Fri, Sep 20, 12:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: an open letter to CURIOUS LABS

alamanos ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 11:31 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:57 AM

To: CURIOUS LABS First of all, I just want to thank your team for the great job on P5. I think it's a great product and a great value dollar wise. I have a few questions that I would like answered if possible. I don't know how the rest of the community feels, but as for myself. I'd spend extra money for these options if they where availble as plugings to P5. So please let me know if and most importantly when CL plans to address these advanced features. I need to make some decisions in the next few weeks, beacuse as good as P5 is, it still lacks these important features. 1) Better lighting.. area lights,point lights,global lights. 2) Judy 2.. with more morphs and a higher geometry 3) Face room.. wich accpets with no limit on the size. 4) sky generator and terrain generator (bryce,vue) 5) radiosity I think each one of these could be available as seperate plugins to Poser with say an average price of say $50. If you guys want to give these away for free.. I won't say no, but I'm not expecting them for free. So if CL has any plans on addressing these issues, i would appreciate a response as to what CL plans are for the short term (1,6 months) and long term (1,2 years). Thanks Nick

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 11:42 AM
  1. I'd like to add my own vote for omni lights, also. 4) Look through your Python scripts. You'll find a fractal terrain generator. Admittedly, it's a bit limited, compared to Bryce ....

Marque ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 11:44 AM

Why should we pay extra for the face room when that is one of the major draws of the program? Sheesh, Marque

Hiram ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 11:48 AM

How about a plug-in that will make it work?

crusher0000 ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 11:52 AM
  1. Working collision-detection
  2. Working Clothroom
  3. Reducing memory requirement when rendering

and i would not pay for this because i already paid for 6),7),8).

JohnRender ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 11:59 AM

How about all of these features for free (since some were mentioned as "features" on the box that Poser5 came in... when it shipped back in September. How about a refund for all the "features" that DON'T work? But, if CL isn't answering the question of whether they will give refunds to pre-ordering people, why should the answer this question?

alamanos ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 12:07 PM

"Why should we pay extra for the face room when that is one of the major draws of the program?" I want it for free.. but manual does say 512x512. the face room does work. I admit it could be better, but they didn't bullshit us. The facts are there in the manual wich we all had availble to us before purchase of P5. It all has to do with money.. as it should. CL bought the rights to the face from some one else.. they bought the rights for 512 x 512 exports.. (I think). I'm sure if they bought the rights for 2048 x 2048 exports it would have cost them more. At that point they probabbly would have said forget it, the face room is not worth it. They'd have to charge an extra say $50 per licence.. I'm making these numbers up... but I'm sure it's something along those lines. Nick

Lapis ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 12:49 PM

I would really like the face room to allow for higher resolution.(minimum 3000). Its a mere toy as it is. I also agree with having omni lights and point lights, functioning collision-detection, functioning clothroom, and reduced memory requirement when rendering also. As a plugin, to have an in program sky generator and terrain generator would be excellent or at least better file sharing capabilities with Vue, Bryce, etc. There are also many other plugin options/ideas as well. I would like to hear Larry's opinion on these ideas.

Himico ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 3:09 PM

0 ) I just want working stable Poser5 for now. I already paid for it. I request that this should be the first priority.

soulhuntre ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 5:09 PM

Since P5 is stable for me, and I am not worried about the face room texture size, and I am lucky in that I don't have problems with collision in what I do.... My vote is for more conventional ligting set-up. GI I don;t expect ... I will be exporting to Max for that.

pdxjims ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 10:06 PM

Boy! A thread where I agree with EVERYONE! This is a red-letter day! And only a small amount of bashing. My wishes: 1) Fix Don too. Higher res, LOTS more morphs, body and face. In a lot of ways, he's worse than the dork. I'd pay $100 for a new male figure that wore Mike's textures and clothing, and was as versitle as Mike, but with a different base geomitry and face room friendly. I like Don's face, as a start, but his body is tragic, and when using muscle morphs he looks more like E.T. than anything human. 2) Hair collision. I know you'll fix this. Could we move it up on the priority list? Even if we could just turn off self-collision on hair, it'd help. Doing a collision detection on hair makes it look like a tumbleweed. And adding a numeric dial to the length when in hair styling would be nice (percentage of original length). 3) Point lighting (as in Vue). I'd pay extra for point lighting capability. 4) Allow for resizing the face room alignment control. It's too small for me to work with. Finer detail on moving the dots. Its a cool toy, but until it works on a high quality figure, whether Mike or a new male figure, its useless. 5) Content Paradise. Duhh... I know it's just a search engine, but if I want to find something I have to go to 20 or 30 sites, do searches, and go back and forth to decide what I find is the best match for what I need. 6) A more graphical Python design approach, or a recorder to build scripts. I'd pay for this. I've just started working with Pythin, and am very impressed, but the coding can be a pain. You could also fix some of the calls so they work (setting highlight size and color). Although this last one may very well be my learning curve. I'm going to have to start reading the Python forum. I've done my share of CL bashing, but when it gets down to it, P5, in spite of all it's problems, is pretty incredable (unlike my spelling). I think CL should consider doing its own content for sale, and should add more add-ons for sale when the bugs get down to a manageable size. After all, we don't balk at $60 for Vicky or Mike, and regularly buy cloths at $20 and $30 a pop. Good textures can go as high as $35. Hair goes from $5 to $30, even for old style transmapped hair. Utilities to augment Poser are always welcome (I can hardly wait for the new Morphmanager). Adding options to the base Poser set would not only generate income on their own, but would entice people to buy the product as it becomes more feature rich. CL has an excellent (though sometimes underappreciated) programming staff, and a community with a life of its own.

nakamuram ( ) posted Fri, 01 November 2002 at 11:40 PM

Speed P5 up. OpenGL/Hardware (or DirectX) Rendering. http://www.opengl.org

Olivier ( ) posted Sat, 02 November 2002 at 3:05 AM

What would be great improvements for me in P5? As you said: 1) OMNI LIGHTS (radiosity is not necessary as it can simulated with lights wich is a power safe solution. Anyone having tried to render a scene with radiosity know how long it is to render!) 2) OPEN GL SUPPORT, pleaaaaase! 3) Less bugs of couse What is already implemented in P5: The terrain generator can be improved with displacement map, did you know that? The background: you can assign material to it with no limitation but your imagination. I am sure we can create nice skies (I mean nice so not like in Bryce!) using this material room. The hair room can create hair, hairs, fur but I think it could be used in different ways: tentacles, waterfalls! I'm exploring the path... Finally I would say that Poser 5 is an amazing soft. A bit unstable but still excellent!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.