Fri, Sep 20, 6:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: No good deed goes unpunished

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 4:57 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 6:40 AM

file_18000.jpg

I just recieved this email titled "About the Orca" (sic) from a personal AOL address. "Dear, software pirate. Hello, it has come to my attention that you have stolen a program file from a man called Anders Hojer. He will lay charges on you if you (1) Keep the program (2) Keep it and keep it to yourself as well. (3) Copy, modify, or tamper with it. If you send it to us and delete it off of your hard-drive, the charges won't exist. We wish to get your response posthaste. Sincerely, Truman Retgul , ICA criminal division. " The file in question is the free orca I've been trying to help kkndmaster find. It was offered as a free download in 1999, I think maybe at was it poserforum.com? Here's a pic; I'm sure other long-time Posers downloaded it. Frankly, I'm pissed by the obvious fakeness of this message. Right, an untitled representative of the "criminial division" of an organization I have never heard of is writing me (with ludicrously bad grammar and punctuation) on a Sunday from a personal AOL address. Oh, and it'll be OK if I send them a copy and then delete it from my hard drive. Right, sure, and I can get a good deal if I want to buy a bridge in New York. I'm pretty certain the person behind this is from this board, since this is the only place besides private e-mails I have mentioned the orca creator's name. If this is indeed the case, whoever you are, to quote The Emperor's New Groove, this makes you ugly AND stupid, because you've just opened yourself up to criminal charges of fraud and harassment, and I'm sure a lawyer could think of something else. Oh, and that e-mail has been forwarded to AOL; as I recall, they don't take kindly to people impersonating officials on their e-mail accounts. So, this is what I get for trying to help someone else. Next time I keep my mouth shut unless I can provide a URL.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 5:04 PM

Gaawd what an idiot. Good luck getting the jerk, FyreSpiryt!

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

quixote ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 5:33 PM

Go get him. Put the bastard behind bars.

Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hazard
S Mallarmé

Stormrage ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 5:37 PM

yup looks fake to me.. though the Andres Hojer does sound familiar. I missed the discussion about the orca..

cooler ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 5:38 PM

Fyre I don't have a readme file for the orca (called 'Killer Whale') but if it helps it was a free download & from my timestamp I d/l'ed it April 4, 1999

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 5:38 PM

lol just did a search on google using 'ICA criminal division' this guy has NO imagination! there is a ICA... the Indiana Correctional Assocation.. they don't have the divsion noted and don't have anything to do with software.. methinks Idiot has had run in's with them ;) Kai

hmatienzo ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 6:02 PM

FRY HIS ARSE!!!

L'ultima fòrza è nella morte.

TalmidBen ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 6:10 PM

Hojer created a free orca (I have it in my files) and it is a DIFFERENT orca from the one FyreSpiryt has created (from the P4 dolphin) - if I'm not mistaken. BTW, FyreSpiryt, I'll send you something special soon - I think you'll like it.

Stormrage ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 6:16 PM

Yep very different in fact.. It was a member called Zorbak (aka Hojer) who released a orca back in 99. I still have the zips of his shair, zhair, puffy, stripe, bird and whale. Hojer's site is http://come.to/hojer his email is hojer@swipnet.se Absolutely3d had whales in sit format but no orca's dedicated digital once released a whale but not an orca Debra ross released a beluga whale but no orca's FyreSpirit's orca and Hojer's orca is very different.

kkndmaster ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 6:28 PM

holy crap who the hell sent you that. ica. Well fire don't think its me. I only have a kkndmaster@hotmail.com and a Iprefertokeepthisblankforprivacyreasons@mail.com I swear I did not send that.

Stormrage ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 6:38 PM

file_18001.jpg

Zorbak's whale while neat was not all that impressive to work with. You can see why in this image. It was the only orca out there for a while and good if you didn't have to pose him. For posing though *Shrugs* It wasn't that good and I haven't had the time to recut him for using like i want. Zorbak was generous though in providing it.

Stormrage ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 6:41 PM

the whale above zorbak's is of course FyreSpirit's to show the difference in them

Stormrage ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 6:53 PM

file_18002.jpg

ohh and one other thing i might note.. Zorbak's whale has the floating texture disease.. it moves around the body.

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 7:04 PM

Yowie. I'd never tried to pose Zorbak's (I've never actually installed it; it's been living in my archives for years in case I ever needed one.) Anyway, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who recognizes and has this one; I only knew the creator's name because he put it in a comment inside the obj file (smart guy). I don't know who sent it. However, AOL does, and they have been alerted. At least back when I was a member, they were VERY strict about this sort of thing, I believe zero tolerance, immediate termination of service, and possibly being reported to law enforcement for charges. This idiot's going to get his @$$ handed to him.

terminusnord ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 7:09 PM

Fyrespiryt- if you forward that mail to AOL's postmaster or abuse center, be sure to explicitly send them a copy of the email headers, which would not just be sent if you simply hit "forward" in your email program. You will have to "view internet headers" and copy-paste all that routing information into an email to them. Without the headers, there is really nothing AOL can do to figure out where your bogus message came from, or when, or through what computers. Your email is clearly just from someone being a d***. And someone with about 3rd grade english skills, if that. -Adam

EricofSD ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 7:45 PM

Impersinating an officer is a crime. I'd send that email to the local prosecutor or state attorney general just for fun. The orca you show above is available on 3dcafe (though it has inverse normals) and while I understand deleting, what's this crap about sending it to them? Poor quality law enforcement impersonation. Hope he gets nailed.

fygomatic ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 11:24 PM

The guy is guilty of being a little twerp, but it's no crime to pronounce yourself the head of a imaginary entity's criminal division.

markdotcom ( ) posted Sun, 28 July 2002 at 11:29 PM

Saying "send us a copy..." is like saying "please rewind that DVD before returning it".

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 2:37 AM

Let me get this straight Some lamer wants you to send him a copy of a model that is already free and puts himself in a position where he can be prosecuted and sued? . . . can't be too bright.

c1rcle ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 5:49 AM

I'd say about 20 watts is bright compared to him. I hereby name myself head of the Internet Prawn Eradication Commission, I.P.E.C for short, can you send me all your prawns and delete them off your harddrives please. For the benefit of people with no brains, like Truman, the above statement is a joke. Rob

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 6:57 AM

Nope, not to bright at all. It occured to me that the Indiana Correctional Association, since that's the best guess so far on what the acronym is supposed to stand for, might be interested in this, so I sent a copy of the e-mail (with headers) to them. *<:^) Although I suppose it's possible that it was someone from the criminal division of the ICA chain of food stores in Sweden. ^_~

wdupre ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 9:52 AM

Excuse me but I believe I have jurisdiction here, being the Director of T.A.F.T.L.O.S.C.F.D.E (THE ASSOCIATION FOR THE LIBERATION OF SEA CREATURES FROM DIGITAL EXPLOITATION) Send me all your fish! And while you're at it wipe your hard drive too, we cant be too carful now can we? he says as he wrings his hands maniacly

wdupre ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 9:59 AM

Oh and... Goodby, and thanks for all the Fish! (plagurized from the unfortunatly all too mortal douglas adams) WDupre Supreme Leader, T.A.F.T.L.O.S.C.F.D.E

Phantast ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 10:03 AM

ICA = Institute of Contemporary Arts. No, they don't have a criminal division either.

originalplaid ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 12:30 PM

They went thru alot of trouble just to get a copy of the whale didn't they? If they are the original author why in the world would they want you to mail it to them and then delete it? why not just delete it? But it would surprise you to see who uses AOL addresses legally to keep mail away from the actual organization mail servers. Though i doubt this one is that way.

c1rcle ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 12:39 PM

AOL still have zero tolerence for anything on their service, well they did have when I used it till a couple of months ago. Rob

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 6:18 PM

I'd respond to that guy by saying something like, "Good bye and thanks for all the fish." - Douglas Adams or in real life I'm Zaphred Breblebrox, President of the Universe.

Wadus ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 8:35 PM

lol, when I had AOL I always liked getting those "official" AOL mails needing my password and CC# because they lost them. And they know it says AOL will NEVER ask for account info in Email but this is an emergency... and to top it off its coming from a hotmail account :D

Crescent ( ) posted Mon, 29 July 2002 at 8:54 PM

All your fish are belong to us! (If you look at the grammar and wording, it's pretty close ...)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.