Sat, Sep 21, 12:47 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Hey you! Up in the sky !

Rork1973 ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 9:00 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:37 AM

file_20061.jpg

Last weekend there was this (hot air) ballooning festival, and cause they were going up into the sky between 7pm & 9.30pm, it was a nice chance to shoot during constantly changing light...or in other words: dusk ;) When I arrived there is was a dissapointment. The area where the balloons were inflated was very a very narrow square, sealed off for the public (really stupid of me not to call up the organization to have ask permission to shoot inside the area). It was also really busy, people crowding around the area, and when I thought it couldn't be any worse, I noticed these lines of bulb lights hanging in between flags (that featured the sponsors' logos)...and cause I didn't took my 180mm with me, I was stuck with 80mm max :( So almost anything I tried featured a line with bulbs and/or a flag. And when I finally got to a so-so spot to shoot, I noticed that they moved (from where I was standing) straight into the sun. =( But it seems that sometimes you can be unlucky and lucky at the same time ;) The event for that night was cancelled, because of the weather - there was a very small area of rain passing us to our noth, but they didn't want to take any risc, or that's what I heard. Lucky enough almost everyone turned around and walked away, creating all the room that I hoped to get in the first place. And so, while the already inflated balloons were slowly being deflated, I took some shots. :) Well, since these things are so beautiful, I thought it might be fun to post a couple here. So apologies if there are too many =) Hope you like 'em....although please feel free to critize! Bart PS I shot them all on Fuji Provia 100F, most at f/16 and the ones with very low light at f/11 or f/8 to maintain some depth and sharpness.

Rork1973 ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 9:01 PM

file_20062.jpg

Another one, when the weather was starting to change. Lucky enough it was just a few moments of clouds....but it was almost too dark to shot at this point.

Rork1973 ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 9:03 PM

file_20063.jpg

Another one that I took at the end, when nobody was infront of my viewfinder ;) I thought I might as well put that stupid flagpole into use.

Rork1973 ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 9:05 PM

file_20064.jpg

Here's another one of those stupid poles. Ruined my view and blew the chance of a perfectly good picture =(

Rork1973 ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 9:06 PM

file_20065.jpg

Here's one for the real Fuji fans, like me ;)

Rork1973 ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 9:07 PM

file_20066.jpg

Well, Fuji Rulllllllezzzzzzz =)

Rork1973 ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 9:13 PM

file_20067.jpg

Another one that went back & forth during the inflation....nearly crashed on top of us. Pretty exciting stuff, to see how big these guys really are.

Rork1973 ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 9:15 PM

file_20068.jpg

Last one for this evening....same one....same bulbs also :(

Rork1973 ( ) posted Wed, 14 August 2002 at 9:22 PM

Just noticed a zillion of typos, forgot to delete a few words as well, lol :)

firestorm ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 1:11 AM

hi, seems like an interesting event...pity about the weather...i've never shot at dusk but you seem to have done a good job of it. those fuji pics are great...like the one thats falling over...the one with the flagpole is also not bad

Pictures appear to me, I shoot them.   Elliot Erwitt

Antoonio ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 6:39 AM

...first image must be one of the best balloon images I have seen. And like firestorm, flagpole image is killer too. Good work, and definedly worth of effort. .n

Quinn ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 7:04 AM

In spite of all the problems, man these are good. The first one alone, would have made the trip worth wile, for me.

Michelle A. ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 7:33 AM

Awww......these are beautiful Rork!!! I'm dying to shoot one of these things....you had hella bad conditions, but you seemed to make the best of it...that first one like everyone already said is just awesome!!

I am, therefore I create.......
--- michelleamarante.com

starshuffler ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 7:47 AM

WOW!!! If I weren't so acrophobic hot air ballooning would be the thing for me! These are great shots, Rork. The first one is a killer. (*

Caledonia ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 8:14 AM

These are all awesome, the first is my favorite

bevchiron ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 12:07 PM

These are great, the first one is a lovely shot, that flagpole is definitely my favourite too, & I really like the falling fuji!

elusive.chaos

"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star...." (Nietzsche)

mysnapz ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 2:54 PM

Some nice shots here Rork was this in the UK over at Bristol? I was on the old Severn Bridge trying to snap the new one in this light and could see the balloons in the sky. You are right its a hard subject to picture, there is just so much colour and activity at these events, I like all these shots especially #5 with the guys walking under the Fuji balloon a great sense of scale in it. :O)

Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing. Salvador Dali

Rork1973 ( ) posted Thu, 15 August 2002 at 5:51 PM

Thanks a lot for the comments, glad you all like it :) Mysnapz, no...it was at an event last week over here in Holland. A small annual event that has become pretty large over the last years. A bit too busy people-wise this time, to be honest. Did you make any photos at Bristol ? I'd love to see 'em :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.