Mon, Sep 9, 7:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Type 10 error/crashes with Poser patch (Mac)

riskebiz ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2000 at 3:02 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 7:42 AM

I've been getting Type 10 error's trying to open Poser lately and the only way to open Poser is by re-installing it everytime it happens. Restarting my computer doesn't help, nor does trashing my preferences. Poser is only good for a few days and then I have to re-install it again. This the new upgrade patch version of Poser. What does a Type 10 error mean and how can I get a more stable Poser application? This very frustrating. I have plenty of memory applied to the application and I do that every time I re-install.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2000 at 4:08 PM

Normally it is a memory thing ... Also you might need to clear the p-ram when you crash a lot. Command option p and r when you start up .. it will ding and flash three times and then you let go. The only suggestion is to allocate as much memory as possible to it .. Hope that helps

riskebiz ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2000 at 4:55 PM

Hmm ... I do have a ridiculous amount of memory allocated to it already.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2000 at 6:21 PM

I am not ure then .. I typically don't have any problems except the odd crash or too many figures thing ... Wish I could help more

lmacken ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2000 at 6:40 PM

Type 10 is a generic error, something happening in memory. Boot with Extensions off (Shift key down at startup); if Poser works OK use the Extension Manager to sort it out. If Poser still fails, boot from your System software CD (letter C down at atartup). If it's OK then, it's your basic System software and you re-install that. If you haven't trashed the Poser Prefs file (Preferences folder in the System folder) do so. Good luck.

riskebiz ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2000 at 7:01 PM

But supposedly Poser doesn't have any extensions, so it shouldn't cause any conflicts anyway. Right?

Eric Walters ( ) posted Wed, 09 February 2000 at 8:01 PM

The type 10 error is a" (dslineFErr) Line 1111 Trap error" What that means I could not tell you cept it has to do with memory! I have not had this crash yet with 4.02.116 (Beta 7) I got a freeware app (from the FEB 2000 issue of MacWorld) called Sad Mac that gives this "useful" info. What I find that for anything but single figures I need a large amount of RAM. I had to switch on VM because 120 MB allocated to Poser was not enough! What is the huge amount you have allocated? Good luck! It sounds like your poser is getting corrupted each time this happens. Perhaps you have an OS problem. I chased after gremlins of this sort till I felt dizzy. The cure was to run DiscWarrior, and Norton, then cleanly install OS 9. Everything is happier now! Eric Walters

Freakachu ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2000 at 1:37 AM

Riske--a conflict extension means that an extension you already have on your machine is conflicting with an application. The application itself doesn't have to have any extensions. The only extensions Poser needs are the QuickDraw 3D and QuickTime extensions (for exporting 3DMF, QuickTime movies, and reading JPG files). Then try to sort out what ones are causing the program to crash.

MartinC ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2000 at 3:02 AM

I mentioned it a couple of times before, but it is still valid: You may sometimes run into trouble by giving too much memory to Poser... You should check the available memory in the Finder "About", and then give Poser as much as possible, but 5-10 MB less than available. Certain extensions (QuickTime included) will force the System to grow a bit. Typically, when the whole memory is taken, it tries to free some ("Finder can't leave this window open"... you'll know that), but sometimes it just crashes. This is especially true for some more obscure extensions with little error checking when they try to get more. It is unlikely that this is the case here (because riskebiz said restarting won't help), but it definetely is a good pre-caution.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2000 at 3:52 PM

Martin Absolutely! I have seen OS9 grow from 28 to 48 MB depending on what is being done. Its really good to remember that! P4 seems to want more RAM than P3-most of my crashes have revolved around limited RAM. Now when I render anything beyond single characters against plain background, I switch on VM (leave it OFF since it screws up Photoshop) and give P4 250 MB or so to play with. Slow-but much more stable! thanks for your input! Eric

Freakachu ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2000 at 4:32 PM

Also--it seems that the Mac version of P4 REQUIRES more memory than its PC counterpart.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2000 at 7:32 PM

It certainly requires much more than 3.0. I used to render scenes with 3-4 characters (each with 20+ extra morph targets loaded), + scenery+ props. Typically I would have VM off and perhaps 60-90 MB allocated to P3. I do like P4-but OUCH on memory! With P4 I can't even imagine how much RAM that would take-actually, perhaps I ought try rendering one of my P3 PZ3's in P3 AND P4 and find out. Eric Walters

lmacken ( ) posted Thu, 10 February 2000 at 8:21 PM

Way back then, I mentioned extensions mainly to qualify your System software. You've gotten some good advice since. My suggestion is you let us know how it works out. =)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.