Fri, Sep 20, 4:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: The new collision/gravity/cloth features look a lot like Cinema 4D's "Dynamics"

farang ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 2:05 PM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 10:49 AM

Lets hope that the similarity ends there. Apparently collision detection is the most difficult to model on a computer. Cinema 4D's Dynamics plugin has it but it doesn't work with complex meshes. The same goes for their clothing modeling. While the advertisement for it looks good it is very, very weak. I beat my brains out for almost a week trying to get the Poser dress to act like a real dress on the posette character (i.e. act like real cloth and collide with the posette figure). The problem is the high poly count in the meshes. Poser 5 will most likely have new clothing figures which are very, very low on the poly count. Unfortunately what all this means is that the wonderful clothing items made by artists here will become obsolete or the high poly count in them will not allow them to be modeled as cloth.

farang ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 2:09 PM

While Curious Labs has stated that the figures sold at DAZ will be very compatible in Poser 5 unfortunately it looks like the artists with clothing items for sale here will have to go back to the drawing board and make new super low poly versions if they hope to take advantage of CL's new cloth modeling feature.

Spike ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 2:33 PM

I would hold off on statements like this.... Without the facts of what P5 can do, it's best to wait and see. Just because the C4D plugin can't get it right, does not mean that P5 can't.

You can't call it work if you love it... Zen Tambour

steveshanks ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 2:36 PM

Did Steve say the cloth is low poly?, sorry i missed that bit and it takes ages to load the thread LOL....Steve

farang ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 3:08 PM

Thats what I've been saying in this thread. The clothing sold here will definitely not be able to take advantage of the new collision/gravity/cloth features. The big question is will we be able to model new clothing items that will be able to take advantage of the new features?

MadYuri ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 3:10 PM

Cinema 4D's Dynamics is not designed to do cloth simulation. There are other plugins available which do a much better/faster job (unfortunately not for C4D).

Valandar ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 3:56 PM

NEVER in that thread did I see that the new feature cannot be used by high poly clothing. That is an ASSUMPTION made by someone in this thread. This is the kind of thing you should NOT be saying farang, we have no evidence of any kind except that the Cinema4D version doesn't work well with hi-poly figures. Most other versions actually work BETTER with hi-poly figures, such as the plugins Simcloth and ClothReyes for 3DS Max. Please, don't start any rumors or other problems for people here at R'osity with such baseless claims.

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

c1rcle ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 4:04 PM

I reckon it will be easy to make the clothes available now work with the new features, Steve did say that poser5 is going to be backwards compatible, maybe all you need to do is put the clothes into poser fiddle with a few settings and resave as poser5 clothes. Rob

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 4:04 PM

To be fair Maxon has publicly stated that the dynamics plugin is not a human clothing simulator but looking at the calculation times involved in doing soft bodies in Cinema's dynamics engine i am interested in seeing how CL has implemented it

My website

YouTube Channel

Bobasaur ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 5:57 PM

The higher poly meshes work better with displacement mapping in Lightwave. I know it's not the same thing but the point is that different features that were demonstrated in the Original thread may be done in different ways. And this is a rapidly advancing field. Who knew what Metaballs were 4 years ago. It's not realistic to make assumptions about what's going to be like what until we get the official word.

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

VIDandCGI ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 7:09 PM

Hmnnn I would disagree on principal with what was said by farang about low poly clothing, as a few LW etc owners have pointed out higher resolution meshes act better as clothes than lower resolution meshes in these programs and for a reason (I'm not going into a whole LW3D tut here). There are cases where this not true but none are in the low end price bracket. So if anything I think we will see some familiar clothing items we have all come to know and love in (that came as standard in p4) p4 coming as standard in p5 too just with a few modifications to to take advantage of the collision detection etc. also it seems to me you have started two threads with almost the same statement, one which as has been pointed out is an assumption and not fact.

robert.sharkey ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 7:37 PM

Farang, all you said in this and in your thread before, is: PURE SPECULATION. It is also not known to date how easy it maybee can be to update any clothes for this feature or if there will be a handy tool within Poser5 to do this automatically. Hey Spike, big Applaus to you.

Spike ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 7:44 PM

Me? what did I do this time....

Ratteler ( ) posted Wed, 03 July 2002 at 11:28 PM

My post... that was sarcasm. Alot of the tighter clothing won't matter one bit if it's not dynamics friendly. And since 90% of the people here use poser for still's it's only an issue to us animators. I use Lightwave 3D for the most part. I very rarely attempt to use anything like clothing dynamics unless a scene specifically calls for flowing this that and the other thing. Plus Kupa has said nothing about what dynamic clothes need. I'll be impressed when a guy raises his arm and the sleve of the jacket rises up his formarm because the leanth of the cloth isn't enough.

robert.sharkey ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 2:48 AM

Spike, You just sayd what i liked to hear. "...Hold off on statements like this".

Spike ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 10:56 PM

Thanks Robert.

c1rcle ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 10:01 AM

no statement from me just wild speculation & wishful thinking, with lightwave & max it seems to me all these wonderful features to do with clothes, gravity & atmospherics is done with plugins, kupa never mentioned plugins for poser, so "maybe" things like that will be built in with poser5. Anyway who cares where the ideas came from if it works I'll be happy & if it doesn't then I'll wait for the patch to make it work. Either way I'm smiling ear to ear & have been since seeing those pictures. Rob

Bobasaur ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 11:30 AM

It occurred to me last night before I went to bed that my Poser for Lightwave plugin automatically provides the opportunity to subdivide a mesh into triangles. They may add this feature to P5 so that you can elect to subdivide pre-existing meshes for better dynamic simulations - thus you could use existing clothing alot easier and all you wonderful modelers wouldn't have to rebuild everything.

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.