Sat, Sep 21, 6:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Obj import

HemiMG ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2002 at 12:54 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 6:41 AM

I just downloaded the mac version of the vue 4 demo. I'm trying to load OBJ files into the program but it refuses to load the texture coordinates. One of the files was created in UVMapper and another in poser, none of them get texture data imported correctly. Is this just the way things have to be? I'm sick of shelling out hundreds of dollars for tons of incompatible 3d programs, I'm trying to make sure my models work on as many modellers as possible but so far Vue, Cinema4d and Electric Image all strike out on simple OBJ files. All texture related. I know the OBJ files are correct becuase I've written software loaders for them for my games, and they work fine in poser. Am I missing something?

MightyPete ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2002 at 3:02 PM

Ya maybe. Make sure the texture is set to object space not world space. It should work every time. Objects generally load no problems into Vue.

HemiMG ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2002 at 3:30 PM

Yep, it's set to object space. When I load the obj the texture doesn't come with it. I have to ctrl click on the material and load the image in from there. Is this the standard way of having to do things? Maybe I have to put the obj file and it's texture into a certain directory or something? I'm downloading the Bryce demo now to see if it'll work in that. I was really surprised that both Cinema4d and Vue had problems. Obj files are straightforward enough for me to look at them and see that they are fine, I don't know what Vue's hangup could be. I tried to email their tech support and see what they said but I couldn't find a way to email them from their website. All they let me do is search the knowledge base which didn't have any answers. When I clicked on contact a technician it sent me right back to the knowledge base search results.

gebe ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2002 at 4:29 PM

I use a PC and am sorry not to be able to help out here. normally OBJ imports fine with all the mappings. Maybe Lynn Fredricks, if he reads this message, could tell you more. Vue has been updated, for MAc and PC. Possibly the demo has some (obj) problems. But a MAC user from another list recently told me the following (his Poser figures came without maps). He has opened all the maps of the file in a paint program and saved them as "*.pict". Then he has put the file and all the maps in a special folder and it worked perfectly. Maybe you could try that? Wish sincerely you find a solution:-) Guitta

HemiMG ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2002 at 5:13 PM

I don't think changing it to pict would help, vue apparently can't read png files and when I had the obj use a png file it compained. When I switched to tiff, which it can read, it quit complaining. It didn't load the texture apparently but it did quit complaining. It would help if the e-on software tech support was easier to get a hold of. If the bryce demo turns out to be everything I want I may get that instead, or maybe I'll just wait for Poser 5. Still it'd be nice if my models worked in more than one 3d app. I don't suppose I can be expected to do more than to provide a standard obj file though.

MightyPete ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2002 at 5:24 PM

The hard way is to edit the obj file and make sure the texture it's calling for is the same as in the file and if not edit the file accordingly. You should be able to open up the obj file in a notepad (editpad) program and check the texture file name making sure it's still pointing to the right file. oldtexture.png oldtexture.tiff In Vue usually if you browes to the file location it will stick and if you then save you object inside of Vue it will stick forever as long as you do not move the files from where they where saved. It usually asks what file you want to use if it cannot find it when importing a mesh. I seem to remember a quark about file types for textures with object meshes.

HemiMG ( ) posted Mon, 19 August 2002 at 5:35 PM

Ok, I'll try the pict, maybe there is an issue with tiff. I know about editing the files by hand, but can't do it that way on the mac. The stupid textedit program insists on saving my mtl file as a richtext, even though I told it to save all new files as plain text only. It seems to think it is a simpletext document and won't give me the option to save as plain text. I just love the way Mac and Windows go out of their way to make things "easier" on you. I guess I'll try opening it in one of the UNIX text editors that come with OS X next time I don't feel like opening poser just to edit an OBJ.

rollmops ( ) posted Tue, 20 August 2002 at 3:15 PM

Hi, Bryce-object files are different to "normal"wavefront object formats.I`m using an pc-system and I made the experience the complex obj-files are sometimes not imported correctly in vue (missing parts).Therefor I save my files in the 3ds-format in order to import them in vue.Mostly I make the textures than in vue and save them in the vob-format.Alpha informations are mostly not converted right when you import them in vue,you have to invert the alpha-texture first. rollmops :-)

http://www.fredivoss.de 

...yippi ah yeah or something like that...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.