Tue, Oct 22, 3:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:26 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: C2 and Poser

PAGZone ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 1:21 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 3:33 AM

Hi, To the C2 stars, It is mentioned in the press release that C2 will include better Poser 4 support. What does this mean exactely? Can C2 host Poser files or just exported charachters. I noticed a picture of Victoria rendered in C2 by Ringo on the Official Carrara Group and it looks increadible! Any info on this feature would be cool. I am also wondering about posing a charachter in C2 as well as textures etc... Thanks, -Paul

brycetech ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 8:02 AM

the current version of carrara does not properly support the uv mapping on an obj model. The new version is supposed to do it right. As a test, I sent Ringo a 'torture test' model that he is supposed to render and post...its my hairy spider model. If Carrara can render it properly, the uv mapping problems associated with the current uv mapping will be history. :) crossing my fingers that it works properly BT

litst ( ) posted Mon, 20 May 2002 at 8:54 AM

Hi guys, I know some problems about the import had been fixed (one concerning names) . The biggest change is that Uvmapping is now handled well :) . And also, subdivision surfacing will allow you to get more details on your models . Unfortunately, no real work side-by-side between CS2 and Poser, and no animation import . But now we'll have bones for anims . litst

PAGZone ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 4:02 PM

Cool Thanks Guys. I hope to see that test file soon. -Paul

brycetech ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 4:20 PM

ringo rendered it we are still checking it out. however, first impression is that tho the mapping is GREATLY improved, it is still not 100% correct. probably ~90-95% is more accurate. Cant really say until I actually get C2 in my hands. Ive already ordered mine so I expect it shortly after the 5th..hopefully by that weekend (if I'm lucky) Im very pleased that the seams that used to exist when using obj models and their texture maps is now gone. This was a major gripe of mine and almost always required a rework of a texture. This appears to be history...very good news to those of us who rely on obj models for realism and interest in their renders. as for the parts that arent working the way I'd expect, I think those can be easily worked around/with to make really great renders :) cant wait to get my copy...wonder if I call them every day if they'd just send it now? lol BT

PAGZone ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 5:58 PM

Attached Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Carrara/files/Carrara%20STudio2/SpiderFinal.jpg

I saw the render it looks great. However I don't have anything to compare it to. But none the less it looks awesome. How much tweaking needed to be done to make it look close to right? I have attached the link of the file on Yahoo groups... -Paul

brycetech ( ) posted Tue, 21 May 2002 at 10:08 PM

The image posted by ringo requires near no changes to be correct (as far as the render goes) to simulate hair..and this was a very uv intensive mapping. You can see it at: http://www.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=7988 I only have one other model more intense for mapping than the spider, and that is a hairy bat. Not sure if I should bug him with the bat or not. Im sure the cd is already being made by now if its expected to ship in a couple weeks. http://www.renderosity.com/softgood.ez?ViewSoftgood=7402 BT

Ringo ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2002 at 8:06 AM

file_9124.jpg

Here is our famous Victoria render in CS2. Yes much better Poser suppport and you can add bones to them also. Ringo

Ringo ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2002 at 8:13 AM

file_9125.jpg

Here is the Hairy spider from Brycetech. The Gold Master CD when out on the 15th of the month. The boxes are done. Just waiting for the manauls etc. Ringo

draub ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2002 at 3:43 PM

Woohoo! There absolutely is better Poser support.

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2002 at 9:13 PM

Just got Poser, been Brycing for a few years now. I'm looking at buying a modeler cuz I'm tired of the freeware stuff. Carrara is on my list of things to watch and CS2 definitely has my attention. Ok, threads like this are very positive and I am inclined to stay with MetaC stuff.

draub ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2002 at 9:51 PM

Heh. If you're inclined to stay away from the MetaC stuff...you should've never started Brycing or using Poser ;) But seriously, yeah! I think CS2 is going to be quite the tool...especially now with the fact that it handles Poser imports better.

brycetech ( ) posted Wed, 22 May 2002 at 10:57 PM

this was mentioned as a 'minor' upgrade. UV is not clearly understood by a lot of people. With carrara's new ability to properly handle obj uv mapping, it puts C2 in a whole new bracket. No more 'stills only' or 'cartoon animations only' you can now do things as detailed as seen in the latest star wars in the collisium (sp?) with amidala, anikan, and obiwan. this is not a small thing...its HUGE. Combine that will all the other very cool tools and things carrara can do...you've got a mini maya, lightwave or 3ds max at a price anyone can afford! BT

EricofSD ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2002 at 4:52 PM

draub, I think you misread, I said I was inclined to stay WITH metaC stuff. I enjoy Bryce very much and am starting to get into Poser. I like that too. Surely you relize that when people buy their first app they often don't know if they will really like it or not until after they have used it a while. After almost 4 years of Bryce, I definitely like it so it was a happy accident when I got started, not a planned event.

draub ( ) posted Sat, 25 May 2002 at 5:18 PM

Doh! I should learn to read things twice. As if I can read or something ;) I hear you about that first app. Luckily Bryce was mine too. Over the years I've tried a few different ones and just could never get into them. But the former MetaC stuff seems to have been a good base for the new owners to build off of...and it looks like Eovia did something MetaC never even considered (or perhaps couldn't?) pulling off...better integration between the former MetaC apps.

thomllama ( ) posted Sun, 26 May 2002 at 8:49 PM

actually Ray Dream had a plugin that let poser be worked directly inside it... and i have missed it since carrara came out... will be glad to see some support for poser again!!!!

Hexagon, Carrara, Sculptris, and recently Sketchup. 

milamber42 ( ) posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 2:36 PM

Ringo, Has anyone tried J. Burton's hair or Anton's Changing Ponytail with C2? Being able to bone a character raises some interesting possibilities. Once a character is boned, I wonder how easily a Poser animation could be converted (via a program) to C2?

milamber42 ( ) posted Tue, 28 May 2002 at 9:06 PM

Can you lucky beta testers also explain how the Photon Maps (for GI) differ (or do they?) from the the UV mapping?

Can C2 also render real reflections, like in a mirror?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.