Thu, Oct 10, 4:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 07 10:52 pm)

Subject: Seeking wisdom from the mountain top...

LonRanger ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 3:32 AM · edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 4:22 PM

Hi, I am a new Vue 4 owner (only had Bryce before) and am having some problems. (1) When I installed Mover 4, Vue 4 crashed consistently after being open for a minute or two (if not sooner) so I reinstalled Vue 4 and have not yet reinstalled Mover 4. Without Mover 4, Vue (generally) works fine. (2) When I try to render an animation, I am told that there is either not enough disk space for the animation or the file is opened in another application - neither of which is true. I have about 20 GB on my hard drive and no other application is open except Vue 4. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 4:19 AM

First you have to go back to e-on's site and download the updates for Vue, it is 4.1 now. This will help you. Sharen

LonRanger ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 12:40 PM

Thanks, Sharen. I'll do that. Do you believe this is the answer to both of these problems? LR

LonRanger ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 3:39 PM

Hey, I installed the Vue 4.1 update and reinstalled Mover 4 and the crash problem is gone. But the other problem persists. When I try to render an animation, I still get the same message: -- When I try to render an animation, I am told that there is either not enough disk space for the animation or the file is opened in another application - neither of which is true. I have about 20 GB on my hard drive and no other application is open except Vue 4. LR

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 3:49 PM

XP?

LonRanger ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 3:56 PM

No, Windows 2000. Also (in case it's important) I have a 1.4 GB Athlon processor and 750 MB of RAM.

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 4:01 PM

There is a post here called Hate Vue, search for it and read the very last post. Maybe that's your problem. I don't know.

LonRanger ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 6:10 PM

Well...there certainly were a lot of words and opinions in that string, but no real concensus on anything (from what I could make out) and Aleksander never got back to the string with any thing positive regarding the suggestions made. I have a great, fast, stable, roomy system and I should be able to render animation on it. I've never had any problems with Bryce 4. I have a number of intense programs (Bryce 4, After Effects 5.5, Premiere 6 w/Matrox RT2500, Flash MX, etc.) and there is no problem rendering animation or video on any of them. Any other thoughts, anyone? I really want this program to work because rendering animation is why I bought it. Besides this problem, it looks like a great program. Oh, BTW - my C drive is a bit low on space, but Vue 4 is not on my C drive and the drive I am rendering to is not my C drive.

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 7:56 PM

Look you never read my reply. I said read the very LAST post. Forget the rest it different operating system. It's all I can suggest if that don't work then whatever. How low on space? That's never good.

LonRanger ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 8:55 PM

ooops. sorry, dude. missed that. OK - I went to the last post. It suggests that the problem may be with a corrupt file (Is that the one you mean?) I don't think that is my problem. I am not able to do ANY rendering for animation in Vue. It doesn't matter what the scene or animation is. To answer your question: My C drive total size is 9.38 GB and I have 1.86 GB free space. This is FAT 32 and has my OS on it (Win2k). I also have an F drive that I use for video capture (this is the one I was trying to render my animation to). It is a 60 GB drive with 33.5 GB free space. This is NTFS. Also, I have another drive (G drive) which was partitioned off my C drive with Partition Magic. This drive is where Vue 4 is. It has a total size of 9.74 GB and has 4.25 GB free space. Thanks for bearing with me on this. I appreciate it.

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 9:32 PM

Damn somebody added a post. Ok the Second last post but it don't matter any more cause I did the cut and paste. This Post: go to control panel>system properties>advanced tab>settings>set to custom: remove all but the smooth edges of screen fonts. then hit ok. stay on the advanced tab & go to visual effects>performance options>advanced tab>virtual memory>change>custom size & set it to whatever you need say 2gigs (2500 approximately) If this isn't in Windoz 2000 then just forget it read below. I should have went and looked. Ok I'll explain this again. garbage can takes up 10% of the drive completly empty. It doesn't actually take up space it RESERVES SPACE. So you got a drive there that's almost 10 gig It's 9 gig now cause of the grabage can. It don't show up in the free space calc. 9.38 gig = .938 trash = 8.442 gig of usable space You say you got 1.89 free, you don't you only have whats left over: 7.52 gig used - 8.442 usable space gives you 900 meg space for you swap file paging system, slack space. all the good stuff. Your drive is full man resize it. Just cause it says out of memory it at that very point may not be out of memory but it's telling you there is not enough room to do what you want to do. If I try to scan a document at 3600 DPI I get this error. The resulting file will be bigger than your entire hard drive free space. Maybe that should be the error instead. I personally don't let the garbage can take up 10% of the drive. It's silly. Why would I want to put gigs in the trash can? It don't make sence so I right click on the garbage can and set it to only take up 5% of the drive instead. It's still way to big IMHO. Like it may make sence on a small drive but on a 100 gig drive it don't make any sence at all. Cause your using fat 32 and your drive is almost the biggest you'd ever want using fat 32 your having problems. I forget but in partition magic if you set it for 4 bit table then change the drive size it will change as the drive gets bigger. You are almost at the limit of 32 bit right now. I'd try to dump stuff off that drive personally and not resize it. Remove around about 3 gigs worth. Cab files things like that.

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 9:58 PM

Where did this idea come from that a hard drive is like a gas can is wrong too. It's more like a propane tank. You cannot fill a hard drive to 100%. It cannot be done. It never could be done. I've used computers now for like 23 years, you still cannot fill a drive to 100%. It will crash around about 90% full. Why? cause there is this little command in windows and other platforms that says don't start writing in spaces that's smaller than say 4 meg. It keeps the drives from getting fragmented too fast. I have mine here set for 4 megs yours may be different. There has to be free space on a hard drive and in the case of using a paging file system there has to be lots of it for efficant computer use. Remember the paging file in your case is allowed to take up 3.25 gig so you need that free plus 10% of the drive that you'll never be able to write to anyway. If you got a big C drive like that you need 4 gigs free all the time. Make sence?

LonRanger ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 9:59 PM

Thanks. Before I try what you suggest, I have one more question: Why does it matter how much space is on my C drive if it is not a part of the equation? (At least, it doesn't seem that it is to me - please correct me if I'm wrong) If Vue is on one drive with plenty of room (G) and I am choosing to render my completed file to another drive which has plenty of room (F), what diference does it make if a third, seemingly unrelated drive (C) is a little full?

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 10:08 PM

Simple. Last time I looked Vue was not a operating system. Make sence now? Your using several programs all at once to get the job done and the one that using the c drive is having a problem. It don't have anything to do with Vue. Well not exactly Vue is requesting room for the job at hand and the operating system is saying NO BLOODY WAY. There is no room, OUT of MEMORY even though it's not out at that point. It will be if you try.

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 10:25 PM

The other thing is only C drive is that way in a windows world. Other drives, other partions can be filled much much closer to 100% depending on the setting of the garbage can. Default will make it crash at 90%, make the garbage can smaller and it will be able to be filled more but it's never a good idea cause the computer will crawl looking for spaces to write these files in. Big huge swaths of free space is the way to go. My system 100 gig drive C drive is only 6 gig, Used to be only 4 gig till I tried rendering the picture Wish ( click on my name go check it out) but it crashed at 98% so I made it bigger. Windows only takes up 200 meg here. No cab files I have them sitting on a cd. It flies No drive is even close to being any where near full. Not even close. If you want efficent memory management and efficent hard drive space you're using the wrong operating system I'm afraid. You'd have to use Unix or linux. There extremly efficent. You can still run a entire Unix system hard drives and all on a 486 computer no problem and you only need 8 megs of memory and it still puts windoz to shame in speed and preformance. It don't waste any room period.

Buffer ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 11:10 PM

Just a thought but could even though you are setting your machine to write the animation to a drive that has plenty of space, would it not still be using the swap file from the OS? Which in this case would still mean the C Drive.

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 11:24 PM

Just to show ya. Everyone should try this actually. Search for files anywhere that are 0 bytes in size. They don't count in the free space table cause they're zero bytes in size right? Nothing could be further than the truth. If you're using fat 32 they all take up space and on a almost 10 gig partion they take up each close to 128 k each. Ya go ahead delete them then reboot. I bet there is hundreds of them. If you see lots of files called: mscreate.dir Then you did the proper search. They're left over from installing microslop stuff and even better there read only. Delete them anyway. Oh even better if there sitting in a hole on your drive that is now smaller than 4 meg they then could take up tons and tons of space if you have your system set to not write in holes smaller than 4 meg. I think that's is standard on a windows box now. It wasn't on windows 95 and 98. It's a real eye opener. Somethings never change.

LonRanger ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 11:43 PM

Hey, I discovered that it's definitely not a disk space issue - it's a codec issue. I cleared several GB's from my C drive (ahh...it felt good) and the problem still persisted. Then I changed codecs. I had been using the codecs for my real time nle system (Matrox rt2500) and it didn't like them (bummer - that means I can't edit Vue animations in my NLE system realtime). When I switched to several other .avi codecs, including "uncompressed", it rendered fine. Also, it didn't like making QT files. I have QT 4 pro, but it is telling me I need to reinstall it. I don't know why, since all QT files and player work fine otherwise. Any thoughts?

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 11:51 PM

Buffer: Bingo, Ya got it. See I don't set my computer up like this default settings. I do it this way. I cut down the garbage can to 5% then if I want to delete a gig folder that I absolutly know that I'll never need again I hold down the shift key when I click delete. It's gone, no garbage can. it just deletes. I just did the search, you gotta select all drives then advanced then "not more" then 0 kb. How many did I find here? None, not a single one. I keep a really clean machine. Since the garbage can is now smaller I set my min swap file (pagefile.sys on Windoz 2000), size instead to 1024 (1 gig) and no max. If you don't have Norton you better make sure you don't have a fragged drive before you try such a trick. Norton will put the swap file first and it will be continous so as not to slow down your computer.

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 24 October 2002 at 11:58 PM

Ya got me man. Quick Time I know likes downloading in little pieces and it always seems to need a new piece. I think they do that to keep people from stealing the program IMHO. Who knows if you got more than service pack 2 installed on your machine. Well Hey what can I say, I think microsoft wants you to use there product. It could be you installed something later and it goofed up Quick Time. Like a service pack......

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.