Fri, Sep 20, 11:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: I Want My Poser 5

Disciple3d ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 1:23 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 11:41 AM

MUaaaaaaaaahhhh! I want it sooner rather than later. Say, I' was reading on the Curious Labs site about the new released and became a little confused about the cost. Can some body clear this up for me? Poser 5 will be available in late summer 2002 with an expected average street price of US$349. (Poser 5s Suggested Retail Price- $549.) What exactly is Street price and how the heck to I buy it for the "Street Price"

If you want to up your content game, get schooled to be a pro with Sixus1 Mentoring today!

Scarab ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 1:35 PM

Wait an additional two years until it makes its way to retail stores.....maybe? Scarab<-"Momma always said Life was like a box of Exlax"

starlet ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 1:35 PM

Average street price is the average YOU the end user are gonna walk home with it at...the SRP is for distribution and etc.

thebert ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 1:57 PM

Suggested Retail Price (SRP) is the price that Curious Labs is suggesting to retailers to sale Poser 5 for. SRP is also the starting point that retailer use for discounts. So a retailer use SRP in the ads to saying "Discounted 35%" or "$200.00 off". Street price is the average of the price the end user paid at the retailer for Poser after all discounts.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

Disciple3d ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 2:07 PM

Ahh, That clears it up. Thanks.

If you want to up your content game, get schooled to be a pro with Sixus1 Mentoring today!

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 3:22 PM

so will we be able to just order p5 off of cl's website and save some money?

queri ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 4:33 PM

Well, street price used to mean more than it did awhile ago. Catalogs usually offered software for prices significently under MSRP, however, that has been changing. Online stores can sometimes offer software for less-- Amazon had a very good sale on plugins awhile back for 30 to 50 dollars less than MSRP. Poser has no significent competition for figure animation [I hate calling this an animation program cause I never animate, oh well] that lessens the chances for heavy discounts. I think the Street Price, while still a valuable number, is less and less available, especially at the lower levels. You will not get the Street Price from the manufacturer-- only from an outlet that can afford to cut overhead-- that generally means catalog through mail or online. I used to never pay MSRP, seems like I'm always paying it now. Emily

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 4:42 PM

According to emaleth (Karen), $349 will be the price offered at the CL web store.

Himico ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 5:02 PM

Do they also have MSRP, and Street price?

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 5:32 PM

CL doesn't have separate prices listed, Himico. I dont know; can you buy the upgrades at places other than Curious Labs? I was under the impression that with the upgrade deals, you get the full-version package; the seller just needs a valid serial number for confirmation first.

starlet ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 6:12 PM

You can only upgrade directly from Curious Labs, as our system is now. Things could change in the future... Here are the US upgrade prices from the CL website. INTERNATIONAL PRICING WILL VARY!!!!!!!! Upgrades to Poser 5 from previous versions of Poser are available at the following US$ prices direct from the Curious Labs web store. Purchase of the Poser 5 upgrade will require a valid Poser serial number, and you may only purchase one upgrade serial number. $209 - Poser 1, 2, 3 Mac or Win to Poser 5 Win $179 - Poser 4 Mac or Win to Poser 5 Win $129 - Poser 4 + Pro Pack Mac or Win to Poser 5 Win

Himico ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 7:13 PM

Little_Dragon, and starlet,
thank you for your responses. I am going to buy it as soon as it is available.

Is anybody planning to publish a good book of Poser5?

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 7:51 PM

I hear that Poser 5 will ship with an extensive manual, which may account for the size of the box, as shown in a couple of pictures on the CL website. As far as other books are concerned, the only one I've heard of thus far will be by Shamms Mortier. Based on his track record, I don't think it'll qualify as "good".

kbade ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 8:42 PM

If I remember correctly Nosfiratu is doing the included manual, and the impression I got is that it's almost all new, and extensive indeed.

gryffnn ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 9:21 PM

Sometimes a writer has a close relationship with a company throughout the software development process - plus real-world, professional experience pushing the beta to its limits - resulting in a book that's not just a rehash of the manual, but a real must-have for serious users. There's nothing to suggest that such a situation exists with Poser. I'd wait to take a good look at Anthony's manual (and tutorials that will pop up throughout the community) before ordering a book - could save you cash you can spend on Poser goodies!

Nosfiratu ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 10:16 PM

I want my POSER 5 Now look at them Lab Rats: That's the way they do it! They code their butts off in the dead of night. That's real workin', that's the way they do it. Create random faces, use MorphPutty as well. Now that's real workin', that's the way Curious does it. Lemme tell ya, them Lab Rats ain't dumb. Maybe get a blister on their right-click finger, maybe break their [ENTER] key... We gotta play with micropolys, gotta to try ray-tracing. We gotta connect more nodes, gotta test-render again. See Ms. Posette with the earrings and the makeup? Yeah, buddy, that's dynamic hair. That Mr. Kupa's got his own red Porshe. That Mr. Kupa'll be a millionaire. I shoulda learned about motion capture. I shoulda learned to create shader trees. Look at the P5 woman: She's got it stickin' in the camera! Man, we're gonna have some fun... And now Dork's up there, what's that? Motion blur? Chargin' down his walk path like a mad machine. That's real workin', that's how Curious does it: Create random faces, and use MorphPutty as well! Now that's real workin', that's how dem Lab Rats do it: They code their butts off in the dead of night. That's real workin', that's how Curious does it: Create random faces, and use MorphPutty as well! Create random faces, use MorphPutty as well. Create random faces, use MorphPutty as well. I want my, I want my, I want my POSER 5! I want my, I want my, I want my POSER 5!

kbade ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 10:24 PM

Got 'em off the Ren & Stimpy, anyway;-)

PabloS ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 11:08 PM

Nosfiratu, Great lyrics! But I'm wondering will the P5 manual read the same way? :-)

Nosfiratu ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 11:09 PM

but of course!

starlet ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 11:16 PM

Oh my lord. PLEASE send this to the rest of the staff. SOOOOO glad I logged on tonight. FALLING OUT OF MY CHAIR!! :)

starlet ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 11:19 PM

I'm not waiting for you to send it to the staff...I already did!! So funny dear!

krazik ( ) posted Wed, 07 August 2002 at 11:59 PM

Anthony.... He's a nut. Does our insurance cover checking employee's into the home? heh -Rylan Curious IT Geek

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 08 August 2002 at 3:08 PM

ok..enough already...just tell us the release date so we can sleep

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.