Sat, Sep 21, 2:52 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Athalon + P5 = Mess?

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 3:21 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:48 AM

It seems that all those having large problems with P5, hang ups, errors, crashes, etc, are running athalon machines. Anyone with an intel having simular problems? I ask because I switched to intel after having video/graphic related problems that boiled down to the amd chip. I spent over 800 on video cards before finding out the problem, this was back when a 350 was top hat...and i haven't heard of it since then...but could it be a reoccurrance of the same problem? Please post if you have an intel with these problems too.

Tirjasdyn

ronmolina ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 3:28 PM

Nothing wrong with AMD thats what I am running. Ron

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 3:28 PM

We'll have to get a concensus. CPU, memory, OS will need to be given by repliers to see if this is an AMD-related issue. I haven't had any problems on my dual-Intel system yet, but haven't played with P5 yet since installing (web site creation in progress). I also have an Athlon XP 1700 machine onto which may or may not be installed P5, depending on how CL and its EULA feel about it. ;) If it is within my rights to install it there, I will and see if these problem exist on that machine. Kuroyume

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

wdupre ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 3:45 PM

sure its within your rights, no prob's here, athalon 800, 764megs, loaded on drive D. been pushing it for three days now, other then things they left out I found no bugs.

Entropic ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 3:47 PM

Win XP Home, 1.4 Pentium, 1.5 GB DDRAM - No issues yet. Win ME, 600 MHz Celeron, 384 MB SDRAM - Considerable platform instability. ( but, hey, it's Windows ME - What can I expect? ;> ) Paul

Jcleaver ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 3:47 PM

No problems here either. Athlon 1900+, 512 MB RAM

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 3:48 PM

also the user reporting should include what GFX card they are running and what version drivers. There have been some issues with the Nvidia Drivers of late. this could be a clue to the crashes. (I do not buy all these being user error - I've spent 3 years on frontline / secondline Tech Support.. I've not seen this much from a rollout b4) Kai

rnicoll ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 3:55 PM

Also consider the motherboard chipset. I've had a lot of problems with VIA chipsets before, especially when under load. KT266A and KT333 seem to have been a lot better though...

trails2rails ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 3:59 PM

Machine: Intel P4 1400 Mhz, 1 GB memory, 2 120GB disks OS: Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 What I have noticed is the following: - with one Judy loaded and one article of clothing - slow performance through the menus (like Poser4 with 10-20 figures loaded) - hang up of parameter dialog windows, then lingering dead parameter dialog windows, then total hangup of the program. I am not doing anything fancy here, just playing around, yes before reading the manual, I admit. Honestly there appear to be some "stability problems" here, though new features look impressive. I am not too fond of the strand based hair yet though - it looks "wet" to me, though I am sure someone will figure this out...

sharwebb ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 4:06 PM

Attached Link: http://www.fractalus.com/Sharon

I have an Athlon XP (1700+) with 512 MG memory. Plenty of hard drive space. Running Win 98A. I have been plagued with crashes, error messages, slow downs, etc. I reinstalled Poser 5 and am still have trouble. Sharon

sharwebb ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 4:06 PM

Attached Link: http://www.fractalus.com/Sharon

I have an Athlon XP (1700+) with 512 MG memory. Plenty of hard drive space. Running Win 98A. I have been plagued with crashes, error messages, slow downs, etc. I reinstalled Poser 5 and am still have trouble. Sharon

phoenixamon ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 4:14 PM

Athlon 1.4 Ghz, 1 gig ram, XP Pro, Matrox G400 video card with 32 Mb, around 4 gigs page file (virtual mem). I have had a lot of problems, the most aggravating of which is that almost every attempt to render Vicky crashes Poser, textured or untextured, regardless of render settings. Most of my crashes have been at render time, but I rule out user error if all I do is load a default untextured model and render. :( Not only Vicky makes it crash, but she almost guarantees it. Phoenix

ronmolina ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 4:27 PM

file_23490.jpg

No problems with Vicky here renders fine. Both versions. AMD dual 1.2 with 512 usually 1024, four drives, fire, usb and two internal. Renders are very fast. Home built. Ron

ronmolina ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 4:28 PM

OOps Win 2000 pro. Ron

Tamela.J. ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 4:45 PM

Im running Athlon as well & have had not 1 problem. Dont think AMD is the issue, just my .02 cents. ~Tamela

thorntoa ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 4:49 PM

Dual Athlon Xp 1700s, 1 Gig Ram, Win Xp Pro - no problems so far

Allan Thornton

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 5:03 PM

what to say, hey... I HAD problems...screen locks, windows freezing, document window turning white...which just happened again..sending screen shot to Curious... AMD 1800+ 512ram gf3 ti500 64m3g video 140gig hard drive XP Home Logitech squeeling mouse and a partridge in a pear tree.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

phoenixamon ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 5:13 PM

The partridge in a pear tree may be your problem. The last upgrade for those was circa 1545. I suggest ditching it for the more modern pidgeon on a power line. Phoenix

ronmolina ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 5:27 PM

Okay Phoenix you owe me a key board! Second one I lost this week. Beer just killed this one. Hey and clean my screen! Ron

phoenixamon ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 5:30 PM

Sorry, Ron. I'm a bit punchy what with all the P5 ups and downs. :) Phoenix

redon634 ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 6:18 PM

I have an Athlon Xp 1800, Windows Xp with SP1, 1 Gb ram, Abit Siluro video card which uses Nvidia drivers. Motherboard is an Abit KT7A-RAID with Via KT133 chipset. I haven't had any problems. I was using windows 98 with Poser 4 until just a few weeks ago, and used to lock up all the time. Switching to XP fixed that. I built my system, and from lurking around various pc newsgroups video cards which use Nvidia drivers are fairly notorious for causing all sorts of problems, don't know why, since they're so common. I had to put in my 5 year old Diamond video card to get XP to install on my system, and put my AGP card in after it was installed. Poser 5 has slowed down on me and taken a long time to refresh at times, which makes me think it might be a "Poser feeding data to video card" problem that's plaguing so many people, but who knows.

whoopdat ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 7:44 PM

"I have an Athlon XP (1700+) with 512 MG memory. Plenty of hard drive space. Running Win 98A. I have been plagued with crashes, error messages, slow downs, etc. I reinstalled Poser 5 and am still have trouble. Sharon" Get rid of 98 as soon as you can and put on 2000 (or, if you prefer for some strange reason, XP, but 2000 has fewer problems). 98 is a pile and that is likely the source of your problems. Besides, it can't even use all of that ram. It uses roughly 192 megs and no more. And 98a (pre-98SE) is particularly full of really ugly bugs. I'd wager Poser isn't the only thing crashing on your system.

quixote ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 7:56 PM

AMD 1600+, 1.5 G ram. 40G drive. Win2K Server. No problem whisles along so far. Oh! KT-233A. I've had it 1 day only... Cheers Q

Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hazard
S Mallarmé

mfuhsi ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 8:15 PM

AMD 900MHZ 128MG SDRAM, windows 98se, and NVIDIA I had some freezes the first day ( I got my copy of P5 on monday),numerous problems on tuesday, and wednesday it all worked like a dream, I havent tried it today so we will see.

Dale B ( ) posted Thu, 12 September 2002 at 10:55 PM

AMD XP-1700, Shuttle AK-31 mobo with the KT-266 VIA chipset. 512meg DDR DRAM, EVGA GF4 Ti-4400 running the latest Detonator driver. Promise Ultra 133 TX-2 HDD controller card, with 160 gigs spread across 3 ATA-100 and 1 ATA-133 drives. 56X CD Reader, 24X CDRW, each master on a motherboard IDE channel. SB Audigy Platinum with release drivers. Dual boot with 98-SE configured as a 98lite Sleek install, and Win2k Pro with SP 2 installed OEM. So far P5 has installed flawlessly, run flawlessly, linked to outside runtimes flawlessly. Flawlessly enough to get an idea of the size of the learning curve awaiting me...

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 13 September 2002 at 12:09 AM

I have athelon 1.4 / 512 / asus board. ATI all in wonder 8500DV. Win 2000 pro. As I said earlier, I had these crash / video / freeze problems but after two or three reboots they went away. I am experiencing some other oddities with my system as of yesterday and today, but at the moment believe they are unrelated to yesterday's poser install. Lets all run for a while then see.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.