Wed, Oct 9, 12:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 08 7:44 pm)

Subject: Where can I get Victoria for free?

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 3:41 PM · edited Wed, 09 October 2024 at 12:30 AM

There. That should wake up a few moderators. I dropped by DAZ earlier today, and noticed that the new low-resolution Victoria figures were in the store. As promised, Victoria 1.0 Reduced Resolution is free (although I was amused to see a 30%-off sale tag attached). She has about 19000 polygons, in comparison to regular Victoria's 28000 or so. Anyway, I just made a return visit and she's gone. I know they said "for a limited time" only, but .... Maybe I just caught them at a bad time while they're restocking the shelves. :)

hauksdottir ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 4:05 PM

Ah, but you signed in with your easily-recognized regular and respected nom-de-plume. If you wanted 16 mods with flamethrowers to pounce upon your miserable carcass and crisp it, you should have joined with one of those handles with num9ers and CapiTAl letters sprinkled haphazardly throughout. Oh, and a "z" at the end if possible. Hmmm.... sHarz4aLL? (It is actually easier to make up names for my dragons and aliens. I suppose we should be fortunate that keyboards don't have little pictograms, too. But who else has parenthetical thoughts 10 times longer than their seeds? ;^) ) Anyway, back to topic. I suspect that if the low res model was squashed down from the regular mesh, they might have discovered a way for hackers to unsquash it, and need to fix the code. Carolly

MadYuri ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 4:11 PM

Reg Price $34.95, 30% Off is $13.96 and it is on sale until March 11th.
I think they got their numbers for the new Rachel Hair in shambles. ;)

jarm ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 4:13 PM

You git, I was all ready to post standard sarcastic anti warez reply as normal......no fair Jody

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 4:40 PM

heyas; the low res victoria wasn't free, the low res victoria textures are/were free. at least, that's my understanding.

Marque ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 4:40 PM

There will be a free version, and a lo-res version as well. Marque

guslaw ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 4:48 PM

Just checked DAZ Low res Vicki 1 will be free for a limited time Low res Vicki 2 will be 40% off ($11.97, reg $19.95) for a limited time, but neither has been released yet.

danfarr ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 4:51 PM

Little Dragon. You Snooze, you loose:) Just Kidding! We had some last minute fixes and so it will be again up soon.

Basically the low resolution versions of Victoria and Victoria 2 are essentially opportunties for people who don't have Victoria or Victoria to take her for a test drive. It is also good for those who already own them to have a lower resolution version that requires less computer resources.

Our method to our madness is that we are hoping that this will help get more people using Victoria and thus help all of us who are developing Victoria related products. This means that the texture maps, motions, poses, hairstyles, and clothing available for Victoria here on Renderosity, DAZ and other places will stil work. Obviously, we hope that those people who try out the Victoria 1 low res will at least end up purchasing one of the other versions of Victoria. If this campaign works for us, you can expect to see more things like this in the near future.

Anyway, there is your long answer for a short question.

Dan Farr
President, DAZ Productions

kbennett ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 4:51 PM

Renderosity has a Zero Tol... oh, sorry. ;)

BAM ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 4:56 PM

When someone gets the low res Victoria can you please check to see if it too will have cross talk problems.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 5:11 PM
  • clicks imaginary stopwatch *

One hour, ten minutes. Come now, mods, you can do better than that. :)

It would take more than sixteen flamethrowers to crisp my hide, hauksdottir. Don't you know that dragons are fireproof?

Oooh, the low-res figures are back up! I think I'll grab them and the sample maps this time. I hope the fox-head morph looks okay at reduced resolution.

• clicks stopwatch again to see how long they stay up *

I'll let you know about the crosstalk problem in a while, BAM.

MadYuri ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 5:11 PM

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com/

The Victoria 1.0 Reduced Resolution Figure is up again. The price is $0.00. If that is to much you can use a voucher on this producht. ;)

wheatpenny ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 5:37 PM
Site Admin

Is there going to be a reduced res Mike, too?

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

scifiguy ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 5:52 PM

Thanks Daz! And yep...I'm hoping we'll see a low rez Mike option too! hint hint

Tashar59 ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 6:10 PM

I just got her. The Daz news letter said they were going to give a 5$ voucher to all of us who bought v1. Has anyone recieved theirs? It may take awhile with all of us. Tashar 59

Poppi ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 6:13 PM

I think she will be cool to try out the clothing that I model on. she should load quickly, etc. also...looks pretty easy to morph, from pictures of her mesh. gonna get her a bit later. i figure there is probably a stampede right about now. singing the happy song...pop...pop...pop!!!

VIDandCGI ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 6:15 PM

Great Idea on the LowRes versions, Opens up a whole new area to those people new to Poser who maybe cant afford yet to upgrade to the new Mil. Figures. Kudos to Daz on the innovative Idea :)

starmkr ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 6:23 PM

Just got my low res Vic 1 free and bought for 11.95 the low Res Vic 2. Look forward to playing..

Wadus ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 6:31 PM

whats the difference between vicki 1&2? I guess the low res models use the same hair,clothes, textures as the hi-res ones?? I am guessing morphs and stuff wont work tho...

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 6:40 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_8545.jpg

I'm buying the low-res Vicki 2, myself, since it has all of the morphs corresponding to the high-res version, and can wear Posette's clothing. But I'm playing with the free Vic 1 version at the moment.

Bad news, BAM. See image above. The full-body morphs still exhibit crosstalk between two copies of the low-res Vicki. The problem isn't with the DAZ figures, but with Poser itself. There is no ultimate solution, only workarounds. We'll have to wait until Poser 5 comes out for this to be resolved (hopefully).

The CR2 weighs in at a healthy 4.78MB, very relaxing on a low-memory system. How large is the Vicki 2 version, starmkr?

Wadus ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 7:04 PM

when I DLed it I got a mail that said I could only download it 2 times. I guess its gonna be for sale after the free period, so I would say a link here wouldnt work.

droyd ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 7:11 PM

I just "attempted" to download the low res Vicky. I was not however able to download when I got to checkout. Daz must be working on fixing whatever they were going to fix right now. My advice to everybody is wait a bit before you try it. You do have to go thru a checkout procedure with her, she's not set up for easy download like the typical daz weekly freebie. Looks promising tho and I can't wait to give her a whirl!

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 7:23 PM

That was probably just the usual DAZ online store checkout line snafu, where the download link doesn't show up. It happens occasionally. Check your Order History from the sidebar, or wait a few minutes for the email confirmation; you'll find download links in there.

droyd ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 7:36 PM

I got the email confirmation and there was no url listed on the email for the additional (2nd) download. She must be down right now. But hey give it a shot and see what happens. I've emailed Daz and they hopefully will get back to me and help me out.

PabloS ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 7:55 PM

I just d/l'd it. No prob. Just wondering...in this fervor, is anyone that owns V2 purchasing the lo-res V2? :-)

milamber42 ( ) posted Thu, 16 May 2002 at 10:11 PM

beryld,

My coupon was in an email with the subject "Free Stephanie Maps". It is good on DAZ (not brokered) Victoria add-ons only (clothing, hair, etc).

Lyrra ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 12:00 AM

LD, The mods came in - looked - shook their heads and went somewhere else. Jeez. You got me all excited for nothing man! :) Good to hear about the low res version - that'll be great for me when doing clothing texture tests (as even a stripped down Vicky is pretty system heavy) Lyrra

Lyrra ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 12:02 AM

Oh. wait! I'm a moderator now! shakes finger at Little Dragon Don't do it again young reptile! grin

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 12:19 AM
  • bobs head submissively, with fingers crossed * Yes, Mistress Lyrra. Sorry. Won't happen again. * mischievous grin * I've only now heard of your promotion to mod of the Texturing forum. Congratulations! Sounds much less stressful than riding herd over the Poser and OT forums.

Norbert ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 12:33 AM

It just HAD to be an EXE file... VIC1LORES caused an invalid page fault in module VISE32EX.DLL I can't install it.

hauksdottir ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 2:39 AM

Little_Dragon, I know quite well that dragons are fire-proof. That is why I specifically mentioned the flamethrowers. If I had said something about the guys with sacks full of itching powder or the stern-hearted women with pointy swords it might have been considered an attack upon a fellow member. ;^) To answer Pablo's question, I have Vicky2 and will most likely get this low-res version just to be able to fully populate a scene without a month-long render time. I did get notice of a $5 coupon to be offered, but not a coupon yet. It will take a while to email all of us anyway. Carolly

Abraham ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 2:50 AM

Thanks a lot DAZ :):):) I already own' the "regular" characters but I've just bought the low res one. Will really be a nice addition to make scenes where the character isn't seen close-up or when you need people in the background :) You really desserve a big thank for the nice way you treat us :) J-L

artnik ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 4:31 AM

There IS a FREE Vicky,lo-res, at DAZ. It's this week's freebie and I Just got it tonite. There's also a sample tex that's free. I think there's other free stuff too. I have to go back and check that out.

Lyrra ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 4:39 AM

LD As soon as I get used to mod-dom they'll probably give me more forums to watch over. :) I figured, hey, I'm here everyday anyway, I might as well help run the joint. ;) 'sides - the gossip is very cool heh heh So watch your tail - you never know where they'll be a Lyrra! And thanks :)

poser66 ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 5:10 AM

one q how the hell do you get the free vic to download ?? found it but it just sits there .... help how do i get my little hands on it.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 6:25 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Much, much gentler on system resources! I wouldn't dare try this with the regular Victoria on a system with only 128MB of memory!

Video clip (MPEG format, 219KB)

poser66:
You have to select your platform (Windows or Mac), then click the Add to Basket button, as if you were purchasing her. Then click the Checkout button at the top of the page.

triceratops2001 ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 7:36 AM

Little dragon, I have the same problem with poser66 I follow your way, it ask me 'buy' with account or not, i don't have any account, so I tried 'creat new account' and 'buy without account'. The page needed many informations and ask me where to 'ship the bill' so I need to creat account ? will they sent me a bill with of $0?

thomasrjm ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 7:54 AM

triceratops you have my sympathy, I went through the same rig-ma-roll crap and didnt get anywhere, the pages just went in ever decreasing circles and no download, after 20 minutes and 3 attempts I went away in disgust. Tommy.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 8:41 AM

I just got her !!
cant wait to try her ou to see if she animates easier in
real time

My website

YouTube Channel

BAM ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 9:22 AM

Little Dragon, I keep hoping that some creative person at DAZ will come up with a simplier solution to CL's problem. rbtwhiz, now a DAZ employee, came up with the current fix and I was just hoping that he or they had come up with something better. Every once in a while my conspiracy voice chimes in and I hear CL and DAZ conversing... "Wouldn't it be a great idea to only allow one version of a character in any one scene. That would force people to own many different, completely unique characters that they would have to buy from us" I don't remember. does this crosstalk problem exist with Posette?

Jim Burton ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 9:45 AM

Hey Dan, thanks, I got her! Classy move on DAZ's part! Is she going to be free forever or just for a limited time? Incidently, guys, once in awile when you place an order at DAZ the download link is missing at the bottom of the page, but you always seem to get the email confermation right away, with a link to a place that will let you download it twice.

artnik ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 11:19 AM

I had a little D/L trouble, I filled out all the info,etc. I did wind up getting it thru the e-mail URL that they sent me. It worked then. As I mentioned earlier, I now have her and the text. There's also some glitch with IE 5.5, which I use. There's info on the D/L page on what to do about it.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 17 May 2002 at 5:27 PM

BAM: It happens with Posette also, and with any character that has full-body morphs.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.