Tue, Sep 24, 2:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 2:15 pm)

Subject: OT: Anyone know of a polygon reducer freeware?

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 1:11 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 2:17 PM

I need to reduce the vertice/polygon count on some models I'm making for the free stuff. (Unicorn horns) and it aint easy trying to reduce the poly count. Anyone know of a freeware I can find to do that? (other than metasequoia)

CyberStretch ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 1:18 AM

Attached Link: Search: 3d model polygon reduction freeware

Just did a Google Search (Ref the link) and noticed the first few reference "VIZup". Perhaps you can go through the results and see if something catches your eye?

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 1:23 AM

I got vizup earlier this evening off google but didn't load it cuz I thought it was for vrml only. Ok, let me try. Thanks.

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 2:10 AM

ok, it works, but lots of monkey motion. .fac to .obj to .wrl then reduce then back to .obj. I can go from .fac to .wrl on the next set, so that will cut out one step. Now, the unicorn horn at 10% is 1600 polys. Looks a bit rough. At 20% its 3200 polys and looks better. Any idea on how many polys should be in a unicorn horn?

timoteo1 ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 2:20 AM

I think Vicky and Mike are right around 30,000 polys, so at 3200 your using 10% ... just for reference. I'd think of the horn as being much like part of the face (the nose maybe) on Mike or Vic. Hope that's a useful comparison. Also, please post back if you find any other software out there (free or otherwise) ... I need to reduce some stuff too. Thanks! -Tim

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 3:11 AM

Yeah, I'm comparing. I got one of the horns down to 818 polys and it still looked ok, especially with texture. Down around 300 polys or lower it sux. But for some reason the rest of the horns have errors on wrl format so I must have some kind of problem in the basic obj model. Its late and I think I have to start over in how the horn is made. Might have twisted the vertices too much in the others. Gawd, what a hassle. Metasequoia will reduce, but I'm not using that. 3dexploration converts between formats pretty well. That vrml one posted above seems to be the best reduction tool if you don't mind converting file formats. I was able to go from 1.4m to 30k on file size.

godless_norseman ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 3:15 AM

wich modeling prog. you use? maybe someone else knows better export options for this prog.

PhilC ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 3:23 AM

You will get much better results by aiming to model at a lower polygon count in the first place. If you are using nurbs look through your program's preferences to see where the resolution is set. If you are lofting (sweeping, extruding) a cylinder look at the number of vertices in each ring.

philc_agatha_white_on_black.jpg

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 09 October 2002 at 11:29 PM

Phil, I agree, but in Amorphium Pro that has the fx tools, I don't think there's any way to reduce poly count.

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Thu, 10 October 2002 at 9:57 AM

Might take a look at XFrog's site. They have a polygon reducer program (not free). I think there was a demo available.

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.