Mon, Oct 21, 10:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: CROSSTALK easy and fast CHEAT!

-renapd- ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2002 at 1:57 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:35 PM
Site Admin

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=236326

Cheat or tip.. call it whatever you like.. all I know is that works and made my life a lot easier.. proof the attached gallery image! :) Would you ever imagine having 13 Millenium characters in the same scene, and apply different posing with no hassle and perfect behaving of morphs? Well it is possible.. and all it takes is just a couple of extra clicks.. not to mention it helps Poser to behave a lot better too during the set up process.. No huge file you see..:) How?? Here are the easy 1,2,3 steps.. Pose , dress up and apply textures to one figure at a time at its very own right where you wish it to be at your scene.. Once done.. export as one obj but checking the retain group names so later on you can re-apply the hair trans in the high res prop in the materials editor... Repeat procedure for each single figure.. Once all done, re-import one at a time with all boxes unchecked so it falls right in place..That's all, ready to save and render! :) Happy millenium croweded renderings guys.. I had lots of fun with this one tonight myself! ;) Rena

[[MyGallery] [MyStore]
"Collect moments, not things."

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2002 at 2:06 PM

Huh??? How do you export figures as obj files, then re-import them and stil get them to pose and conform. Not being picky, Rena. I just don't understand how it's possible. Or....wait.... You mean, once they're re-imported, they're no longer posable? Oh dear...I'm confused. mac

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2002 at 2:08 PM

Er.....if that's so (that they're no longer posable), isn't that a bit like burning down the house to roast a chicken? mac

-renapd- ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2002 at 2:09 PM
Site Admin

yes Mac.. once re-imported.. they're just a high-res non posable prop! :) No crosstalk can affect them, yet with retaining group names all materials are there and you can change as you wish! :) Rena

[[MyGallery] [MyStore]

-renapd- ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2002 at 2:11 PM
Site Admin

No mac... it's not... see the image! Each one was posed, dressed up and set as I wished it to be ONE at a time. Export only when you're sure you don't wish to alter anything to the pose... they'll fall back in place once re-imported with all boxes unchecked.. and Poser makes the mtl that retains all texturing info so no more hassle unless you use tansparencies that need to be reset to 100% :) It's a lot easier than what it sounds.. trust me and try it! :)

[[MyGallery] [MyStore]

Roy G ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2002 at 2:26 PM

That's a great tip Rena. Once imported and once you reapply the trans and bump maps, you could then save these frozen Non-Posable Characters as props and keep the trans maps and bump maps applied.

maclean ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2002 at 2:32 PM

Yes, Rena. I see how it could be useful. Assuming, that is, that you don't suddenly want to move a finger or something! Personally, I'd probably end up with white hair, and in one of those funny jackets that you wear backwards. mac

neurocyber ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2002 at 8:50 PM

Yup. I tried this once and it worked great. :)

crisjon1950 ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2002 at 9:22 PM

Attached Link: Ron's Freebie Site

file_21411.jpg

Ouch. I have never exported any object files, and don't import many at all. And heck I wouldn't want to cripple my figures just to fight crosstalk. Better to use the method taught by Jaggar, Gaz, et all. The tutorial is on my site. I easily got 6 figures in this scene without crippling them. I only quit at 6 because I was bored.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2002 at 10:39 PM

Very interesting. I've been exporting characters anyway to play with rendering in POVRay via PoseRay. Not everyone will dig it for crosstalk control, depends on how good you are at getting the pose perfect before "freezing" it. I think it could have great utility for creating a library of stock figures for background and crowd scenes. I think figures like this are commonly used in populating architectural renderings. If you used lo-res figures, you could easily add several to a scene. Saved as props, you should be able to make MAT files and get variations in clothing color/transparency and skin textures.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Roy G ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2002 at 11:09 PM

That's not really fair Ron. Renna has 13 Figures all clothed and all with hair, plus a huge scene to play in. If your going to condemn her method, at least show us you can create a comparable scene using your method.

I don't think Rena claimed this was a cure all for cross talk. It is an interesting alternative that has merit.

PabloS ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2002 at 11:15 PM

Yup. I saw this method explained a few months back in a thread about saving memory. It's a great tip and the figure is only "crippled" if you weren't done posing.

Spanki ( ) posted Sat, 24 August 2002 at 11:31 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=839106

Nice work Rena... it's a good work-around, depending on the situation. For those interested in other methods of dealing with crosstalk (and their pros/cons), you might want to check the above thread.

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2002 at 12:26 AM

I use the export/import OBJ trick regularly, since I don't have enough memory to easily play around with multiple Millennium figures in one scene. The fact that it's a crosstalk workaround is merely a bonus.

This image from my gallery uses three Victoria figures. The complete scene file, props and all, weighed in at 82.5MB. Poser wouldn't render it on my system. The figures were already dressed and posed, so I exported them as OBJ meshes, deleted the figures from the scene, and reimported the meshes as props. The scene file was reduced to 19.2MB, which my system could handle.

It's a very good trick, but I wouldn't recommend it for animation, unless you have a lot of time on your hands. :)

crisjon1950 ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2002 at 3:43 AM

Attached Link: Ron's Freebie Site

I'm not about to put together the same scene with 13 characters. Instead, I've already produced an excellent tutorial concerning the method I use to combat crosstalk. I learned that method from Gaz and Jaager. That tutorial has been available on my web site for months now. The wonderful thing about this method is that you retain full usage of your characters, and this is permanent.

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2002 at 3:53 AM

Very clever, Rena. In experimenting with preparing Poser figures for Bryce a while back, by happy accident I discovered that I could re-import figures back into Poser--that I'd posed and textured and exported as obj's--with poses and textures intact. But I had no idea that the process had this added benefit. Thanks for a great tip!

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2002 at 4:39 AM

Cool tip, but hopefully this will all be mute within about 2 weeks when Poser 5 comes out. Yeaaaa! Yes, LittleD, as an animator I can tell battling cross-talk this way is really not an option. Still a terrific idea nonetheless. =Tim (1 of the 12: co-founder)

pdxjims ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2002 at 11:09 AM

This is a great idea, especially when combined with crisjon1950's tutorial. When I've got 2 (or more) figures interacting, I use crisjon's method, since I've got to pose them together. I then export the objects, pose the next set, and export them. Finally I can import all of them into a single render with no cross talk, yet I still have all the posing relationships. In effect we do the same thing when we export them to Bryce or Vue. Of course, the real answer is just getting rid of crosstalk completely (I hope) with Poser 5.

crisjon1950 ( ) posted Sun, 25 August 2002 at 12:52 PM

Once you have used the method I advocate, the figures are "immune" to crosstalk. Well to be technical, only two identical figures will cause or suffer from crosstalk. Example: two Marlin Fingle characters that have been specially altered.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 8:09 AM

You should be fine, then, Ron, unless Marlin meets his evil twin. :)

shadownet ( ) posted Mon, 26 August 2002 at 4:18 PM

Thanks Rena. :O)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.