Fri, Sep 20, 4:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: new Dragon problem

Little Red ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 6:44 PM ยท edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:21 AM

The new dragon renders fine if I don't put on any MATS, but locks up when I do. I've cleared off the desktop for memory purposes. The capacity is 37.2GB, of which 18.7GB is free. Any suggstions???

Spit ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 10:10 PM

It's probably memory..how much you got? Those textures for the dragon are huge...the body map and bump alone are going to take over 70 megs.

Little Red ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 10:25 PM

The memory is 128MB. Could there be too much stuff (props, characters, etc) in my Poser program for things to go?

Gorodin ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 10:43 PM

I had a similar problem. It was all memory. Try reducing the size of the maps in an image editor. Esp. the bump maps.

Spit ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 10:44 PM

128 is kind of low for the dragon and all its maps. The texture and bump maps alone could use all of it. Of course it should then go to virtual memory and work but be slower. What you could do is save off your original dragon maps to a safe place. Then reduce the size of copies of them. Even reducing them to half their size would probably still be okay. The dragon texture and bump are both over 4000 pixels wide.

Little Red ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 10:45 PM

Great idea! How much did you reduce them?

Spit ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 1:54 AM

I'm going 50%. Be sure you save the originals at their original size...they will come in handy if you plan to do any high res rendering for print.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 3:13 AM

Strange a few have problems with the dragon. I finally got it one day before deadline, installed it right away, not a problem. I only have 128 mem. I then tried it with 2 vics with high res tex, still works fine just a little slower to render. Tashar 59

Kosmokrat ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 7:25 AM

The Dragon problems some people are experiencing have less to do with the memory installed in your PC or Mac, but more with the way this memory is handled by Poser and your OS. One example: On my PC (Athlon XP 1800+, 512 MB DDR-Ram, W98SE), Poser locks up if I try to render the dragon with textures, while in Cinema on the same PC, I can render two of them with a landscape consisting of several hundredthousands of polygons within only little more than a minute. As with the textures - resizing them would be the only solution. Allthough they are Jpegs, the compression only works when they are stored on any media, once loaded, they are decompressed to full size (i.e. 4000*4000 pixel will mean 16000000 * 24 bits or 45,77 MB in RAM).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.