Sat, Sep 21, 6:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Black&White.... How???

itsik_m_18 ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2002 at 6:23 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:34 PM

file_30849.jpg

hi all i got a picture and i wana change it to black and white colors only... or some thing like in the picture how???

retrocity ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2002 at 9:31 AM

quick way... desaturate IMAGE-->ADJUST-->DESATURATE or IMAGE --> MODE --> GRAYSCALE both work somewhat the same (b/w) :) retrocity

itsik_m_18 ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2002 at 10:11 AM

retrocity Big BIG BIG!!! 10x...

JayPeG ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2002 at 1:25 PM

If you want to go beyond just black and white and add the color to it like you have in the photo above, after you have gotten it to black and white using the methods mentioned (and of those two the first one will give you better results) Do this: IMAGE-->ADJUST-->HUE/SATURATION Check the COLORIZE BOX (and preview) and start moving the sliders around until you get what you want. You could also make the image a duotone and add the color that way but this way will be easier.

Slynky ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2002 at 3:59 PM

keep in mind, the greyscale in photoshop is 8bit, only 256 shades of grey (unless they changed it in PS7). Odd when a program like zbrush uses 64000 shades of grey.... i think the desaturate is the best bet.

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Mon, 11 November 2002 at 1:52 PM

And for something of a grand finale... Erm. Well. Not quite that maybe. But I am used to make black and white stuff, and everybody has got a bloody color camera these days. The thing with just switching from rgb to grayscale, is that, for instance, red colors translate to rather dark grey colors. Well, whatever (don't have my color theory present to back anything up), but the results can be far better with this method. Which I read somewere, so the credit is totally not mine. But when I get photo's (digital or analog) I start with the rgb or cmyk version. AND CHANGE IT TO LAB. That's in there too you know. Then you have 3 channels. One is greyscale (I have a localized version, this is a guess) and the other two are called a and b. Contain some kind of color information, hue and saturation I presume. But that greyscale channel, most of the time, is really a lot clearer, sharper and has a better representation in black and white, then your average transition from rgb to grey. Trashing those a and b channels and changing the mode to greyscale and you're ready. Really, everybody should try it. Then there is the duotone mode to colorize your grey photo. I use it to do nice stuff when printing in two colors (pantone and all), but the nice thing is in the curves you can use to spread the color tint over the grey shades. Once I got this tip (the LAB thing) I never changed to B/W without, so maybe it is of help to more people.

psychederek ( ) posted Thu, 14 November 2002 at 4:03 AM

I just tried the LAB thing and it does make a worthwhile difference. It may vary from image to image but it's good to have the option - thank you! On PS7 there are 4 channels, deleting the a+b will remove all but the grey. Cool!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.