporkums?

JimX ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 11:47 AM

It's also important to note that some clothes are designed to fit Victoria, and other clothes are designed to fit one of the other female characters, like the orginal female who comes with Poser 4. In general, the clothes intended for one do not fit well on the other. - JimX

sporkums ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 11:56 AM

Thanks all for your answers :) Yes, I did the conforming thingamabob but the clothes still look wierd...I'm trying to place the Swashbuckler clothing set on Vicki and the collar actually cuts through her neck, the boots don't snap to her feet and skin shows through in all places. Similar problems seem to pop up with the Changing Fantasy Suit and Sorceress Robe clothing sets that I bought off the Daz3D site last week. A couple of my friends who use Poser report similar problems with other sets.

the3dwizard ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 12:22 PM

So are you using morphs on Vicky? Are you applying these clothes to a character that you made or purchased?

RHaseltine ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 12:42 PM

Just to check, are you using Vicky and not Vic-to-P4?

sporkums ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 1:28 PM

I'm using Vicky P4, unmorphed. I haven't changed her at all when I apply these clothing sets.

c1rcle ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 1:38 PM

this might sound silly but are you using vicky or posette clothes on vickyp4? it does make a difference the vicky clothes won't fit vickyp4 only the posette stuff as she's been remapped to fit them

sporkums ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 2:08 PM

OOOOOH! LOL! I feel soooo dumb! So what exactly is the point of the P4 vicky? Does she have any special purpose or ability beyond the normal Vicky?

sporkums ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 2:23 PM

sigh I tried applying the clothing I had to Vicky 2 instead of the P4 version but again its not working...

KateTheShrew ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 2:40 PM

Ok, just two small bits of info, sporkums (welcome to poserland, btw smile) to help clear up some of your confusion. 1. The whole purpose of Vicky P4 is so that you can use clothing items that were designed for the P4 female model with Vicky's face. This also includes poses that were made for the original poser figures since the meshes are cut up and jointed a bit differently. 2. The problem with the boots and shoes thing, especially in the changing fantasy suit, are due to the fact that poser models are flat footed. In fact, the cfs, if I recall correctly, was intended to be used with the feet made invisible (at least,that's what it said in the readme file). It's impossible to get the foot to arch properly for some shoe styles without the use of a morph target. Sometimes, rather than turning something invisible all you need to do is rescale either the clothing or the body part just a bit. (if you'll look, the default scaling for the forearm is 114% instead of the expected 100%, but darned if I know why). Kate

sporkums ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 4:14 PM

Wow! Thank you so much, I was about to go out and buy some Barbie dolls with shoes and see if my logic was off or something :-p

hauksdottir ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 4:24 PM

Making hidden parts of the body invisible and non-shadow-casting (look under object properties in the menu above) will save rendering time (your machine doesn't have to make calculations for stuff which isn't going to show anyway). It will also save frustration in extreme poses where bits of skin will show at the inner seam of the legs or back of the shoulders or wherever. More important: it also allows clothing to be fitted more snugly. I'm real tired of seeing coats sized for gorillas because they have to fit over too-bulky sweaters as well as the person beneath. Tafetta stands stiffly away from the body. Cashmere clings. It would be lovely to be able to indicate the nature of the fabric by how it drapes over the figure. Carolly

bwldrd ( ) posted Tue, 07 May 2002 at 5:59 PM

Another suggestion on the footware would be to make sure the IK is turned off for the legs, set figure to default pose, and then conform the boots. Sometimes having the IK turned on causes things not to formfit properly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider me insane if you wish, but is your reality any better?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.