Sat, Sep 21, 4:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Writers

Welcome to the Writers Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Wolfenshire

Writers F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 3:18 am)

Writers Gallery

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass." ---Anton Chekhov

Subject: Writers' Forum Banner Contest

Crescent ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2002 at 9:11 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:39 PM

Hopefully you guys aren't getting sick of contests, yet!

We need a banner for the forum.

Rules:

1. Image size: up to 200 pixels wide x 150 pixels long, 10kb maximum. (It will be to the left of the announcements.)

2. It should suggest writing, literature, etc. in some way. (Tell Vicki to put down that sword and leave that temple immediately!) ;-)

3. Nothing against TOS. (Yes, the obligatory warning, just like the hair dryers that say, "Do not put in water.")

This image does not need to tie into the design for the Back Room. This will be seen on each page of the Forum itself.

Submit as many ideas as you want. Shall we say 2 weeks for this one? (It will give time for the Back Room design contest, and may give ideas from the results of that contest.)

You guys get to vote on the banner. If we get a tie (or near tie), we can swap the winners in and out on occasion.

Don't worry, there will be plenty more writing contests coming up as well.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2002 at 10:11 PM

Ahhh, THIS I can understand better. Not DO better, but undertand better. Message671414.jpg

tresamie ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2002 at 10:17 PM

Where do we send entries?

Fractals will always amaze me!

Crescent ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2002 at 10:17 PM

Post them here in this thread.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 27 September 2002 at 10:27 PM

Actually, I'm kinda trying to figure out the difference between "wide" and "long". My Photoshop blew up when I smacked it. (Someone send a digital slap my way...QUICK!)

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2002 at 12:27 AM

file_25243.jpg

OK, OK, (in my best Joe Pesci voice...) I know I won't win, BUT I can be the first with my tongue-in-cheek submittal...LOL. Just to get the ball rolling. The devil made me do it! Couldn't resist. Resistance was futile !

tjames ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2002 at 7:50 AM

Not bad, but something makes me want to reply, "Go fish !" perhaps something in the line of (in my best Paul Harvey voice) "And that's the rest of the story."

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2002 at 10:07 AM

Wasn't really meant to be an entry anyway...just having some fun. Message671414.jpg

dialyn ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2002 at 10:47 AM

Well, I like it. Besides it's winning so far. ;) Milk, anyone?

Crescent ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2002 at 10:50 AM

I'd suggest making the text stand out a bit more, but otherwise I think it's cute.

tjames ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2002 at 11:05 AM

How do you backroom exactly? I copied down the direct address into my notes, but sending stuff there? My inet skills Are lacking still Do you have a pill?

dialyn ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2002 at 11:19 AM

Attached Link: Backroom Contest

The details to the backroom contest are in the other thread: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12436&Form.ShowMessage=887608&Reply=888176#6 It may be wise not to mix the banner and backroom submittals for the time being. Just a suggestion.

Crescent ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2002 at 3:46 PM

For articles, post them in a new thread or e-mail them to me. For the Back Door design, either post a screen shot of the design in the back room contest thread or e-mail me. If you need my address, just IM me.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2002 at 6:22 PM

file_25244.jpg

Well, this is not anything great. But at least THIS time it's not just for fun...hehe. Not to "drum" up votes...just explaining the reason for such a simple design (there was thought...hehe): People read from left to right (excepting a few cultures). So they naturally start from top left...and hopefully are saying to themselves, "What...?" But if they continue, they find themselves in the lower right. Where the word, "words", appears. Then, they "get it". Hopefully, the word, "create", comes last because it's kind of hidden in the background. Because R'City is such an international forum, it only seemed fair to represent as many languages as possible for me to translate. It's probably too simplistic and not "artsy" enough. But there WAS thought behind it...grin. Anyway, this is NOT a tongue-in-cheek submission. (Off to supper!)

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sat, 28 September 2002 at 6:23 PM

Darn! Tried to match the default R'City color and MISSED! Don'tcha hate that?

tresamie ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 3:08 PM

file_25246.jpg

The quill is fashioned from one of my fractals. The book is handmade, along with the spilled ink.Hope you like it. tres

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 6:59 PM

Well, not THAT sucks. I was on the throne this mornging thinking I should do another one with a quill this time. What's that saying? Snooze and lose?

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Mon, 30 September 2002 at 7:01 PM

Oops, not = now.

tresamie ( ) posted Sat, 05 October 2002 at 7:45 PM

What happened to the cool 'Free the Words' entry???

Crasher ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 8:50 AM

file_25247.jpg

Here's my little entry.

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 8:53 AM

Crasher, that's really beautiful. Hard choices to make. They are all excellent.

Crasher ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 8:55 AM

Glad you like it. Thanks. =) Wow, that was a quick response too, I -just- put that up there. LoL

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 8:59 AM

I'm sick at home and I happened to be cruising the forums while I was feeling sorry for myself. I have to say, I'm a sucker for the tones and shadows you used....you did a lot in that small space (which defeat me, by the way). Imagination is the key....love that! But, as I say, I'd hate to be making the choice at this point. Nice to have too many good choices instead of not enough. :)

Crasher ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 9:05 AM

Yeah, dark tones and shadows are my favorite. Love the gothic tones, and when I write, I tend to write the darker things, as well. Annnnd, I figured the logo needed something to catch the eye, hence the catch phrase.

Crasher ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 9:07 AM

By the way, hope you feel better. I'm sick at home too. Just saw the topic in the forum and figured I'd do a little something and enter, since.. I love my Photoshop. ;)

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 9:15 AM

I'm a Paint Shop Pro fanatic myself, but I think it amounts to the same thing. I wish being sick made me as creative as it did you. :) I like Gothics and the feel of film noire. Always watch the shadows for lurkers there. Great stuff. Looking forward to more postings from you, I hope.

Crasher ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 9:21 AM

I'm sure you'll see more than plenty by the time I'm done. =) This is actually the first time I've perused this forum.

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 9:25 AM

Great to have you! We've been having different challenges running, prose and poetry, and, if none of them suit you, feel free to set up one of your own. :) And a mix of graphics and prose/poetry is welcome here....it's a supportive group. I think you'll have fun here.

Crasher ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 9:41 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=250873&Start=13&Sectionid=0&Form.Search=Crash

My husband and I work together on some things. In my gallery, there are some works there. I did the images, he did the writing. I write also, but graphics and imagery are my forte, while writing is his. But if you're interested in looking, here is the link to the first in the Lucidity series, a series we're working on together. The other two parts are also in my gallery. I did the imagery, and Ian (SpectreOfDesire) has done the writing.

dialyn ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 9:55 AM

I have a real interest in people who combine graphics with their stories/poetry...guess that should be a new thread since we are going off topic on this one. I haven't done it myself, though I did a series of three graphics called "The Legend of Goldman" that became a series (though created backwards) which no one much viewed but was my try at doing a series that told a story without words. If you look around the forum, you'll find someone who is creating art to a song, and the result is very interesting indeed...a really wonderful stone dragon has made an appearance and the lights and shadows in the graphic (done in Vue) are gorgeous. The only problem I have is that the Renderosity defaults make large blocks of text hard for me to read (I keep whining about this, I guess I should stop). I have mixed feelings because not every writer can or wants to be a graphic artist and not every story needs to be illustrated, but I find the combination irresitably attractive. And, clearly, when two creative minds are at work on the same project, it strengthens the idea. Thank you for the link. Beautifully done.

Crasher ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 10:04 AM

You're welcome. =)

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 6:23 PM

"Hmmm...", Chuck rubs his chin. "That darn graphic looks TOO good!" A quick scroll toward the top of the thread for a comparison with his own entry reveals what he already knows to be the truth--his submission pales in design. A hastily-thought-up idea to buy votes for his forum entry is discarded almost immediately. "Too expensive!", he figures. "There must be something wrong with it!", he mutters as his evil brain sets in motion. "No misspelled words. No plagerism. Hmmm..." Chuck's devious brain engages overdrive. Almost feverishly he right-clicks the graphic and scans the properties. "Ah-HA! It's too big!" he shouts out, "It's over 10K and has to be disqualified!" Prudence, though, intervenes as he trails back up the thread to check HIS graphic size. "Oops!" In his best Gilda Radner voice he squeaks, "Never mind."

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 6:24 PM

Just having some fun, Crasher! Great entry! Message671422.jpg

Crasher ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 7:54 PM

LoL! That was too funny. I got a nice little laugh there, and your entry does not pale in design. It's very good.;) Besides, if it's too big, I'll just resize! g

SpectreOfDesire ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 7:56 PM

I'm glad I didn't enter, huh hunny? If my graphics would be -that- scrutinized. ;)

Crasher ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 7:57 PM

Shoot, I'd hang you by your nails. Just.. because I can. Go write something! grins and hugs

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Tue, 08 October 2002 at 8:20 PM

Oooh, husband and wife spat, right here in River City...errr, R'City. Message671414.jpg

tjames ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 12:41 PM

file_25248.jpg

Well what do you expect I work on a printing press.

tjames ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 6:37 PM

#32 Thanks

Crescent ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2002 at 10:49 AM

Now that the Back Room has been decided, let's vote on the Forum Banner. We have some really nice ones, and those that aren't picked will be put on a page in the Back Room so everyone can see them. If you want to vote privately, just IM me. Cheers!

SndCastie ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2002 at 3:34 PM

Do we post our votes here if so I like Crushers in response#22 I think this is a great design.

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

tresamie ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2002 at 8:15 PM

Ok, so we have 2 from Chuck(#6 & 14), one from me(#16), one from Crasher(#22) and one from tjames(#40)? Do I have that right? I like them all, but since i have to vote for only one, I will vote for #16.

dialyn ( ) posted Sat, 19 October 2002 at 8:32 PM

Because I liked them all so much, I voted by sending Crescent an IM. I do think we could be proud to have any of the designs as our banner. Good work everybody!!

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2002 at 7:19 AM

I think my vote was revealed above: Crasher's 22.

jgeorge ( ) posted Sun, 20 October 2002 at 5:45 PM

I like all of them, but since one must make a choice... then the first by ChuckEvans (#6)...

SpectreOfDesire ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 2:28 PM

I like all the choices, so it's a tough decision. But I think it comes down to Crasher(#22) So, there's my vote.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Mon, 21 October 2002 at 4:28 PM

Oh, Spectre, like THAT'S a fair vote.....LOL (JK).

mysteri ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2002 at 12:48 PM

Score one more for Chuck Evans (#14). Simple, elegant, clear.

Crasher's takes a close second. The left side text background seems a bit too, hmmm ... crowded, cluttered?

Crescent ( ) posted Mon, 28 October 2002 at 11:26 PM

I'll also put up a page with the other banner designs in The Library. (In my copious free time. Ha! Ha! Ha!) ;-)

Thanks, everyone, for participating and making this your forum!

Crasher ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2002 at 2:24 AM

Heyyy, cool. Thanks guys. :D

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Tue, 29 October 2002 at 5:35 AM

It looks great up there! Congrats Crashed One !

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.