Sat, Sep 21, 3:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: photoshop graphite pens

bburgess ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2002 at 3:20 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:43 AM

Could anyone please help me I have just bourght photoshop 7 and want to buy a Digital Graphic Tablets but there are so many on the market, I was hoping that someone could recommend one, Maybe someone has one that thay use and can recommend it.

Many Thanks

Brian

dreamer101 ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2002 at 3:57 PM

I have the Wacom Graphire 5 x 4 tablet. Actually, I have 2 of them. I have a USB one on one machine and the serial one on the other. I like this size as I use the stylus daily as a mouse. I can't be without it now. If you are a canvas artist, used to larger painting surface and will use a mouse for everyday stuff than you can go to a larger size. The larger you get the more it will cost you. Here is the link for their Wacom Graphire 2 which goes for $99.95 (let's say $100 LOL). Pressure sensitive pen & cordless, batteryless mouse Graphire2's pen has 512 levels of pressure, so you can easily edit your digital photos or make a quick sketch. Graphire2's cordless, batteryless mouse has no ball to clean so it never skips. Combine all this with the stylish Graphire2 tablet, and you have the perfect solution for all your input needs - in a space no bigger than a mousepad. Graphire2 includes: The Graphire2 Pen, complete with programmable DuoSwitch, built-in eraser and 512 levels of pressure sensitivity. The three-button cordless, ball-free Graphire2 Mouse complete with fingerwheel. The Graphire2 tablet with removable pen stand and transparent overlay for easier tracing. Adobe Photoshop LE & Corel Painter Classic - so you can edit your favorite photos, or simply draw and paint on your computer

retrocity ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2002 at 4:06 PM

Hey Slinky!!! your wisdom is required...

bburgess, i use a WACOM "Intuos" (9x12) at the office and a smaller "Graphire2" at home.

If you use or plan on using Photoshop for anything more than basic color correction or applying filters to images, a pressure-sensitive tablet IS the way to go!!!

You'll find drawing with a stylus far more natural than using a mouse or trackball.

I love mine and would have a hard time adjusting back to a "block-of-wood" (mouse).

...it's like driving an automactic after years of driving a "stick", what do ya' do with your foot?? there ain't no clutch!!!

:)
retrocity

desy ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2002 at 7:40 PM

I agree the way to go for artwork is a graphics tablet, the difference is stunning. I have to say though that I prefer the Intuos Tablet over the graphire just because of the extra sensitivity. How ever the cost of the Intuos is a LOT higher. So if you cant afford it go with the Graphire. I never have gotten good at using the tablet as a mouse so I still use both.... the tablet for drawing and the mouse for surfing etc. Mostly because I am stubborn though I think! If you want to see the difference in my art between using a mouse and using the tablet check out my gallery. All of the images of the birds were done with the tablet the older ones were done with a mouse.

Heronheart ( ) posted Thu, 20 June 2002 at 9:51 PM

A graphics tablet makes a world of difference. I use a Graphire2 5x4. You can sometimes find reconditioned ones at a good discount. You should probably get a Wacom in any case. They make the Graphire, Intuos, etc. If you do much graphics work the time savings will quickly pay for the tablet. Also the new Photoshop 7 brushes will be much more fun to play with when you have a tablet. In fact, I would probably say go for the Intuos, not only does it have more levels of sensitivitity, but you can also get pens that will sense pen tilt and stylus wheel while the Graphire will only sense pressure. Of course, if you've got the three grand to spend just get the Cintiq ;-) - Ken Heronheart -

Cinema1954 ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2002 at 12:34 AM

I'm still using a 4 X 5 Wacom Artpad II that I bought about a hundred years ago... it's outlived 5 computers and several operating systems, and I wouldn't be without it.

Annie

Quinn ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2002 at 7:06 AM

I have to go with the flow on this one, Wacom gets my vote. My first tablet was a Aiptek, and had nothing but problems with it. Granted that was 5 or so years ago. I currently use a Intuos 12X12, and love it, though the size is a bit to big. The other is the Wacom PL 500, this is the predecessor of the Cintiq, I dont think the price is worth the advantage, and I end up using my standard tablet more often anyway. Word of warning, in my case anyway, switching from mouse to tablet takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it you most likely will wonder how you did without it.

retrocity ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2002 at 8:43 AM

Quinn, you mentioned the "Cintiq". Does anyone have one? Anyone take it for a "test drive" at a showroom or Expo? Think it's worth to cost?? I like the idea, but hate dumping money (especially my own) on technology that may improve rapidly (making it a costly outdated piece of hardware)... :) retrocity

Heronheart ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2002 at 9:26 AM

Another good reason to go with the Wacom is that the company will likely be around awhile. My first tablet was a Creation Station, very similar to a Wacom Graphire, but now discontinued. When I ran into a driver conflict with another piece of hardware I was SOL. Also no Windows XP driver available. So after 3 years I bought the Graphire because I couldn't imagine doing without a tablet. On the other hand, the Creation Station was worth every penny of the $99 I paid for it and I still use it on the "basement computer". - Ken Heronheart -

fuchsia16 ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2002 at 2:07 PM

what is this graphic tablet u guys r talking about retrocity i would like to know?
i did'nt understand any thing sorry
bye

retrocity ( ) posted Fri, 21 June 2002 at 3:35 PM

file_13309.jpg

Fuchsia, a graphic tablet is different type of input device (like your mouse), but instead of moving your mouse around a mouse pad, clicking and dragging to simulate drawing (or erasing) you use a stylus (which is shaped like a pen) which feels more natural in developing artwork. The main reason I use a tablet with photoshop is for the control.

If you want more information check out the Wacom website.

For a real trip look at the "Cintiq". With this tablet you apply the pen directly to the screen.

My stylus has not replaced my mouse altogether, but the buttons are alot less worn! ;)

fuchsia16 ( ) posted Sat, 22 June 2002 at 6:32 AM

oh my god,
thats really cool,
well actually i am a painter as well i mean i have been doing lots of paintings in oil and watercolor mediums and sketching of landscapes and now my attentions are diverted towards computer graphics and i dont really like handling mouse i was thinking of buying a pen mouse kind of thing ,
its really good it makes graphic work easier ofcourse,
thank u so much for giving me the information about this as well as the link url here.
thanx retrocity,
u r great.

TheDarkLord ( ) posted Sat, 22 June 2002 at 7:31 PM

retro, i used a cintiq for about 3 months and it truly is the best thing i have ever used. you wouldnt believe the ease of seing exactly where you are drawing. the 18sx is a tad pricey, but i went with geting one instead of a new comp and i loved it. if u can afford it, buy it. now.

retrocity ( ) posted Sat, 22 June 2002 at 10:10 PM

TDL, maybe i can submit a request at the office for one under the guise of increased productivity ;)

I hope the price comes down a little so it may be a reality at some time in the near future!

thanks for the input,
retrocity

Slynky ( ) posted Sun, 23 June 2002 at 11:16 PM

sorry, wisdom for what if I may? Retro, fill me in and I'll do my best... in short, if you can afford an Intuos, get one. If you can't, the graphire is also a darn good investment, and only 150$ (Canadian that is)

Slynky ( ) posted Sun, 23 June 2002 at 11:17 PM

also, look at Baalzebub's work here on rosity... he can't stand tablets, only uses a mouse. different strokes for different folks

johnfeld ( ) posted Wed, 26 June 2002 at 2:04 PM

Beware of ANYTHING that is not Wacom. You will be sorry. We reviewed tablets for our magazine and Wacom is the ONLY one. There tech support is outstanding, and the tablets seem to last forever.
Most people, even artrists used to large a convas feel happiest with 6 X 8 or samller,
Editor
PC Graphics Reports

retrocity ( ) posted Wed, 26 June 2002 at 3:36 PM

John, I can't agree more! I've not had any "driver" problems since going with WACOM. Even if you can find a tablet cheaper, it's not worth the down-time, the tech-support calls, and the reinstalling drivers... Ever since my first WACOM tablet I've just taken for granted WACOM was the way to go... :) retrocity

Slynky ( ) posted Wed, 26 June 2002 at 5:56 PM

i had a huge problem recently regarding my graphire, and even tho it literally fixed itself (didn't work thru 8 restarts, then the next day, after not doing anything, it just started working again...), i must say that the tech support was VERY in depth, and very prompt (3 replies in 2 days).

JordyArt ( ) posted Sat, 29 June 2002 at 6:07 AM

I personally wouldn't say DON'T buy anything but a Wacom - it's horses for courses really.... depends on the level of professionalism you want to go to the extent of pressure sensitive. Shop around. I bought a Genius pad about 8 months back for 25 ($30?) - ok, the pen still had a wire and there's no pressure sensetivity, but for what I do it's brilliant - responsive, fast, the wire is long and light enough to totally ignore and a third of the price - and I've not had a slightest bit of bother with it on 2 pc's and a laptop, even after dropping it and it being stood on. Apart from that I agree, 100% better than a mouse. Even my cheap one proves that, but if like a few of us you have to go for the bargains there ARE alternatives to Wacom. (",)

timinator ( ) posted Sun, 30 June 2002 at 11:15 PM

Try this link for good prices on Wacoms, I use a Graphire 2 works with anything I've got (and I got a LOT of software) http://www.pricewatch.com they're over to the right of the screen

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.