Fri, Sep 20, 10:04 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 7:29 pm)

Subject: Q: mason's combine tutorial with rds/carrara

mbaucco ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2000 at 8:13 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:48 PM

Hello, Has anyone done Mason's combine figures tutorial using RayDream or Carrara? If so, what import/export settings do you use on the .OBJ files to get them to come out right? When I open my .OBJ files in WordPad, I don't see any usemtl statements, and my people come out with very strange skin colors and holes in the meshes that aren't really there. This online comic idea of mine seems farther and farther away... Thanks, Matt Baucco

mbaucco ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2000 at 10:51 AM

Well, I fixed the textures, though there is a white line or seam on the guy, and the vest is still transparent, though it renders solid. My only big problem now is that the vest is lumpy where the groups meet at the chest<->abdomen and abdomen<-> hip. If someone could advise me on how I might fix this, I would be very grateful. Thanks again, Matt Baucco

Cage ( ) posted Fri, 24 March 2000 at 7:20 PM

I've been using Compose with Mason's tutorial, with great success. Whenever he says to work in 3DS MAX, sustitute a process of lining up your .OBJ files in Poser, then combining them in Compose. I've been doing this for months without any problems. Regarding the problems you are citing, though, an image might be useful. Also, I think there is a string in the character creators forum about creating a figure mesh using RDS. Their answer to your invisible vest seems to be that the normals are reversed, but I don't remember the remainder of the string.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

mbaucco ( ) posted Mon, 27 March 2000 at 7:54 AM

Hello, I tried your suggestion and made my figure in poser, then exported it as an obj and set it up in Compose, renaming the parts and merging the eyes and head, then re-exporting to OBJ. This fixed all my previous problems, but now my poor fellow's extremities (fingers and legs) are all stretched like taffy. I checked the storageOffset to make sure they were all 000 like the tutorial says, but that didn't help, so I went through the OBJ file and CR2 with a text editor. Still no luck. Has this ever happened to anyoneelse, and if so, can anyone help my poor ignorant self towards a solution? Thanks for all your patience, Matt Baucco

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 27 March 2000 at 7:05 PM

Pull the Geometries .obj that you've constructed into Poser. Is the problem reflected in the .obj? Did you change the hands in the .obj, yet retain the old joint parameter settings in the .cr2? I've gotten some odd effects with Mason's technique, but they have been mainly related to IK chains, which wouldn't explain the fingers.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

mbaucco ( ) posted Tue, 28 March 2000 at 7:50 AM

nope, the figure looks great until I try to pose him, then his fingers and legs stretch out like taffy. I can post an image if you like. Thanks, Matt Baucco

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 28 March 2000 at 7:13 PM

An image might help. It sounds like it might be a problem with the joint parameters. I'm not sure, offhand, what else might explain it. There has been some talk of a "taffy effect", but the fix for that is the zeroing of the storage offsets, which you've tried. How have you changed the .obj? What was the base .obj, and what .cr2 are you using with the new combined .obj?

mbaucco ( ) posted Wed, 29 March 2000 at 7:37 AM

Hello, I will post an image tomorrow, I forgot to bring the file with me to work. I am using the p4 nude male and the men's vest (blmvest.obj). I based the cr2 off a copy of the p4 nude man cr2 and then edited it in the cr2 editor. I didn't change anything in the object except combining the two figures into one. Thanks Again, Matt Baucco

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.