Sat, Sep 21, 3:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Confused about Color Systems - seeks straight answer

merbliss ( ) posted Mon, 22 July 2002 at 8:04 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:30 PM

I confess I'm totally clueless about this, and I've tried Adobe's Help pages to further my confusion. Which color system should I be using, ie; which is the "safest" or "best"? I assume it would depend on the type of image, so say I want to acheive the best possible outcome for high detailed, high res pics (unless of course it's all to do with what type of printer one uses). If I use a certain color system will it print out horrible or display terribly on another monitor? Should I be using a secific system for a specific monitor of computer model? Yikes!

Slynky ( ) posted Mon, 22 July 2002 at 9:54 PM

if you're going to be doing everything from conception-design-print on your own computer, don't give a fudge what anyone else's monitor looks like for one. Setup your monitor and printer to work in conjunction with eachother so you can get as accurate colours printed out as possible. Personally, a combination of RGB and CMYK me thinks would be best. RGB for working is what I see to be a good choice, as certain options (ie: filters, etc) won't fucntion properly or at all under other modes such as CMYK. Oncethe image is completed, I say move to CMYK setup, which will alter your image a fair bit, but all you have to do is some colour adjusting. The really highquality printers use a Cyan Magenta Yellow Black(K) setup. That would be what I would do if I either had a really high quality printer, or was going to ship it out to be printed on a high quality printer. The colours tend be be more accurate (I believe RGB is an addative model, and CMYK is a subtractive... not sure). on the bright side, thanks to my mumbling an incoherence, either Retrocity or Alpha will come and clear up my nonsense. This has been dicussed before though, check the archives of the printing forum, it was one of the first (and only it would seem) discussions brought up there.

Rustbucket ( ) posted Tue, 23 July 2002 at 9:44 AM

CMYK is the addition of color (ink) while RGB is the addition of light. The best way to prove that is because 100% of C,M,Y and K makes black, while 100% (255) of R,G and B makes white. I'd say your best bet is to pick one and stick with it since going back and forth between the two gets very confusing! :) Unless you do like Slynky said and work with one for the filters, then convert when you're all done. I do it that way, converting to CMYK for the color-correction process since I can get a much more precise color management with CMYK. And also not all high-end printers use CMYK, unfortunately. Some really good Epson printers use RGB, as do most color laser printers. But all in all, if you're going to be doing commercial work and taking it to be printed professionally, your best bet is to convert it to CMYK at the end. Good Luck!

Slynky ( ) posted Tue, 23 July 2002 at 6:34 PM

as long as I wasn't spewing complete guano, cool

merbliss ( ) posted Tue, 23 July 2002 at 6:42 PM

thanks guys. Looks like creating in RGB then converting to CMYK is the way to go. and I can always save a version in each mode.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.