Fri, Sep 20, 9:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: ...And Another Thing...

smallspace ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 5:03 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:24 AM

Has anyone experienced what happens when you are on the inside of a one-sided imported object that Vue is forcing to be two-sided?

For example, you import a model of, say, a living room...only its normals are oriented outwards, meaning that when the camera is inside the living room, you're actual looking at the backside of every polygon. No problem! You just make sure Vue has "force double-sided" turned on and make sure that "two-side" is enabled on all of the materials...

NOT SO FAST!

A soon as you render, you notice something is wrong! Everything looks like its under water...as if you are trapped in a block of blue-ish, semi-transparent material.

Now of course, none of this happens if the model you imported has its normals oriented inward, or if the polygons really ARE double sided. It's just showing that the Vue renderer is not handling polygon backsides correctly.

-SMT

I'd rather stay in my lane than lay in my stain!

gebe ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 5:15 PM

?????? No comprendo. Can you post somewhere a zipped sample scene? Aren't you trying the impossible?

sittingblue ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 5:20 PM

You should let e-on know by posting this at their forum. Maybe they'll fix it, and everyone will benefit.

Charles

gebe ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 5:26 PM

Since I have not seen and not tried out myself, I will not post anything:-). But you are free to do so if you think this is something really "funny" or "crazy". Mostly it is better you post a sample scene to share so that other users can try out what you found, before disturbing (maybe for nothing) e-onsoftware. Would be very kind of your part. Thanks:-) Guitta

smallspace ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 7:45 PM

Gotcha' Guitta! I'll try to post a link to a model you can all import that will show you what I mean. Failing that, I'll post pictures. -SMT

kruzr ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 8:32 PM

file_18561.jpg

Good Afternoon . . . 8^) Hey Smallspace, the 1st image is with the camera in an open box. Material = Rocks/Alien, A Yellow Maple Tree on the lawn outside the opening of the box. Looks a little like I'm under water????? The 2nd image is the same everything, EXCEPT, the Material = Basic/Cracked Porcelain. I can't explain what the view outside of the box is????? Ha Ha Ha. I would say it seems to be a Vue 4.10 problem. Have a good one . . . Mark. ;^)

audity ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 8:33 PM

file_18562.jpg

Hi Guitta,

Here's an example. The model is a cube with a square hole on one face. The normals are facing outwards.

In this situation, if the camera is on the other side of the polygons, the polygons are not visible in the render. That's what happen when you are "on the other side" of a single-sided polygon mesh.

In my example the camera is inside the cube. As the normals are facing the opposite side, it does not appear. In VUE's "polygon mesh options" I can enable "double-sided" ( it's the standard setting). Now we can see the object... BUT... as SMT noticed it (and Phoul a couple of months ago) "everything looks like its under water...as if you are trapped in a block of blue-ish, semi-transparent material".

:) Eric

smallspace ( ) posted Fri, 02 August 2002 at 11:45 PM

Mark and Eric, you both got it. It wouldn't be such a problem...except that many, many models of room interiors are made with the normals facing outward because the model creator started out with a cube primitive and worked from the outside in.

Now usually I can convert models to double sided in Deep Exploration...but the doesn't apply with Poser scene imports. Unfortunately, they seem to be the greatest culprits, and while I can export from Poser as OJB or 3DS, that means I have to go through hoops to get all the textures together and even then, half the time the Poser exporter has screwed something up.

-SMT

gebe ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2002 at 5:34 AM

Thanks, I have tried and got the same result. I have reported the problem to e-onsoftware. Guitta

wabe ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2002 at 8:46 AM

i think this will be difficult for e-on. To be fast, a lot of renderers get immediately rid of all polygons with normals pointing away from the camera. That decreases the number of polygons the renderer has to deal with drasticaly. So probably there is not really a solution for this problem exept of flipping the normals (if possible) in another program. I'm curious to see wether e-on will be able to sort out this problem. Speed against acurassy. :)) Walther

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.