Sat, Sep 21, 1:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Going mad - will kill computer with brick.

Vaddix ( ) posted Sat, 31 August 2002 at 9:55 PM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 11:15 AM

file_22119.jpg

I'm sure this question has been asked here a dozen times, but here we go again.....How do I prevent or remove these pesky lines? I'm trying to paint light rays onto a dark background, but no mater what I try I still end up with this effect. I believe it has something to do with resolution? How can I fix this - or better still avoid it in the first place? Thanks.

retrocity ( ) posted Sat, 31 August 2002 at 10:26 PM

Banding often happens like that if you are working in INDEX mode or setting your resolution to 72DPI with a limited color palette. Are you working in RGB? Are you using WEB SAFE colors? What is the resolution and the image size? Save the brick! We'll help you! :) retrocity

Vaddix ( ) posted Sat, 31 August 2002 at 11:29 PM

The image is 2000 by 2500 pixels. The Resolution is 200 dpi. It is in RGB mode. I can't understand why this is happening.....reaches for the brick

Vaddix ( ) posted Sat, 31 August 2002 at 11:31 PM

PS - if it makes any difference I'm using colors from the Pantone Coated Pallette....

retrocity ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2002 at 12:53 AM

Yikes! That's very odd (or my brain isn't working...) What method are you using to create the "rays"?

Heronheart ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2002 at 12:56 AM

It looks like you've got a gradient in this image. It's not uncommon to get banding in a large gradient. Use the noise filter on it. If you set it right, you can get rid of the banding without introducing any visible noise. - Ken Heronheart -

Vaddix ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2002 at 3:46 AM

Thanks Heron - I'll give it a try. But no there is no gradient. Retrocity - I was creating the light ray effect using the airbrush on a new layer. I've since tried doing it on a solid color layer with much better results. However if I adjust the levels even slightly the bands will show, such as above. But even though I was creating them on a new layer, surely Photoshop is a powerful enough tool to be able to handle the transperancy. Could low computer memory be at fault?

Vaddix ( ) posted Sun, 01 September 2002 at 5:04 AM

file_22120.jpg

Here's a larger view so you can see the extent of the interference. It was intended to be backlighting for a forest scene. First I used the fill tool in very dark green, and used the airbrush to brush long diagonal strokes over the top, in various shades, to give the impression of greenish light rays. Then motion blur was applied to help blend together. But the end results are pretty appauling. The motion blur only adds to the problem. But I still don't think this is normal; I also have a similar problem when using the lighting filter. Also, adjusting the levels feature adds further agravation. I tried using the noise filter as suggested above, but because of the severity of the pattern, I would have to use a lot of noise which looked worse than what we have here.

Valandar ( ) posted Wed, 04 September 2002 at 3:16 PM

Try adding about 15%-20% Gaussian Monochromatic noise, and then a Gaussian Blur with a pixel radius equal to about 5%-10% of the shorter image dimension.

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.