Fri, Sep 20, 1:43 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: Poser 5 updater status

kupa ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 8:07 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 1:43 AM

Last week we announced that a patch would be made available on the 30th of September to fix a variety of bugs and content issues in Poser 5. Unfortunately, due to some development issues we need to postpone this patch until this Thursday, October 3rd. The extra three days will enable us to incorporate a few last critical fixes and conduct further tests of the updater.

For reference, we have prepared a list of the fixes which will be incorporated in this upcoming Poser 5 service release. Here is the inventory of updates:

On behalf of Curious Labs, I apologize for the delay and thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Steve Cooper
Curious Labs

APPLICATION ISSUES ADDRESSED BY POSER 5 SR-1

This section lists the known issues addressed by installing Poser 5 SR-1.

POSE Room

• Parameter dials auto-scroll when dragging/rearranging parameter dials.
  • Added UNDO functionality when adjusting Parameter dials (either directly or by entering values).
  • Other minor UI enhancements to the Parameters palette.
  • The Parameters/Properties palette no longer appears when canceling FILE>OPEN or FILE>SAVE functions.
  • Fixed a problem where the Graph and Animation palette improperly switched focus when both windows are open.
  • Text in the Graph palette no longer appears truncated.
  • Previously, creating new props could create improper scale channels. This issue has been fixed.
  • The Hidden Line display mode no longer crashes when displaying polygons with more than 32 vertices.
  • The Hidden Line display mode no longer crashes when moving the camera.
  • The ground plane no longer turns off unexpectedly when moving cameras.
  • Moving a camera following a render now correctly redraws the Document window.
  • The Library palette does not update its display when first launching Poser 5. This speeds up launch by several seconds.
  • Changes to Library folders are now detected, with Library palette pop-up menus refreshing "on the fly" as necessary.
  • Clicking a Library category palette no longer inadvertently selects an item "underneath" the category listing.
  • Some overlapping windows may not refresh correctly. This has been fixed.
  • Switching figures with the Properties palette open generated a message that the figure name was already being used and changed the figure name to BODY 1. This no longer occurs.
  • Clicking a slider groove in a scrollbar now performs a page up/page down function instead of jumping to a totally new location.
  • The Walk Designer now compensates more accurately for differences in figures' zero pose states.
  • The Walk Designer has been enhanced for faster launch when opened.
  • The Direct Manipulation tool displays correctly when using orthogonal Camera views (Left, Right, Top, Bottom, Front, Rear)
  • The Direct Manipulation tool axis display in the Document window has been enhanced for greater usability.
  • Collision Detection is now enabled when adjusting Parameter dials.
  • Poser's real world units have been re-scaled for greater accuracy by changing the scaling factor to 8 from 8.6.
  • The default figure when launching Poser 5 is now correctly designated as Figure 1.
  • Making a wind force field invisible now hides the lines showing its area of influence.
  • The FIND FILES dialog no long appears behind other UI elements.
  • BVH import no longer no longer causes issues with the feet.
  • Attempting to locate a texture no longer causes repeated identical dialog boxes to appear.

MATERIAL Room

• Addressed potential redrawing issues when connecting shader nodes.
  • Added UNDO functionality when entering node values.
  • Cutting and pasting shader nodes now functions correctly.

FACE Room

• Reduced memory footprint when working in the Face room.
  • When using the photo lineup feature to create custom heads, any errors in the lineup process will now appear as lines.
  • Selecting FILE>NEW resets the Face room.
  • Added UNDO functionality when adjusting Face room parameter dials or entering values directly.
  • Enhanced texture processing when changing a head from male to female.
  • Spawning a morph target now correctly includes the eyes.
  • Extended use of the Face Shaping tool no longer causes a partial switch to the Pose room and a crash.
  • Applying a head to a Poser 5 figure, saving, and re-entering the Face room no longer causes the figure type warning dialog to appear.
  • Moving the camera no longer expands collapsed MorphPutty morphs.

HAIR Room

• Resized dial backgrounds for greater usability.
  • Scaling a hair object's parent prop now functions correctly.
  • Dynamic hair animations now play correctly when the Document window is set to FAST tracking.
  • Fixed dynamic hair redraw errors that occurred after clearing dynamics.
  • Dynamic hair rendered as sequenced images correctly populates hair and shadows in the first frame.
  • Using parameter dials or moving body parts on a figure with dynamic hair in BOX and FAST tracking modes no longer causes the hair to fly off the figure.

CLOTH Room

• Resized dial backgrounds for greater usability.
  • The Clothify dialog has been enhanced for greater usability.
  • If an animation is longer than a cloth simulation, the cloth will remain in the position it was in at the last frame of the simulation. This corrects an issue where the cloth object snapped back to its pre-simulation state.
  • Clicking the CANCEL button no longer selects the item underneath the button.
  • Cloth self-collision now functions properly.

SETUP Room

• An error sometimes occurred where the Room tab did not update correctly when exiting the Setup room. This issue has been addressed.
  • Selecting the SETUP room tab with no figure or prop selected properly accesses the Setup room.
  • Fixed an issue where changing a body part's name to be the same as another part caused an infinitely looping dialog.

CONTENT Room

• Curious Labs continues to make progress on readying Content Paradise for launch as soon as possible. Please check the Content room regularly for updates!

Rendering/Miscellaneous

• The RENDER TO NEW WINDOW function now works correctly. The new render window now appears on top of other UI elements.
  • When doing multiple renders to new windows, the new windows no longer contain artifacts from previous renders.
  • Fixed an issue where exporting image files inserted an inverted alpha channel.
  • Fixed 2D motion blur when exporting image and movie files.
  • The in-room HTML Help window closes when the current Poser document (scene) is closed.
  • The range of motion limits on the Poser 5 figures' right shins caused problems when Inverse Kinematics (IK) was enabled. This no longer occurs.
  • The Library palette's last category/subcategory is now preserved when switching rooms.
  • Several issues with conforming (figure-based) clothing have been addressed.
  • Rendering using the Poser 4 renderer no longer causes a crash when a walk path is present.
  • Rendering using the Poser 4 renderer no longer crashes when multiple pane views are enabled.
  • Added numerous minor enhancements when exporting Viewpoint files to reduce file size.
  • Modal dialogs have been modified to be truly modal.
  • Poser 5 now supports mouse wheels when scrolling.
  • Poser 5 now ignores clicking in the Parameter palette and other locations while rendering.
  • FIxed a crash when the ground and/or figure was made invisible using the Hierarchy Editor prior to rendering.
    Fixed potential crashes when reactivating Poser from the background during a render.
  • The status bar updates more regularly when rendering using the Poser 4 renderer.
  • Content names with ampersands (&) no longer caused "Badly formed" XML errors.
  • Ray-traced shadows have been improved.
  • Ray-traced reflection and refraction have been improved.
  • There is a new option in both the RENDER TO NEW WINDOW and MOVIE settings: Constrain Aspect Ratio. When enabled, this function allows you to resize one value (height or width) and have Poser automatically calculate the other value. This option remains enabled when toggling between the Poser 4/FireFly rendering engines.
  • Make Movie settings are no longer tied to the Document window size.
  • The RENDER TO NEW WINDOW settings are no longer tied to the Document window.
  • Erroneous "Insufficient disk space to render current image" error messages fixed.
  • Fixed figure face morphs to have names that properly match DAZ Mimic output for greater compatibility with Mimic.
  • Fixed a shutter open/shutter close issue to make these values valid across all animation frames when using the FireFly renderer.
  • Motion Blur is now properly displayed in single-frame renderings.
  • The Sketch Designer Preset window appears in front of the Sketch Designer window, and the CANCEL and OK buttons are active.

CONTENT FIXES/ENHANCEMENTS

Poser 5 Service Release 1 contains the following content fixes and enhancements:

• Full body morphs are now enabled on all iterations of the Poser 5 Nude Female (Judy) figure.
  • Added Left Collar morphs to enable full body morphs on all iterations of the Poser 5 Male (Don) figures.
  • Added a new "Ear Morph parameter dial group with morph targets to all iterations of the Poser 5 Male (Don) figures.
  • Added X,Y, and Z Translate channels for eye geometry in the Poser 5 Nude Female (Judy) figures and in the Poser 5 Child (Will/Penny) figures.
  • The Preview material color is now white for all figures and attached hair props.
  • The Walk Designer now includes a set of updated files for improved performance.
  • Conforming clothing functions properly after a render.
  • The "Penny Casual" figure's inner elbows have been fixed.
  • When Inverse Kinematics (IK) is disabled, rotating the figure 180 degrees no longer "breaks" conformed clothing.
  • The ankle geometry on the Poser 5 figures no longer deforms when the USE LIMITS option is enabled.

Jcleaver ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 8:15 PM

Thank you for the update, and for the list of fixes. Take all the time needed to do it right. I'd rather it be late and fixed, than on-time and broken.

ronmolina ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 8:17 PM

Wow thats a lot. Thanks! I can wait no hurry here. Ron

dialyn ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 8:18 PM

Does this mean we will no longer get the left forearm panel? I agree, I'd rather have the patches later rather than sooner if it means correcting Poser 5 so that it works more effectively. I just hope your server is going to be able to handle all the downloads when it does become available.

redon634 ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 8:20 PM

Thanks for the update - we won't all be clogging up the CL website now (until Thursday anyway!). It's good to see all that's being fixed.

Kagato98 ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 8:24 PM

Thanks for the update Kupa :) .

quesswho ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 8:25 PM

Thanks for the news on the updater. I hope you don't mind that I also posted this news at www.big-i.com in the Poser forum.
Thanks for all the work on a wonderful program
Marge

dcasey0284 ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 8:26 PM

Thanks, kupa. Yes, take all the time you need and thanks for the list of fixes.

STORM3 ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 8:28 PM

So, when did you manage to sleep? ;0) Congrats, looks like lots of hard work. Take the time to get it right and address all the issues! Best Wishes STORM

kupa ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 8:28 PM

Marge, Thank you for cross posting this thread. Steve Cooper

CyberStretch ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 9:03 PM

I guess this solves the riddle on how many "bugs" were user error. :0) Thanks for the info! It seems to be quite the comprehensive fix.

gryffnn ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 9:14 PM

Yaaayyy - auto scroll for dragging parameter dials! Thanks for the undo and all the other good stuff, too.

Mason ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 9:23 PM

http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12356&Form.ShowMessage=891170 I'm sure its an easy fix. It definitly looks like scene saving is writing two lines in the doc section. The CUSTOMRENDER displayMode line is cause rerendering of scenes. I haven't tried just forcing it to normal with changing the display mode which I'm sure would work but it fires off a render as soon as the scene loads. Thanks

Dale B ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 9:26 PM

Wow. That is some list of fixes and enabled functions. Thanks to -all- the CL folks who apparently haven't been sunning themselves on the beach for awhile. Scroll wheel will be nice, methinks....

thebert ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 9:32 PM

Thanks for update and please take your time I'll wait for a working SR-1. Thanks and sent more food, water and coffee thebert

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 9:40 PM

Seconding the sentiment: Thanks, and slower is better than sloppy. Especially good that the collision detection will now work with parameter dials... C-D was the main reason I looked forward to P5. Sounds like a lot of these issues came from one basic problem with window focus.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Spit ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 10:03 PM

Scroll wheel support! I just died and went to Heaven and I don't even have Poser 5 yet! LOL

Kiera ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 10:16 PM

Wonderful patch. I admit I haven't had any problems with many of these items, but I am happy to hear about the improved raytracing. (PS- for windows XP users, many of these interface problems are non-issues if you turn off the XP interface folderol by right clicking on your poser shortcut and disabling the XP stuff under the compatibility tab. I do this for all my big fat 3D applications, including Bryce.) Cheers, Kiera

Crescent ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 10:42 PM

I've waited this long for Problem child 5 to work, I can wait a few more days. Thanks for the update. I guess I can play with the cow skulls until then. ;-)

quixote ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 11:01 PM

What ? still no room service. I ordered that scotch 10 days ago? Thanks for the list. It takes a while to digest all that data. There are things in there that I've never encountered. Makes you wonder... Q

Un coup de dés jamais n'abolira le hazard
S Mallarmé

EricofSD ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 11:06 PM

I can wait even longer than Thursday for quality stuff like you are doing. The more the merrier. ********************************** Applying a head to a Poser 5 figure, saving, and re-entering the Face room no longer causes the figure type warning dialog to appear. .......Does this mean the head will not break away from the body after reopening the pz3 a few days later? That's probably the biggest fix that I need in the whole bunch there. Thanks.

PabloS ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 11:24 PM

Thanks Kupa and the CL crew for the hard work.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 11:36 PM

I'm tempted to launch Poser 5 right now, just to see if I can duplicate all the bugs in that list. I have other things to do, however, so I'll accept your word that they exist.

.... rotating the figure 180 degrees no longer "breaks" conformed clothing.

You fixed the 180-degree bug with conforming clothes? Neat!

Hidden Line display mode no longer crashes when displaying polygons with more than 32 vertices.

32-sided polygons? Where?

Poser's real world units have been re-scaled for greater accuracy ....

Poor geep. He'll have to recalibrate his Poser yardstick all over again.

I'd like some clarification on how ray-traced reflection has been improved. Do reflections now reflect transmapped items properly? Or is that reserved for a future update.

-Waldo- ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 12:46 AM

Thank you for the update, take time all you need rather than sooner with bad patch. In the face room, it has some problem with neck and the amount of magnet to pull/punch in upon face. After I sculptured a face, the neck did not fit in collar right. Grouping on neck to stop it from moving when sculpturing would be nice. Or highlight areas on face for us to know where and amount of area we can magnetize it when moving the polygons to avoid moving unwanted area. I spent tremendous of my time sculturing faces and necks to fit in collars. I often lost my precious faces when I had to fix the neck. What about volumetric for spotlight? Options for spotlight in material room is very limited. Light and volumetric are very important in everything especially art because it bring attention. Without volumeteric, all we could see in poser was rendered picture with light on objects as there is no air/dust/fog like the real spotlight in theatre. Waldoo

CrystalDragon ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 12:55 AM

Thanks for the update Kupa! >>Poor geep. He'll have to recalibrate his Poser yardstick all over again. How many times will that be now, LD? ^__^;; ~DM

soulhuntre ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 12:57 AM

Attached Link: http://www.hyper-3d.com/

Outstanding! That's a really impressive list Steve, thanks for keeping us informed and thanks for getting it out so soon.

praxis22 ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 1:52 AM

One question... How big is the download?

Kelderek ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 2:05 AM

And here we all thought that the CL crowd were exhausted after the Poser 5 launch... They just kicked in another gear and managed to get together a comprehensive update in just a few weeks. Great work, kudos to you all :-)

c1rcle ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 2:11 AM

Wow what a list, at least we know the aliens didn't get you :) Even though I'm not having any major problems with Poser5 it'll be good to have wheel support at last, what's next for SR2? Sorry had to ask. Rob

leather-guy ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 4:04 AM

Thanks Kupa

Schlabber ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 4:24 AM

hmmm - thx for the info Kupa :o) I'm unsure if it also included in this list (you might call it different or I only overread it) - What about this left-forearm-properties that pop-up sometimes ?? For myself they appear sometimes when I try to apply a Michael-pose to Don and when I try to mirror right to left properties for Don.

Spanki ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 4:35 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=879720

Thanks for the list, Kupa! My primary question is the same as Little Dragon's above... do you know if the ray-traced reflections improvement includes a fix for trans-mapped items (more specifically, items with semi-transparent materials) ? See the attatched link for an explanation of the bug. Thanks, - Keith

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

VAIRESH ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 6:53 AM

"- Poser 5 now supports mouse wheels when scrolling." Oh my Gawddess.....finally. This is simple I know but I so wanted this....does happy dance ;-)

Disciple3d ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 8:37 AM

I guess the 512 X 512 texture export isn't going to be improved to a usable saize in this patch release. Are there plans to make the adjustable in the future?

If you want to up your content game, get schooled to be a pro with Sixus1 Mentoring today!

gstorme ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 9:08 AM

Thanks for releasing a great product.
I received my (still unpatched) version yesterday and have been playing with it ever since (ahum, well I also slept for 5 hours in between).
I like what you did with the cloth. It actually solves a lot of gravity problems I had earlier, both for hair and clothes.
The hair room is great too but (oh dear, whining! :) dark hair figures look kind of bald. Is there a way to get more "coverage"?
BTW I also discovered that cloth is only present on 1 side (the inside of skirts is invisible). I can solve this by exporting the cloth as obj and import it with normals flipped.
Although the product has problems ( I have to reboot every 4 hours to free memory) the possibilities have increased and that is why I applaud to your achievement:
Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap
Bis bis bis !!!
;-D

-Waldo- ( ) posted Tue, 01 October 2002 at 9:45 AM

Import capabilities for face room is essential to map other faces (animals, alien, and home made figures) Waldoo

xvcoffee ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2002 at 2:50 AM

This might be an opportune time to enquire into the status of a MAC version of Poser 5. Is it in pieces on the floor, or is it nearly complete except for that code thingie? ( or... A dastardly combination of BOTH, Chief, I think we should use the CONE OF SILENCE!!!! Chief?!... Chief?!... Please note the CONE OF SILENCE used here is a reference to GET SMART the 1960s TV series and NOT meant to imply anything re Curious Labs.)

Jazzmin ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2002 at 1:26 PM

Vive Bene.  Spesso L'Amore.  Di Risata Molto.
Live Well.  Love Often.  Laugh Much.

Artist3D ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2002 at 3:40 PM

Wow the updater works great!

quesswho ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2002 at 3:46 PM

what! where is it?

pdxjims ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2002 at 3:48 PM

Ditto! What updater? Where?

Jazzmin ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2002 at 5:27 PM

Well, I don't know about you guesswho and pdxjims but I'm checking CL website right now :D

quesswho ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2002 at 6:24 PM

I just got it in all its 47.1 mb glory. Now I am off to install it. Marge

Jazzmin ( ) posted Thu, 03 October 2002 at 8:05 PM

Awww mannn... I got the fatal Exception C Error :C This stinks, it was running fine before the update... I should have left well enough alone. I wrote to CL, hopefully they can get back to me fairly quick :D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.