Sun, Sep 22, 2:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: So Adobe buys Carrara!!

Tuck3D ( ) posted Mon, 10 April 2000 at 10:07 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 2:26 AM

So I hear that Adobe did buy Carrara (http://www.metacreations.com/press/divestiture-final.shtml) What does everyone think? My first fear is that support will become a real question and any plug-ins and or extras we can be assured that it will be $100.00 or more everytime. But i really just wanted to see what everyone else had to say. Clint what do you think?

ClintH ( ) posted Tue, 11 April 2000 at 5:31 AM

Tuck3D, Well, Im glad a company picked it up. I'm a little worried that it was Adobe. But, I can think of worse companies. We will just have to see what happens. They might suprise us.. ;) (fingers crossed) Clint

Clint Hawkins
MarketPlace Manager/Copyright Agent

All my life I've been over the top ... I don't know what I'm doing ... All I know is I don't wana stop!
(Zakk Wylde (2007))

DP4HIRE ( ) posted Tue, 11 April 2000 at 11:30 AM

Be prepared to pay higher prices.

arcady ( ) posted Tue, 11 April 2000 at 11:47 AM

I'm wondering why the Adobe site chose to make no mention of it. The announcement is only at Metacreation's site. And only as a sub comment in an article about the CEO's game's of musical chairs...

Truth has no value without backing by unfounded belief.
Renderosity Gallery

headgamer ( ) posted Tue, 11 April 2000 at 1:10 PM

I am actually somewhat pleased it was Adobe. I would have preferred someone like Macromedia or Play, but at least it wasn't Corel. Bryce being in their hands worries me more, since Corel is unsteady at times and seems to have similar problems with vision, as does Metacreations. And with Play, they already have 3D apps, and therefore Carrara could be squeezed out like Infini-D and RDS were at Metacreations. I'm sure we will have to pay higher prices for "adobe Carrara," but I think they are a rock solid company with a good reputation. Also, I think they are dabbling in 3D now with Canoma and metastream support. They would need a 3D app. If they only have one, and Carrara is it, I think we can look forward to continued development (albeit at higher prices), and possibly closer integration with Adobe's other products. And look at all the plugins available to Photoshop, etc. Companies may look closer at Carrara for plugin development now that it is with Adobe. And that can only be a good thing, IMHO. Adobe Carrara = higher prices, but better support and more extensive plugins (at least I hope) Just my $2.00 worth (inflation, ya know...) Headgamer

brenthomer ( ) posted Tue, 11 April 2000 at 2:40 PM

As a video editor I work with tons of adobe products. I just bought carrara so Im not as familiar with it as all of you but I was really happy with the fact it was targeted at "more of an average user" than lightwave/max. I have a bad feeling that Carrara will end up being a 3d program for video editors with no 3d experiance. This alone will triple its price....then I figure more post production 3d artist will see it and complain about its interface untill they brow beat adobe and carrara starts looking like, acting like, and costing like all other 3d programs out there. I mean look at adobe's product line...they dont have one consumer oriented program...I doubt they will make this there first one!. Of course there is always hope... -Rock

AzChip ( ) posted Tue, 11 April 2000 at 4:55 PM

Adobe has a lot to be proud of, essentially creating the desktop image manipulation revolution. I'm really surprised they didn't get into something 3D years ago. When Adobe purchased AfterEffecs from CoSA, they took an excellent program, screwed around with it for a revision or two, and then finally made an outstanding program that integrates fully with PhotoShop and Illustrator. If this becomes Adobe Carrara (although I imagine they'll change the name -- Carrara doesn't have much name recognition yet and the two names just don't flow together), it's likely to be rough for a while, but smooth out into an industry standard.

Tuck3D ( ) posted Tue, 11 April 2000 at 9:24 PM

Well I knew that when I posted the news that plenty of comments would follow, but I had no idea of the passion felt by so many. Yes I do agree that Adobe purchasing Carrara "might be a good thing" and yes we can certainly expect to pay big bucks for their plug-ins. Headgammer pretty says it....support will be stronger and plug-ins will be $$$. But maybe they will fix the bugs and more companies may jump onto the SDK bandwagon now that a strong company like Adobe has it......WE'll just have to wait and see

dlfurman ( ) posted Tue, 11 April 2000 at 11:54 PM

Dang! And I didn't have the $199 (less the $99 for the RayDream 5.5 purchase) to get Cararra when it was at Metacreations! @#$!@$@#$!@#

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

Idol ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2000 at 2:24 AM

Adobe have never made any bad softwhere, yet. So I think Carrara can be very greate in the hands of Adobe. Just wounder what happends with Poser then? If Poser is going to an other company, then we maybe never going to see Poser and Carrara integrated (that was a dream for me to see some day). /Marcus

Idol ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2000 at 2:25 AM

Adobe have never made any bad softwhere, yet. So I think Carrara can be very greate in the hands of Adobe. Just wounder what happends with Poser then? If Poser is going to an other company, then we maybe never going to see Poser and Carrara integrated (that was a dream for me to see some day). /Marcus

AzChip ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2000 at 11:06 AM

I stand corrected on the "creating DTP" comment, but I think that, nonetheless, Adobe has revolutionized DTP, particularly in the PC platform, but even in Mac they're pretty much the standard. And you're right, Corel and Adobe could duke it out and it would be a pretty fair match.... In response to Idol's comment, though, Adobe has had some clunkers in its history, but particularly when they first tried to Adobe-ize AfterEffects. It made the program pretty miserable to work with for a couple revisions, but finally they got their stuff together and made a great run of it.

wolfdd ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2000 at 3:41 PM

In my eyes a very bad day for Carrara... I know, Photoshop and other Adobe products have a good reputation, but Adobe = Ultra high prices! They try to make the big money out of every piece. So I think we can be prepared to see a lot of plugins for Carrara coming, but way too high priced to be affordable. Second bad fact: Carrara and Poser in different hands. As Idol mentioned, I fear the dream of Poser and Carrara being better integrated some day now is over. However the only thing we can do now, is wait and see what time will bring. I'm happy, that I did not drop my former favorite 3D program, Monozoom, completely. After a recent update it is coming very close to the possibilities of Carrara. In rendering times it allways has been faster than Carrara. wolfdd

Idol ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2000 at 4:45 PM

I think Carrara could be strong and even better in the hands of. Not everything that Adobe makes are expensive. Indesign, for example, is not. So if Cararra gets better and going up strong against leading 3D-software on the today-market, I think Carrara is worth some more money. /Marcus

Idol ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2000 at 4:48 PM

oops! It should be: "... in the hands of Adobe" /Marcus

douglas ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2000 at 11:17 AM

Some one said something about a sofware called monozoom. Could any body tell me more about it? I have never heard such name before, except for the leica monozoom lens.

wolfdd ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2000 at 7:55 AM

Sorry, I misstyped it. The correct name is Monzoom 3D. It is a German 3D software. The website is http://www.monzoom.de . The user interface is not so easy to handle as the one of Carrara. Also the shaders have less features, but since last version there also are different settings for Color, Reflection, Refraction, Bump, Glow and Highlight channels. Monzoom has a plugin interface and there are a lot of plugins available including math textures. Another new feature is a comic plugin. Carrara still gives the better results in most situations, but when I look at the big improvements in the last versions this may change some day. I use this software since the good old Amiga days. Those days the name of this software was Reflections. wolfdd

douglas ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2000 at 9:47 AM

Ok now I understand, I did check the web site unfortunately is in german and the part I got right where it said demo did not work as I spected because there was no demo, well maybe in other time I will have chance to see how it looks.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.