Tue, Oct 22, 6:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Approch P5 Hair Room Like a Real Hairdresser

macmullin ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 7:57 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 6:43 AM

Attached Link: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1562530704/ref=lib_rd_ss_TT01/102-3104827-9839343?v=g

Hairstyles are cut in small sections at a time and from what I have seen of the layout of the P5 hair room this would be the best way to work. The hair I do believe first placed on the head stands up on the models head and then is made to lay down over(some one can correct me on this - I am going by screen shots) Professional HairDressing Magazines have cutting maps for hairdressers that are laid out into hair sections and quadrants of the head and in three views front back and profile (a blue print for learning how to cut or learn new styles). Just go to a good local Salon or HairDressing school and they will have what you need. (ie. Salon Magazine) See the example I found on the net (link) of what I am talking about.

macmullin ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 8:03 PM

28 Styles for Student Practice: With Basic Cutting and Styling Guides book at amazon.com. Look at the second page just click on the "See all 4 sample pages" or "See more product details".

redon634 ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 8:06 PM

Good idea - thanks! It does seem to help to break the head or skullcap up into several groups.

Dave-So ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 9:11 PM

Great---I've been experimenting using sections..but that also has length cutting etc....plus direction...off to the library

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

macmullin ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 9:55 PM

Attached Link: http://ez2www.com/go.php3?site=book&go=1562531034

I found another book series that have these kind of digrams Milady's Haircutting: A Technical Guide: Men'S, Women's and Children's Cuts at amazon.com. click on the "See all 6 sample pages" or "See more product details".

PheonixRising ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 10:06 PM

file_23952.jpg

Hey there, So funny the books you can buy on line. How cool that you found one of those books. They are very hard to come by these days. Yes sectioning is very helpful. 3d hair is this case might be more akin to assembling a wig. With wigs the focus is really on the top layer and the hairline. Anything underneath and invisible might be better off ignored if possible. I know the thought of "front only" hardoos isn't appealing but it can easily shave 10 minutes off your render time. If you do want to section, remember to stagger the sections like bricks to that each section helps conceal the parts and sectioning below or behind it. When we cut hair, our sections are like a grid, but for styling, our sections are staggered. Anton Something else to keep in mind is that hairdressing is akin to dressmaking where geomtric shapes are connected but applied to a fluid medium like cloth. Perhaps the Cloth Room is a better place to be looking at doing hair if you want something like Kosaburo's

-Anton, creator of ApolloMaximus: 32,000+ downloads since 3-13-07
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

NEW The Poser FaceInterMixer

TalmidBen ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 10:38 PM

Anton, that hair is amazing. I do not see spline based hair totally replacing polygon based transmapped hair. I see a merging of the two, in mixing and matching combos in various styles, and that polygon based may be better for different styles of hair - what do you think?

PheonixRising ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 10:47 PM

That is a sticky professional opinion that might be better not answered. Mixing and matching is the ideal scenario I think. Basically do what works. There has only recently been an innovation in hair rendering technology. It will be a bit before it catches up with the industry. Just my opinion. Even Sasquach looks like hair plugs at the root.

-Anton, creator of ApolloMaximus: 32,000+ downloads since 3-13-07
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

NEW The Poser FaceInterMixer

Scarab ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 11:16 PM

I wonder if CL has thought about packaging a limited form of Poser5 with just heads and the hair room and marketing this to hairstylists to try dry runs on hairstyle ideas? That could be a small but lucrative market! You heard it here first! Copyright 2002! I expect a percentage for the idea!!!!! ....or free upgrades for the rest of my life.....or maybe a new computer so I can run P5 finally....or maybe a pony...... Scarab

TalmidBen ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 11:48 PM

lol scarab . .. good idea. . .. lol

TalmidBen ( ) posted Sun, 15 September 2002 at 11:50 PM

thanks Anton for the info, it is really cool to be able to talk with a Poser Visionary! lol. Bodyhandles! I mean, who thinks of this stuff!

macmullin ( ) posted Mon, 16 September 2002 at 5:47 AM

Anton I spent 7 years as a hairdresser before I went back to school. In trade school - we had books just like these but much better with a filmstrip (but I can't remember the product name). I then spent 9 years in university earning my way through my BFA (Bachelor of Fine Art) and my post secondary work cutting hair in my dorm room and during the summer. I was lucky that my father was a Barber Stylist and our family had our owned Salon to go home to. Unfortunately I do not have P5 yet or I would be by now sweeping the polygons off of the floor :-)lol I am going to see a beauty rep and see if one can still get these books. At one time as well cutting Diagrams use to come with your new poster or display window styles once a month (a subscription the shop would buy). This I am going to look into.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.