Tue, Oct 22, 8:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Card II: the Papess

headhunter ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2000 at 11:46 PM ยท edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 8:35 AM

file_123925.jpg

Another card from my WIP tarot deck. Unfortunately I lost the PZ3 file in a write error, but I still have the 3DS. The dress is a modified mermaid-tail, and still doesn't look quite like what I want but it's hard to find a dress that poses that way. (For the Pope card I used a distorted pants-leg for his robe, it sounds silly but it seems to work!)

bloodsong ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2000 at 6:35 PM

heya; that's cool! a mermaid tail thing might make a neat morticia addams dress, too. :) (and i dont want to be toooooo picky, but her hat looks a little crooked... 'cause the design doesnt line up with her nose.)

headhunter ( ) posted Sat, 25 March 2000 at 11:53 PM

I didn't notice that before, but it probably is slightly askew. I realigned it a bit in Vue b/c it was intersecting with the bangs of her hair and (as you probably know) it's a royal pain to align ANYTHING in Vue when all you can see is a sketched wireframe while you're moving it! (the design is simply a texmap) I don't know if it's worth the trouble to fix unless someone can point me to a better seated-dress model, then I'll happily redo the whole thing. (I'll have to... as I mentioned, the PZ3 got eaten by a write error so I'd have to recreate the figure & re-pose it.) Then again, if you were wearing something like that on your head, it'd probably wind up a bit crooked from the inertia of turning your head. Maybe she just needs a hand mirror!

silverbranch ( ) posted Sun, 26 March 2000 at 7:16 AM

Hiya Headhunter, At the time I started mine I didn't have Poser...in fact I started out to do a total collage deck. It took me about an hour to realize I couldn't find the scenery I wanted on my 17 photo disks. :-) So I said, "Hmmmm, maybe I can make the backgrounds in Vue and collage them in.". It worked well, and now I have Poser so I can do more with it. I may redo my Lovers card using Bloodsongs swans, I was never 100% happy with how that one came out. If you're interested, there is a nice scroll at http://members.tripod.com/~b3d/ and he also has a nice book with the pages seperate from the body so they can be mapped seperately. I've seen some nice dresses at Poser Props Guild but haven't tried to use them yet. I would never have thought of using a mermaid tail.....that's a good idea and actually pretty appropriate. Gail

bloodsong ( ) posted Sun, 26 March 2000 at 12:22 PM

heyas; headhunter, did you see rena's new um... byzantine holy people? (sorry, i'm not up on the technical terms!) i thought they'd look killer as tarot icons. :)

headhunter ( ) posted Mon, 27 March 2000 at 2:04 PM

Silv: I wish someone with some modeling skills would create a dress jointed like the mermaid tail. That would be ideal. Nerd has a skirt on his site, but it's not full-length. A pants-leg also makes a good seated dress/robe if you make invis' all but one thigh & shin & do some warping & positioning. As for the Lovers card, I saw your two versions on your site. Both were original symbolisms (I prefer the swans over the odd-couple in front of the Tree of Life background, it looks a bit "noir" for a Lovers card [G]) The most common variants are the man between the two women often with a cupid overhead (supposedly symbolising love of ones family & ones mate or variants thereon) and the "Adam & Eve" scene with only one man, one woman and a third figure (this card is called "marriage" in some decks, e.g Eteilla tarot) What sort of symbolism were you shooting for on your Lovers card? Maybe I can suggest something. BTW: I have Trimax's scroll, the texmap is what I used for the Papess's book pages. Bloodsong: Didn't see the Byzantines on Rena's page (at least not under the new stuff) Do you recall what they were called exactly?

silverbranch ( ) posted Mon, 27 March 2000 at 4:33 PM

Hi Headhunter, Well, I wanted some image for the Lovers that wasn't overwhelmingly heterosexual and didn't exclude alternative sexuality. That's where the swans came from. (Since they mate for life I liked the symbolism) While I personally don't follow that path, I can see where others who do would feel left out in traditional decks. I also plan to do a traditional version for myself as well....the Adam and Eve type. The "Odd couple" one was a Pagan version I did...I really don't consider any of the cards completely done. I saw the Byzantie figures in the Poser Forum, I think she said they would be posted this weekend. Gail

headhunter ( ) posted Thu, 30 March 2000 at 1:09 AM

If you want something that implies finding a soulmate (regardless of the sexual orientation of the couple) here's a suggestion: How about something like the Two of Cups in the Waite deck (not necessarily holding the cups) but with both figures backlit so they appear in silhouette, their sex undiscernable. That way the viewer can simply read it as a loving couple, regardless of sexual affinity. I never thought of the card as being strictly heterosexual (whether that's because I'm a hetero male or because I was simply associating the card with an abstract concept I'm not sure) but I can see where some might find the card not pictorially representative of their lovelife. It might take some doing to get the figures "androgynous" enough, but if you dress them appropriately you might not be able to tell the boys from the girls :) (If you happen to have the Sheridan/Douglas deck, compare their Two of Cups, it's similar to my idea but the figures' sexes are obvious)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.