Sat, Sep 21, 12:57 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Camera Help

Rustbucket ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 12:55 AM ยท edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 12:31 PM

Ok kids, I'm a graphic designer and have very little knowledge about cameras and photography in general, but would like to dabble more in it for my designs. I realize its not something to just 'jump' into, but I'm starting to really get an eye for good images that I NEED to capture! Anyway, my question is this: I have a Canon AE-1 Program that I got as payment once from a rental tenant of mine who couldn't make his payment. He said it was worth about $250, and being the nice guy I am, I took it for partial rent. Now is this a good camera for taking good shots generally? Do many people here have experience with this camera? I'd love to get a quality digital camera, but they're so friggin expensive to get something that even compares in clarity to a 35mm it seems! Should I keep and expand with the Canon AE-1? Or should I opt for the digital camera and just not buy groceries for the next few months? :) Thanks.

bsteph2069 ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 1:38 AM

My father has one. He's seem to be happy with it. I have no idea of your cameras condition. So I don't know what type type of lenses you have or don't. But I've seen many people do quite good work with it. There is nothing wrong with a quality 35mm camera. If you can afford a good digital camera after a few months of skipping groceries how much do you eat! :-) Seriouisly, weather you NEED a digital is your decision but I would have you consider this. With what you have and a reasonable scanner you can do the same thing that you basicalkly can with a digita camera. Perhaps more depending on the type of diogital you buy. The controoling factor with me and 35mm is the film and development cost. Just a suggestion. Bsteph

Rork1973 ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 5:09 AM

I wouldn't trade in the AE-1 for a digital camera of any kind. The Canon isn't rated as valuable by stores for some weird reason, and you're bound to loose on money and on quality. If I were you I'd have a go with this wonderful camera, which is still very popular among (starting/student) photographers....which doesn't mean it's only useable for starters/students. Canon has many great lenses and things, and if you spend some money on good (slide or bw) film, you should be able to make great photos! =) Well, maybe there's some info on www.photo.net......try searching for AE-1

Slynky ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 7:05 AM

I was gonna try and haglle for a Canon A-1, whic Im told was something like the AE-1. It woulda been worth the money to me, but I dont got 250$US to spend, so dang

Antoonio ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 7:38 AM

I had AE-1, and I curse the day I lost it. I loved that camera, but was so blinded by word "autofocus" that I sold it. Ok, I have a nice Minolta now, but nothing beats the feeling of good old AE-1. And those pics, awww... sigh I agree, its harder to took pics than with these modern cameras, but in the same time, you will learn way much more with that treasure. And that mood, I cant describe it. Not just snappin' pics, with AE-1 you're taking photos. And speaking about the price, it totally depends what did you get with it. Flash? Objectives? I bet you can find proper price from the net. If you are a fan of hitec, love lots of buttons and dingdalongspulloffs, just want to take pics, sell it and get a digicam. Its more easy way. But if you like old stuff, like to take some time and go in for photography, dont sell it, you're gonna regret it later, believe me. I know what I'm talking about. .n

Rustbucket ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 7:44 AM

Hey, thanks for the input, guys. I am leaning toward just keeping the AE-1. I only have the 1:8 "stock" lens but plan on getting some better ones for it. It seems the AE-1 would ultimately be more versatile than a digital camera. Thanks again!

randyrives ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 9:34 AM

AE-1 is a good camera. About digital, that is about all I shoot now. I still don't have a high mega-pixel camera, mine is 2.1. But I just got the Oly 2100 UZ with a 10x optical zoom and love it. The cost of film and development helps me justify the expense. My first vacation with a digital I took about 1,000 pics. If I had done this with film it would have cost me about $400.00 which is almost what I paid for my new 2100uz. --Randy R

Antoonio ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2002 at 1:06 AM

I agree you Randy, digital is, after all, cheaper and easier to use. But, you cant get the same feeling as you get with good old manual camera. In 70% of my pics, I use digital, but sometimes I miss that manual feeling, that little excitement before taking a shot, that little itc in index finger. It's just not the same anymore. sigh .n

jhazard ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2002 at 7:21 AM

Attached Link: http://minali.image.pbase.com/u8/jhazard/upload/1495394.eggs.jpg

I agree with above, keep the AE1. I have one, I will never get rid of it. Digital is great, don't get me wrong, but it has it's limitations. I'd especially hold onto the 1.8 lense you have - it will get you shots that digtial cannot do. The AE 1 is a great learning camera for both traditional photogrpahy and digital. just shoot film, and get the negs scanned to a kodak photo cd, and you're all set - best of both worlds until you decide it's time to go digital all the way. Take care, Jerry (the image attatched was shot with an AE 1.)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.