Tue, Oct 22, 1:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Animation

Welcome to the Animation Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Animation F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:34 am)

In here we will dicuss everything that moves.

Characters, motion graphics, props, particles... everything that moves!
Enjoy , create and share :)
Remember to check the FAQ for useful information and resources.

Animation learning and resources:

[Animations]

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Movie Animation

digitek ( ) posted Mon, 27 May 2002 at 5:03 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 11:11 PM

I was wondering if anyone here knew what program(s) was used to create the movie Shrek? Its the one with voices from Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz, and John Litgow.

Slynky ( ) posted Mon, 27 May 2002 at 5:58 PM

from everything I've heard, about 80% of the software was created in-house specifically for the movie, with 20% being store bought. As for the names of any of them, I haven't a clue. I know Pixar uses Marionette, but also as far as I know they don't sell it. They do sell Pixar Renderman though, fopr an extremely exorbatant price.

digitek ( ) posted Mon, 27 May 2002 at 6:35 PM

Thanks man

Aldaron ( ) posted Mon, 27 May 2002 at 7:01 PM

They used a modified Maya.

digitek ( ) posted Mon, 27 May 2002 at 8:01 PM

Ok i found it Both of you were right they used Pixar Renderman and its a plugin for Maya

nemirc ( ) posted Fri, 31 May 2002 at 7:04 PM

Attached Link: http://sotos-digital.cjb.net

As they specify on the DVD, they used a program named "Shaper", nothing to do with Maya nor Renderman. Don't bother looking for it. If you want to learn it, get a job at PDI

nemirc
Renderosity Magazine Staff Writer
https://renderositymagazine.com/users/nemirc
https://about.me/aris3d/

Aldaron ( ) posted Fri, 31 May 2002 at 8:22 PM

OK so I was wrong somewhat. 90% of the software they used they created, which some of it was from they used for Ants....the other 10% was off the shelf of which Maya MAY have been used. Anyway the commercial for Maya would like you to believe Maya was used. The character animation was done with a program they created for Ants to do the facial animation called "Shaper", which they applied to the whole body in Shrek. Basically all the muscles are simulated and the mesh morph is done from the inside out (i.e. if a muscle bulges when it is moved then it morphs the mesh appropriately).

stewer ( ) posted Sun, 09 June 2002 at 9:37 AM

They use all kinds of software for the different stages. While there's no reason why they would not have used Maya as modeling tool, it seems like they wrote their own particle systems and animations software for the characters. Of course they did render on PRMan, with it being their own product and one of the best and most flexible renderers available. The making of on the DVD is worth a look, although it doesn't go too much in deep.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.