Thu, Oct 3, 1:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: I need some help from the lighting guru's please.

rockets ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2002 at 8:00 AM ยท edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 1:23 AM

I'm working on an image that has a prominent shadow and the darn thing (shadow) has a case of the jaggies. There is only one light (a spotlight) in the image with shadows and I've played with all the dials til I can't see straight. Does anyone have a clue on how to correct this? I've got the anti-alias checked...that doesn't help. :-(

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

aleks ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2002 at 8:04 AM

add a new light on the same place as old one, turn old one off. now you can set higher shadow map for the new one and the jagged edges are gone... :)

rockets ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2002 at 8:13 AM

Thanks for that quick response aleks...I'll try it! :-)

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

hogwarden ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2002 at 8:25 AM

Strange... Would this explain why I can't make a shadow map larger than 1024? Do I need to make a new light and delete the old one before I can crank it up further?? This has been bugging me for ages! H:)

aleks ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2002 at 8:33 AM

yep :) you don't need to delete the old one, though...

ringbearer ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2002 at 8:42 AM

Well, if you double click on the name (map size for example) then you can put in minimum and maximum values. Just increase your value and you can go higher than 1024.

There are a lot of things worse than dying, being afraid all the time would be one.

My Gallery

hogwarden ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2002 at 9:45 AM

Hmmm... The plot thickens... I had always used shadow map sizes much in excess of 1024. Suddenly, after upping to XP, I found 1024 was the maximum. I'll try changing the max/min as that can be applied to existing lights without messing them up!! Duh. Hadn't thought of that!! H:)

raven ( ) posted Mon, 01 July 2002 at 4:23 PM

An often overlooked tip regarding lighting is use the shadow cam lite and zoom into your scene, ensuring the main element is centred in the shadow cam lite view. This way the shadow map is only being used on the parts you want it to be, and not having to cover a vast area. Go back to your real camera and render. You don't always need to up the size of the shadowmap either doing this, so saving resources too.

aleks ( ) posted Tue, 02 July 2002 at 2:10 AM

wow, raven, now that's new! :) never thought of it...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.