Fri, Sep 20, 10:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: A "wrong" direction?

KPK ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2002 at 5:45 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:27 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=206001&Start=1&Sectionid=30&WhatsNew=Yes

Hi all,

I want to ask the forum if it is liked or disliked to see fractals displayed with strong geometric design, sometimes without noticable selfsimilarity.

Why do I ask? I have the feeling that the majority of the viewers is not attracted by geometric design, because I've noticed a decrease in hits and comments after having started posting a series of more strong geometric images. Mostly when the image contains something gnarly, twisty, spiral, abstract or painterly the interest is noticable higher.
How comes? Are strong geometric shapes such ugly?

I would like you to tell me and all the other viewers if you prefer to see less of the strong geometric stuff or if you better like to see more of the spiraly, twisty or abstract stuff.

Click on the URL above to view my latest "not completely" geometric image :-)

Regards,
KPK

kuzy62 ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2002 at 7:02 AM

KPK, I like the geometric images and they are definitely part of the KPK style. You should also not worry so much about the number of comments/hits. I know it is encouraging but you should create art that is pleasing to you. If you like it that is all that really matters. As you know when I first started using UF I was particularly drawn to the Sierp-type fractals. I still like them but I have found that recently I enjoy the "movement" you get when doing spiral or gnarl images. Just my two cents worth! :-)

AristaProductionLab ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2002 at 7:22 AM

Hmmm.Very Interesting. Uh.. well you do know that Geo-metric runs in the same vain as industrial.So,The Geo-Metric work would definitely require a layer or two of speed-stick? Uh..There is a lot of new terminology's coming out for computer generated art work. Message671411.jpg What do you mean when you say lot's of new terminology. & you better make it sound good or I am giving you the fruit. Message671422.jpg Uh..Well our computer world/environment is constantly changing;changing in the direction of it's self. Always looking at it's walk,it's clothes,it's health.& so on. Well these actions that are achieved are knowledge that is learned.Hence;A knowledge Base of InformationTechnology that moves-on to become a dictionary that serves an importance in the entire world.and from this dictionary comes consumer technology for the consumer...just look at software programs called voice web-readers.

gumbykat ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2002 at 7:54 AM

I like the strong geometric shapes. But I also like color. I understand that the shapes you are creating are striking in black and white, and I do like them. But I do get hung up on coloe.

LindaB ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2002 at 9:43 AM

But is 'not popular'the same as 'not good'? I struggle with this question all the time. You have a distintive style, don't hinder it by being overly concerned about what people like. I have to tell myself this all the time. My opinion - keep exploring the areas that interest you and see where it leads. I like the geometric stuff, but I'm not thrilled with the Seirpinskies. But that's just me. They could lead you to something really interesting...

Rosemaryr ( ) posted Thu, 27 June 2002 at 11:20 AM

My humble response:

Don't sweat the hits or comments, or presence/absence thereof.
First, as has been mentioned: it's art. So what if it's more 'geometric' in form; you are also applying your critical artist's eye to its creation.
Second, you are an innovator, exploring different areas that many of us never even see until you lead the way. You develop the formulas, parameters, and techniques that many of us 'weekend warriors' rely on.

Relax, enjoy, create whatever your interest leads you to.

RosemaryR
---------------------------
"This...this is magnificent!"
"Oh, yeah. Ooooo. Aaaaah. That's how it starts.
Then, later, there's ...running. And....screaming."

SeanPratz ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2002 at 12:48 AM

I suppose we could get into the "purism" discussion again, but why? The answer lies more in what you want from your art than in anything else. Are you doing it to please yourself or to gather comments? If the goal is to please others or to make a few bucks by selling prints at fairs then you should go with whatever makes everyone else happy. But then it becomes a chore rather than fun, because churning out stuff for other folks just isn't pleasurable.

Peter, your style is unique and individual. Whatever motivates you from the choices above, or other choices unnamed, is what you'll create. Me, I'd be likely to shell out for a KPK print, and hopefully it would be one that you made for you rather than for the masses. But I happen to like your particular style. Maybe the majority (or the vocal minority) feels differently.

All I know is that I floundered for a long time trying to impress people with my fractals before I got it through my thick skull that it was a lot more fun impressing me. As it turns out, those pieces that most impress me are also the ones which impress others. That's nice, but it wouldn't change how I work if nobody but me liked my stuff. 'cause I'm doing it for me, not them.

Sometimes I sit down to work thinking "I want to create something that would look good hanging in a library (or a living room or wherever)." And I always botch it. Just letting myself create gives the best resuls. And sometimes, gosh darn it, the end result would look good hanging in a library.

I like your work. Always have. I don't know if that's because you were creating for the masses or for yourself, but I hope you keep on going in the direction you have been!

• Sean

SeanPratz ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2002 at 1:39 AM

And I think you misread me, Terry. The discussion prior to your own comments brought in points such as popularity vs. unpopularity and good vs. not good. Your own comment regarding "pure and true" motivations simply sparked a free association. No offense nor baiting intended.

SeanPratz ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2002 at 1:59 AM

Darn it, I could have simplified my response in that case!

I like some heavily geometric art. I strongly dislike other heavily geometric art. It depends on the style. Now, I ain't commenting on your art specifically, but an example of geometric art I like might include styles similar to yours. ;)

KPK ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2002 at 2:11 AM

Yes I see :-)

Thank you all for your encourageing replies.

But it seems as if my wording was not clear enough and led to a little misunderstanding. Especially the
title of the thread was a bit provoking and the part regarding views and comments intended that I was
mainly looking for comments. (OK, to be frank, I LIKE it, to get lots of views and nice comments! :-))

I'm not concerned about my work.

It was more my intention to know what the forum thinks about strong geometric looking images in general.
Do you like or dislike it? Why is it it liked or disliked? Do you think there is the "art aspect" missing in
geometric images?
These kind of questions were in my mind when I wrote to you.

Anyway, your replies gave some interesting insight.

Thank you all :-)

KPK

AristaProductionLab ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2002 at 3:36 AM

Message671426.jpg Oh mercy !!!! I agree with LindaB... We are all here to observe one another,Learn & Grow..Grow..Grow..& ect.. By communicating with each other We get our community input & I feel that we should keep our expession flowing...It may be a good thing to act-out our artistic vesumes...Holding something inside isn't healthy? But, In closing I guess my main topic is to keep your artistic work flowing.. B-Natural

mintyfresh ( ) posted Fri, 28 June 2002 at 9:40 AM

Peter, I'm quite fond of your geometric art and don't actually perceive it as a distinct or new direction so much as further exploration along a path you've been exploring in one way or another all along. Why do I like geometric art? I suppose I like the regularity of it, the angularity of the shapes. Whether or not a piece strikes me as "artistic" or not depends entirely on the piece and has little if anything to do with what "style" it's done in. Karen : )

abmlober ( ) posted Sat, 29 June 2002 at 2:31 PM

Peter, don't let the view counter make your style... Some of my own images I really like have low counts...
If I like geometric images? Sometimes... Sometimes I like it how they underline a certain colour effect, sometimes it must be B&W to strengthen the geometric effect... And sometimes two nearly identical images are totally different in their effect on the viewer.
I think, since the R'city galleries get hundreds of images each day, all viewers are hungry for the NEW images. And stylistic repetitions in a short period of time lower the hit counts. But the cyber societies tend to forget really fast, so one is allowed to repeat oneself from time to time. Only the naked lady theme may be repeated until infinity :-)
Always creating the NEW is impossible (at least for me)... But I do not worry too much about it. Only a little bit...

:rolleyes::sad:
Joy of Frax

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.