Sun, Sep 22, 1:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Animation

Welcome to the Animation Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Animation F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:34 am)

In here we will dicuss everything that moves.

Characters, motion graphics, props, particles... everything that moves!
Enjoy , create and share :)
Remember to check the FAQ for useful information and resources.

Animation learning and resources:

[Animations]

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Animators wanted for DragonCon video project

bobhobz ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 10:26 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 1:18 AM

My name is Bob Hobbs, scifi/fantasy/digital artist. In case you don't know who I am, I've been doing scifi illustrations since 1990 for such magazines as Amazing Stories and Talebones, books such as The Star Trek Concordance and Steve Jackson Games' New Sun rpg and Wizards of the Coast's Legend of the Five Rings ccg. Over 300 illustrations published so far. I also created the banner for the artshow this year.

Check out my website at www.geocities.com/SoHo/Coffeehouse/6571 for samples and client list.

Some of you may remember my posting a while back concerning a Virtual Opera project. That is moving along well and I appreciate all those who responded. You'll be contacted soon with more information on that when my production partner and the composer returns from Ireland.

Well, I'm planning on putting on a demonstration at this year's DragonCon and I'll need the help of about 12 animators looking for some exposure and self-promotion. This multi-media project will be shown at DragonCon's artshow and I will be making copies of it on CD as promos to be handed out at the convention and mailed out to Hollywood. There is no pay for this project but it'll be worth it's weight in gold for all the exposure you'll get at the nation's largest convention of it's kind which last year was attended by over 20,000 including celebrities, comic book companies, actors, authors and many other movers and shakers in the scifi business.

In a nutshell: I am scheduled to do a slide-show lecture showcasing my work. But I don't want to do the boring, 35mm slide show that is normally done by most artists. Instead I want it to be a video that is entertaining. I want to find 12 animators who will each be given several pieces of my artwork that are related to each other and I want an animation built around them.

The animation must include the artwork in some way, have a music track and last 3-5 minutes. A music video type thing which will last about 1 hour total when all the animations are assembled.

I'll edit and assemble all the animations in Adobe Premiere with the help of some video experts working with me and burn it to CD for presentation using a computer projection/sound system. Copies of the CD will be handed out to interested parties and I will also mail copies of it to animation houses in Hollywood so your name, contact info, etc. will be in the credits and on the CD cover which will be designed by me.

If interested, please contact me via email at bobhobz@bellsouth.net by May 28th. If I can't get 12 animators, then some may get to do more than one animation.

The animations must be exciting and can be done anyway you like to show off your talents.

More details to those who respond.

Hope to hear from you.

Bob Hobbs

wolf359 ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 11:37 AM

Im just curious..

whats to stop me from attending Dragon Con and passing out DVD/CD's of my animation work
myself or mailing them to "hollywood " myself
3 to 5 minutes of quality animation takes alot of skill, patience $$software$$and talent.

Dont Take this the wrong way but im not seeing the big benefit of providing
you with free animation content to dress up your Personal art CD as opposed to my own Direct mail and Web based self promotional efforts.
some upfront details on what kinds of usage rights you will be asking for might help your cause also.

My website

YouTube Channel

bobhobz ( ) posted Mon, 13 May 2002 at 6:55 PM

Good point, Wolf359...

And to answer your question, there's nothing from stopping you from doing your own animation and promoting yourself at DragonCon, Hollywood or anywhere else for that matter.

If you're a professional animator with lots of connections and promotional and marketing skills then you certainly don't need this little project at all.

I'm looking mostly for those who might be just starting out and could use the exposure but perhaps don't quite know where to go with it.

I have a few connections for example:

Dan Myrick (co-creator of the Blair Witch Project)
Marvin Gleicher (President of Manga Entertainment)
Kelly Kole (The Sopranos, Playboy, very big on the internet as a model...several of my paintings are of her so she'd certainly promote the animation that has her pictures in it)
Lilith Stabs (actress, model, web diva, lots of connections in the horror film business)
Alexandra Wolfe (President of The Wolfe Agency, Canada...big on scifi properties...many Hollywood connections)
etc.

I have ways of getting the CD in the hands of people who might make the trip a bit shorter for some of you. As for usage rights, I really only need it for the DragonCon convention. If no one responds to this project, then I'll abandon it and just do a painting demo or something.

I just had this cool idea, but don't have the animation skills to pull it off. It's like when I was in college. I entered a t-shirt design contest that was only open to art students at the college. There was no prize money, but getting my shirt printed by the biggest t-shirt company in Hawaii looked really good in a portfolio and opened a few doors. They got a shirt and I got the publicity.

If you have your own marketing program then by all means, go do that thing, get your stuff out there and I wish you success.

Slynky ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 1:45 AM

touchez

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 14 May 2002 at 5:30 AM

I hope you have alot of success as well Bob
Good luck to you. :-)

My website

YouTube Channel

bobhobz ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 10:33 AM

Thanks to all those who've contacted me so far. Still need a few more if anyone's interested.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.