Fri, Sep 20, 8:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: Which Fractal Generator for What Purpose .... Your Advice Please

FrankB ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 9:51 AM · edited Wed, 28 August 2024 at 7:59 AM

Hi all, I'm new to those fractal applications and I'm a little confused about which application to choose. Now, I think most people around here use either Xenodreams or Ultra Fractal. I would appreciate your opinions on which application produces the best images and also about capabilities and limitations. I started playing around with Ultra Fractal and I wonder, if you could also provide a few tips on which algorithms you like and resource places on the web for gradients and algorithms and tutorials. Many questions, I'm sorry. But I'm curious to know.. many thanks and cheers, Frank

AristaProductionLab ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 12:00 PM

Message671428.jpg Umm? Do you wont to know more about the two programs that you listed, Umm? Or do you also wont to include other programs that may be for-free?

FrankB ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 1:17 PM

Thanks for the reply, and yes, I would also like to hear about other - maybe free - programs, as long as they are capable of doing top class fractal artwork. But I don't want to primarily focus on the money aspect, rather I'd like to find out about what the best application for artwork purposes is. That's my intention. I only mentioned Xenodreams and Ultrafractal for I noticed that they're quite popular. thanks, Frank

SeanPratz ( ) posted Thu, 04 July 2002 at 10:48 PM

I've got 'em both, and there's no way to compare the two. Ever used Kai's Power Tools v5? It's a bit like comparing Frax4D with Fraxplorer with Fraxflame. If you haven't used this plugin I'll explain. They put all three Frax(foo) plugins in the same box because all are so diferent. So're XD and UF.

I guess the answer to your question is another one right back at you. What sort of work do you want to do?

Another consideration is whether you want to create something easily re-renderable (so you can make a larger version a year later when someone requests a print). As of this version XenoDream makes doing so a P.I.T.A. unless you keep detailed notes on each and every step you took to make the original picture. And even if you do keep notes, rendering it larger sometimes gets the colors messed up. However, if you've got the time and the storage space, render 'em huge to begin with and then just save the files on CD or something.

For what it does, XD is the best program around and I'm glad I bought it (or was gifted with it). I'm not dissing it at all! The three-dimensional objects/pictures one can create with it are simply awesome and just can't be duplicated with any other program on the market right now (though Z Brush can create superficially similar images).

One thing XD can do that UF can't is export objects in several formats that programs like Bryce can handle. I don't know a lot about this, though, as it's not something I do. This capability is supposed to be expanded in subsequent releases.

UltraFractal makes more "traditional" 2-D fractal images than XD does. It's very well supported, has scads of people contributing formulas, coloring methods and transforms to it (sort of like PS plugins), and does let you re-render small images to large ones without detail loss.

But what sort of art do you want to do? Some good examples of XD's capabilities can be seen at XenoDream.com or on the XenoDreamPix forum at Yahoo Groups. Examples of Ultrafractal work are all over, like here at Renderosity. Very different styles, no?

I'm sure Nahee will appear in this thread some time soon to give you his URL listing other programs that might interest you. I don't have it handy.

All the best!

• Sean

FrankB ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 2:27 AM

Thank you Sean, that was a very detailed explanation and exactly the type of answer I was looking for. See, I for sure noticed that XD and UF do different things. Both appeal to me. I was now on a sort of waypoint, to decide which way to go first. I can't do and learn both at the same time, because of time constraints. So now I have more facts do decide upon. thanks again, Frank

Nahee ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 3:15 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Since you still have not stated what type of artwork you do and wish to do, nor any examples of past work, it is difficult to let you know about additional programs to meet your needs. Do you actually do any digital artwork?? If so, where may it be seen?? If you wish to know what programs are most used by over 2,050 people that generate fractals, then try this URL: http://home.att.net/~Paul.N.Lee/Most_Used_Counts.html And here is that URL which Sean mentioned above: http://home.att.net/~Paul.N.Lee/Fractal_Software.html I personally have at least 24 programs which I use on a regular basis, out of the 94 which I keep active on my hard-drive. I can also give you details concerning another 130 that I have removed from my drive onto CD's (most are very old now though). So if you need more info, then please ask.

FrankB ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 3:58 AM

Well Nahee, one of the good things with fractal generators, as well as with apps like Bryce or Poser and all, is, that you can explore a variety of styles and artwork. So right now I can't tell you what artwork within the fractal art I would like to do. I for sure would exhibit and sell my best fractal art, so it would be important to save a project, in order to go back to it if required. I'm grateful that Sean mentioned it - and I didn't ask, because I thought that both apps provide me with this functionality. "Most used" is not really a criteria, I just picked two that I think can help make (to me) pleasing artwork. I want to start with one or the other. That's my decision so far. It's true that I said I found the both quite popular, but I forgot to say (sorry), that from what I've seen I seem to like the artwork from both the most. I do art with Terragen. You can find it here at renderosity or at my site at http://www.basinski-net.de. But that doesn't matter to the fractal questions - it's not comparable and I do not intend to do something comparable with a fractal generator. Also, I use Photoshop to work and enhance my graphics further. So if you have that many experience with so many apps, I would appreciate if you share with me information, how the two applications I picked vary and maybe complement each other. That would help me a lot!

AristaProductionLab ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 9:33 AM

Message671422.jpg WOW !! This one is cooking?? Hey??? Ayone seen Audre??She's got to have two cents to put in to this one...AKA The Fractal Queen...She should have a ton of places to find UF scripts...

SeanPratz ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 10:10 AM

One unfortunate fact about XenoDream is that there is no trial version, thus no chance to see if it's the sort of program with which you would be comfortable working. It's an interface that is somewhat a cross between Bryce and KPT, but even that doesn't really describe it. It's a very "right brain" program to use, dragging and morphing almost intuitively "by feel."

UltraFractal's interface, if you haven't tried the 30-day evaluation yet, is much more structured and "left brained."

The difference between the two is akin to the difference between sculpting with clay and doing fine woodwork. Both extremely pleasurable, but two totally different ways of creating.

fractalgarden ( ) posted Fri, 05 July 2002 at 4:21 PM

For formula, colouring algorithms and transformation resources for Ultrafractal try the UF formula database at:

http://formulas.ultrafractal.com/

For tutorials and other help visit:

http://www.parkenet.org/jp/ufresources.html

or

http://www.mathemagicimages.com/tutorials/ufworkshop/learning.htm

Rose ( ) posted Thu, 11 July 2002 at 2:23 AM

Attached Link: http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.html

Actually I new to fractals myself. I have two fractal programs - Ultra and a free one called Tiezon (or something like that). I'm mostly playing with the first one and have been using all my spare time with it. When I made one that looked like "something" I uploaded it to my gallery here. It's really the first one that I have posted. I'm still playing around with the program though and am also thinking about joining the mailing list. Anybody here belong to the mailing list? Can you tell us more about it?

FrankB ( ) posted Thu, 11 July 2002 at 2:39 AM

I want to say "Thank you" to all respondants !!! I know have plenty of stuff to learn and play with, and will hopefully come up with some good images from time to time. cheers, Frank

BlueRose ( ) posted Tue, 16 July 2002 at 4:30 AM

Hi a bit of a delayed response here (ive been in hospital) but I use Xenodream fairly extensively its fair to say, and I trialled UF. I must be a right brained person cos I just could not get into UF (or Bryce for that matter) but XD is sooooooooooo me! I have also used Sterling and QSFlame - two more different and free programs. Sterling makes classic type fractals similar to UF but without the layering and colouring options and cool stuffs. QSFlame makes flame type fractals which are swirly stripes of colour arranged in diff ways as far as I can tell, a bit limited in scope but pretty to look at. I would love to get my hands on FraxFlame cos it looks more in depth. Anyway you can see some beginner examples of all the ones ive mentioned here: http://www.geocities.com/terragenblue and go to the Fractal Gallery. There are links to where you can find them on my links page. HTH

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.