Sun, Oct 6, 9:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Prop Posing Angst-- please advise?

Strangechilde ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 3:33 PM · edited Wed, 07 August 2024 at 1:05 PM

file_10625.jpg

I'm trying to make a pose file that will correctly position Awful Soul's Mechalien Eyes (Marketplace here) to Caleb68's Alien Spider Drone (also marketplace here). I think these fantastic eyes suit this beautiful beastie perfectly-- it's something I'll want to put into Freestuff if I get it working. :) I've got the eye scaled and positioned. I generate a pose file for it. It asks "Include morph targets in pose file?" "Yes", I say, thinking 'scale' might be a morph target (the eyes need to be scaled to 340%), and anyway wanting to preserve side-side and slant. When I apply the pose to a newly loaded eye, it goes right where it should, but the scaling doesn't transfer. It's perfectly well centered, so I can easily do the scaling manually, but it would be nice if it did that automatically. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrongly? Thanks!

c1rcle ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 3:51 PM

this is a stab in the dark but have you parented the eyes to the head or the original eyes? that might make them stay where they should be, or you could position the eyes and scale them then replace the originals with your new eyes. Rob

Strangechilde ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 4:50 PM

Hi C1rcle! The way Awful Soul has set up the eyes, they are smart propped to the relevant eyes (left and right) when you load them; they are separate props. Awful Soul has included pose files to make the eyes work with the Daz millennium figures and the P4 figures, which work a charm. All you need to change is the pose file to get them positioned properly. Position in my pose file works-- just not the scale.

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 5:02 PM

I don't think scaling information is saved with poses. It can, however, be transfered with Morph Manager. Save the critter with the eyes as a character and then copy the eyes' scale channels into the pose file.

Strangechilde ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 5:18 PM

I'll try that with MacConstructor-- I think I have an idea of what to do. Thanks!

Strangechilde ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 5:36 PM

Oh dear, I fear I can't do that. I can't transfer morphs from .cr2s to .pz2s, unfortunately. Hmm... What to do?

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 6:28 PM

You could try replacing the spider drone's eyes with the Awful eyes, then save the new character to the Library. I believe there's a section in the Poser manual on replacing body parts with props.

Strangechilde ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 6:36 PM

Yes, I can do that easily enough, and for that matter I don't really mind changing the scale each time-- the positioning was the hard part. If it were just for my use I would juat save a new character to the Lirary with the Awful Eyes in place. But I was hoping to make a batch of poses for the alien, and was hoping to include one to position the Awful Eyes-- not much good if it doesn't work right out of the box!

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 6:39 PM

Good point. Redistributing the .cr2 would be a bit tricky.

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 6:49 PM

There's always copying the scaling information with a text editor.

3ddave44 ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 7:58 PM

try saving it without the "include morph targets" if only for the hell of it but I've been confused by that myself and in all the props I've made recently I've saved them without the morph targets and they've worked and the original imported models were scaled down. So just try em that way. Also if you have a text editor, like Notepad or Wordpad in Windows (don't know what in mac if you're on a mac...) you can open any .pz2 or .cr2 files and if you familiarize yourself with them you'll soon see the sense of them and know how you can mix elements from other .pz2 into whatever one needs them. (ie, that's one way of doing the morph transfers that were talked about in the earlier post). Now, whether or not components of a .cr2 are compatable to the format of a .pz2 I don't know - can't remember cause I don't delve into .cr2s too much.

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 8:43 PM

They are. All poser formats are more or less the same, which is why you can rename your poses into camera files if you run out of space in the pose folder. I often rename clothes from CR2 to PP2 so they won't replace the character I'm trying to put them on. They still come in as a character.

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 11:47 PM

I THINK THIS WORKS Assuming that the eyes are props, and are parented to the body, this is how you could do it. Load your pose file into a text editor, search for the name of your prop. e.g. if the prop is called "box_1" search for "box_1". You should see these lines: prop box_1:2 { channels { Now insert the following text: propagatingScale scale { { static 0 k 0 3.4 } interpStyleLocked 0 } And resave the file. The line that says "k 0 3.4" defines the scale, the decimal point is in a different place than how it appears on the dial, but "k 0 3.4" =340%. Hope this helps.

lesbentley ( ) posted Thu, 30 May 2002 at 11:48 PM

file_10626.jpg

Here is a pic.

Strangechilde ( ) posted Fri, 31 May 2002 at 7:03 AM

Hmm. I seem to be cursed. Thanks all, but it still isn't working! I tried saving the pose without the morph targets. Again it went where it was supposed to go, but without the scaling. Lesbently, I tried editing the pose file but had the same result. I must admit I'm completely unfamilliar with text editing of these things. Here's what I typed: prop Mecha_right:1 { channels { propagatingScale scale { { static 0 k 0 3.4 } interpStyleLocked 0 } targetGeom Open_2 ('targetGeom Open_2' had been the next line after 'channels'). Did I do something wrong here? Does the tabulation matter? I tried to get it as it looks in your picture. Thanks!

Strangechilde ( ) posted Fri, 31 May 2002 at 2:26 PM

Hi! Tried to post earlier, but encountered an inexplicable glitch. Weird. The eyes are props, .pp2 files. Oiginally, the poses I'd made applied to the whole figure. I've just tried making poses that apply to only the eye (select subset, unticked everything but the eye; should I have left 'universe' ticked?) and putting in the text you showed me. Still no banana. :( It would be very kind of you, if you wanted to have a look at the files. You're on a PC, aren't you? Mine is a Mac; I'll have to turn it around if so.

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 31 May 2002 at 4:15 PM

No, un-tick universe, then select the things you want to include. Yes I am on a PC.

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 31 May 2002 at 4:20 PM

Also try posting your question to the "Poser Techinical" forum, some smart people there.

Strangechilde ( ) posted Fri, 31 May 2002 at 4:21 PM

OK! I'll convert the files and send them on. I've ditched the ones that were for the whole character; they didn't work, so I deleted them. Thanks ever so much for helping me out with this!

Strangechilde ( ) posted Fri, 31 May 2002 at 4:42 PM

Good idea! I hadn't thought of that. I'll do that right away. :)

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 03 June 2002 at 6:15 PM

I have inserted the following code into Strangechilde's pose files, to allow them to scale the eye props, and sent them back to him/her. Strangechilde has tried these files with the new code and apparently, THEY WORK!?! So I am posting the code here for the benefit of those who are following this thread. It somewhat cut down from my original attempt. prop Mecha_right:1 { channels { #----New code starts---- propagatingScale scale { keys { k 0 3.4 } } #-----New code ends---- targetGeom Open_2 { keys

lesbentley ( ) posted Mon, 03 June 2002 at 7:06 PM

Note that in the above k 0 3.4 is the scaling factor and is equil to 340% on the dial, so the decimal point has shifted two places to the left. If you just wanted to scale in one dimension, say zScale, then the code should be: propagatingScaleZ zScale { keys { k 0 3.4 } }

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.