Sat, Sep 21, 10:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Question about how to make fade in, fade out transparencies...??

3DSprite ( ) posted Sun, 27 February 2000 at 9:33 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 10:23 PM

Okay, in Photoshop I figure there's gotta be some kind of tool that lets me make an image look transparent?? You know, like see-through?? So's I can put two images on a rendering and have the second image kinda behind the first, but the first image transparent enough to let me see the second image through it???? Anyone here have the know how on this?? I have seen it done, so please do tell?? ~3D ;-)

wyrwulf ( ) posted Sun, 27 February 2000 at 10:22 AM

I don't have Photo Shop, I have Painter, but I'm sure it's very similar in both. Use layers and adjust the transparency of the top layer to get the effect you want.

Gromit ( ) posted Sun, 27 February 2000 at 11:22 AM

Select the layer you want to make transparent in the layers palette. Click in the upper right-hand corner of the palette where it says "Opacity" and a slider will appear. Drag the slider to make the layer more or less opaque as desired. Use layer masks with a gradient fill applied to create effects where an image fades into another one. Gromit Dhahran, Saudi Arabia

3DSprite ( ) posted Sun, 27 February 2000 at 11:41 AM

Oooh, thank you so very much!! It all sounds so simple now, but you folks just saved me looking through dozens of pages in a how to book!!! I do love this forum, it simplifies things so much!! ;-)

Traveler ( ) posted Sun, 27 February 2000 at 4:46 PM

Also if you do your renders as .tiff's you can cut the extra background image away from the figure by selecting the alpha channel, inverting the selection and then deleting the background. With that you can move figures around in the scene. Add some drop or perspective shadows to add to the illusion. -Trav

3DSprite ( ) posted Sun, 27 February 2000 at 5:38 PM

Thanks for even more help bud! ;-)

Gromit ( ) posted Mon, 28 February 2000 at 2:08 AM

If you're compositing renders made against a black or white background into a background image, you may find that it adds to the photorealism if you use Layers, Matting, Remove Black Matte or Remove White Matte. This will clip off the remaining background pixels from your figure. The other thing I do when I want to add shadows is to copy the layer the figure is on, fill the copy with black, move it so the layer is below the figure's layer, use the transform tools to distort it so it looks like it's on the ground plane or whatever, do a Gaussian blur to soften it, reduce the opacity to around 50% or whatever looks good, and it makes a pretty good shadow as long as the light is coming from behind the viewer, so the shadow extends into the picture. If I need a shadow to be in a different direction, I usually do a separate render from a camera position pointing from the direction of the light source. Then I do the same operation, filling it with black, etc. to create a shadow that appears to be geometrically correct. Gromit

3DSprite ( ) posted Mon, 28 February 2000 at 7:19 AM

Thanks again, this is a wealth of resource for me in just this one thread!! ;-)

Traveler ( ) posted Mon, 28 February 2000 at 12:14 PM

Gromit: I can't thank you enough for posting that tip. I do all of my renders on black or white, and the edges have always been a problem. The shadow tip is incredible! -Trav

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.