Mon, Sep 16, 10:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: Unknown DAZ Program wish list?

mikes ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 5:06 PM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 6:59 PM

I don't recall a wish list being started for the mysterious DAZ program, but could I add these 2 items: 1/ The ability to render with the default shadows that Poser casts on the ground plane before you render. This could save lots of headaches with lights. It could be adjustable for intensity and color? Wouldn't this be easy to implement? 2/ The ability to delete a figure along with its attached props AND clothes. This is a real pain at the moment to delete all the clothing, etc. one at a time when deleting a figure.

Hiram ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 5:18 PM

The ability to select multiple objects in general would be a blessing.

Rhiannon ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 5:30 PM

I'd like to hear more about the mystery program in general ... is there a projected launch date?

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 6:02 PM

From what I read on PoserPros, the program is only in alpha so I wouldn't expect anything until spring at the earliest

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

Lapis ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 6:54 PM

My request is that they take there time and put out a killer application that slices, dices, and chops but never chokes.

LordNakagawa ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 6:57 PM
  1. RELIABILITY!!!! 2) Simplicity!!! This is where Poser 5 failed misrablly. Hair and dynamic clothing are as complicated as in full blown programs but without the reliability or acceptable result. Strand genrated hair- its a real pain to set and still looks like brillo. Teh result are not nearly as nice as transmapped hair. Since I render in cinema 4D usaualy anything I cannot export is useless 3) A way to save MAT and MOR (or thier DAz equivilent) files directly 4) Built in tailor abilities- so that I can apply morphs on the base figure an it morphs clothing (this will be tough) 5) Multi monitor support. This would be nice but not vital. I am one of those few oddballs with 3 three monitors on my PC. I know in a small minority 6) Ability to dslay transparencies in the display. Again CL failed here. Transmaapped hair is so great butit woudl be even better If could get soem Idea what I morpving and morphing without having to render. 7) Integrety. This is compny not a software issue. The program may be great but its integery and service I get that make my buy version 2. CL said 3 years on a total rewrite of poser which is obvious is NOT the case. Fortunatly I have had only teh best of dealings with DAZ and I hope they carry thier great service and customer apprication in their software venture and speaking of tough Oh and plug-in for 3d apps like Cinema 4d (my favorite app of all time)and 3DS.

jstro ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 7:04 PM
  1. Linux support. 2. Vue compatability. jon

~jon
My Blog - Mad Utopia Writing in a new era.

GizmoMkI ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 7:10 PM

A drop-dead gorgeous blonde who will bring me refreshments while I'm on the computer all day. Barring that, animation capability running more than 999 frames and volumetric lighting.

droyd ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 7:15 PM

A File drop down menu on the interface that shows recently opened pz3's (or whatever they will call them). This way you can access the last file you were working on faster and not have to search your hard drive for it. 3 to 5 choices would be great but the more the better. Ditto on Vue compatability!

Penguinisto ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 7:19 PM

Yeah, that's it's tentative name (Jack mentioned it in PoserPros first), and it saves seeing all the "Whaddafuggissitnamed Mystery Program from DAZ" and other speculations on the name :) jstro - I'm lobbying like a presidential wannabe in Iowa for a Linux port, and I am encouraged by things, but I caution you (and everyone) that nothing has been set in stone outside of the fact that there will be a Windows and a Mac version. Final OSes and which versions of each get included are being kept mum for now (pending feasibility and porting issues) Anything beyond this, I ain't sayin'. Vue/Cinema4D/Bryce/Carrara/KitchenSinkProggie type of plugin compatibility will be something that will have to come later on... too many other, bigger issues to deal with right now, like making sure things are stable, robust, and reliable. I think everyone involved has seen how P5 got bunged coming out the chute, and I don't blame DAZ for emphasizing stability and useability instead of calling out for wishlists. /P

jstro ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 7:32 PM

I'll just keep my fingers crossed. :-) jon

~jon

dan whiteside ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 7:36 PM
  1. Modern geometry handler (especially the ability to handle convex facets!!!) 2) Normals on import, abillity to set normals smoothing angle 3)Real Ray Tracer 4)Objects that are sized to the rest of the 3D world 5)OpenGL support

Lapis ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 8:05 PM

Stable would be good. Can't have no more chute bungers now.

merknz ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 8:06 PM

Actually in Poser 5 I've found the Dynamic hair can bring some amazing things to life if you use the wind force prop to do some of the shaping. I think Poser 5 is missing only three things... 1. A good Undo or 'Step-Back' function 2. Stability (The SR's are going a long way to fixing this) 3. Select Multiple objects. P5 has some issues of course, but that doesnt mean DAZ will have all the answers (but we can always hope)

MaterialForge ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 8:56 PM

7.1 Surround Sound. And Dan, buy out Kae Labs to incorporate VocalWriter into Mimic, which in turn is incorporated into App X... ;) Donnie Christianson Posertrax.com Music & Sound FX for Posimators www.posertrax.com

MaterialForge ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 8:59 PM

penguinisto, Linux would be cool - I just started playing with the Lycoris version, and it rocks. Now I got all 3 platforms swimming happily here in the studio. :)

Crescent ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 10:03 PM

(Yes, I'm stealing everyone's words.) ;-) Must have's: Reliability. Stability. Backwards compatibility. (You know what I mean.) Undo feature. (At least one step regardless of the last action performed; several levels would be nice.) Strongly desire: Library hierarchies. (I can't go back to P4 now that I have nested folders, something that P4 should have supported.) Ability to create library folders and move files from within the program. (I have to shut down Poser and do this in Windows Explorer. Sigh) Would appreciate's: Compatability with other programs like Vue and Bryce. Ability to display transparencies in the work mode, not just render mode. Manipulate multiple objects at one time. A way to save MAT and MOR (or thier DAZ equivilent) files directly.

Mosca ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 10:06 PM

"there will be a Windows and a Mac version." My fondest wish is that they be released at the same time. Oh, and Vue export capability for Mac would be nice, too.

MaterialForge ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 10:22 PM

While I'm at it - a kick-ass camera system like Bryce has. Especially where the camera is a real object you can easily move and make paths on...

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Thu, 21 November 2002 at 11:23 PM

Dunno... I would say the ability to do some modeling using some base figures that have sufficient polygons to be converted to a number of different creatures. Millennium pets would also be nice.

SnowSultan ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 12:24 AM

My only addition to the wish list is that DAZ doesn't try to hard to do everything on the wish list and we end up with another program that tries to do everything and doesn't do much of anything. :) I just hope it's simple, fast, and backwards-compatible with all the stuff we already have. DAZ has a good idea of what needs to be made anyway, so I'm not too worried about what we'll get in the end ;) SnowS

my DeviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

nakamuram ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 12:42 AM
  1. Poser 5 with Open GL or Direct X Support. 2) Victoria and Stephanie 3) Clothes for 2

mikebruin ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 12:45 AM

ROFLMAO!!

casamerica ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 12:53 AM

In addition to a previous item, I would like to add the following three items: 1. Stability. 2. Stability. 3. Stability. Now, I realize that that is really only 1 item, but since someone else really buggered themselves by ignoring this most basic of items, I thought it important to mention it more than once. ;-) Take care and be well. casamerica

Lapis ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 1:01 AM

Again I'd like to echo that I hope it doesn't grt bunged out of the chute. (still laughing) Thanks P man.

Lapis ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 1:02 AM

Grt... what the "H" is grt!

williamsheil ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 1:38 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?Form.ShowMessage=881147

This is the link for the original wishlist thread in the OT Forum, back a few months ago when the DAZ developers were asking for ideas and feedback. A lot of the stuff here is also being incorporated into the Open Source project, so keep the ideas coming. Bill

aleks ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 3:20 AM

i hope that it would not become a "better poser" but a new application with new possibilities. like - get rid of conforming clothes. - use "clothifying", or however they'll call it, for all clothes. it's possible to do it in real time, even with todays computers. since it won't come for at least 1/2 to 3/4 year from now, pc performance will almost double. as penguinisto said, it seems that the dmp (daz' mystery programm) uses multiprocessors so it's feasable. - use particle based hair, not geometry based hair. - vertex select/move with soft selection, preferably as in maya. - plug-in concept for third party improvements - export to 3dsmax - export to 3dsmax - export to 3dsmax ;)

aleks ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 3:22 AM

oh, and no mickey-mouse gui!

Phantast ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 4:59 AM

The most important thing is good ergonomic design. Poser 5 didn't really need a lot of new features, what it needed was fixing all the dumb design issues in the interface. Not only can you not select multiple objects as noted above, you can't select no object at all! And the select procedure is so clunky. Plus a long list of other things. I'm against the idea of trying to have one program that will do everything. I'm quite happy using the toy renderer in Poser 4 for checking a model out and then using a serious raytracer for the final image. As long as BOTH programs are efficient to use, and transfer between them is easy.

Schlabber ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 5:23 AM

Hmm ... let me think: - the ability to make my 'Earl-Grey-10min-tea' in 5 minutes (don't know how it would be possible - but they are making wonders there at DAZ - or not ??) - A graphical interface for my IBP (for all of you who don't know -> that's 'Intelligent Brain Plugin') - A millenium Micro-Wave-Oven - fully functional ... - A sleep-minimizer (together with the interface for the IBP) - I expect it to run with a 386DX 40 with 4 MB Graphic Card !!! (oh wait - that's a bit harsh - let's say 8 MB Graphic Card) hmm - should be enough in the beginning ... Happy posing Schlabber

Lapis ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 5:45 AM

Now time for the motif......... ...a program that doesn't get bunged out of the chute. Too funny!

mikebruin ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 7:48 AM

Any way they can avoid the additional $5000 cost per licence to cover litigation from CL? ROFLMAO!!

Jackson ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:37 AM

I agree with many of these. We don't need it to be a modeller or a professional renderer. We need useability and simplicity. We need the Anti-Poser! No stupid Kai interface. Layers, yes (Vue has 'em...they're great!). Area Render! Multiple-object selection; decent filehanding; and, please, when an object is deleted from a scene, it's textures go to! Oh, that reminds me: decent memory management.

praxis22 ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:33 AM

Just one wish: GFX card support! Be it via DirectX, OpenGL, or "hitting the metal" directly, I don't care. I just want a reasonably modern render engine. One that makes use of the resources available to it, rather than relying on "Moore's law" to pull it's ass out of the fire. later jb

Penguinisto ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:37 AM

Praxis - I can say for certain that it does that now... it uses OpenGL for the pre-render previews (which means that you don't see tranparency as a faded/dotted item, but instead as true transparency.) /P

asrai ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 2:06 PM

It's pretty much all been stated... Oh man, that transparency feature's gonna be awesome...

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 3:27 PM

As difficult as it would making porting to other platforms, I almost wish that DAZ would go with DirectX. I've seen some of the stuff that Nvidia, ATI, and Matrox are preparing with their next-gen hardware for DirectX 9, and it looks absolutely incredible.

Faerie fans should check this out; it was demonstrated on the GeForce FX at COMDEX earlier this week. Imagine being able to render and animate this in real-time:

http://techconnect.nl/images/GeForceFX/pic16.jpg
http://techconnect.nl/images/GeForceFX/pic17.jpg
http://techconnect.nl/images/GeForceFX/pic18.jpg
http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/pc/docs/2002/1120/kaigai1_10.htm
http://www.yeahthemovie.de/

maclean ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 3:33 PM

A few things I haven't seen mentioned. 1. Posette has 54 body parts and a menu list twice as long as her legs. USE SUB-MENUS!! Like, put the fingers in the hands' sub-menus and reduce the length of the overall list. 2. Renders that can be MINIMISED, so we can make intelligent comparisons without having them littered all over the interface like dead bodies. 3. If there are additional windows (hierarchy/whatever), make the danged things resizable and PROPERLY scrollable, ie. so we can see it move as we scroll. 4. Keyboard shortcuts for gawd's sake!!!! 5. Some kind of SENSIBLE import dialog. If the universe can't conform to the rest of the 3D world, at least give us intelligent options to import. NOT 'percentage of bloody figure size'!! 6. Camera and Lighting systems that weren't designed in Toytown or Santa's Grotto, complete with a hotkey for every camera, and a way of deleting ALL lights at once. Minor points, I'm sure, but things that make life bearable. Oh, and please lose the 'oh-so-eighties-interface-for-dummies' mac

maclean ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 3:36 PM

PS Little Dragon - I'm not much into fairies, but..... WHHHOOOOOOOAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Excellent links! mac

jbrugion ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 4:29 PM

FYI on DirectX versus OpenGL: Although DirectX is faster on some hardware/software combinations it's not a big factor unless you're trying to pump out 120 fps of Quake/Doom/Halflife/Unreal. DirectX is a major league PITA to work with. OpenGL is cross platform, DirectX isn't. OpenGL is supported on Windows, Mac OSX and Linux. There is a new OpenGL 2.0 standard coming that will incorporate a lot of new capabilities and features, see www.opengl.org for details. It is no coincidence that it is being pushed by groups such as ATI and NVidia and that NVidia and ATI are assimilating "rendering" software and hardware technologies. They are looking to take their graphics to the next level so that my teenagers will blow their( = my ) money on the next generation of games.

jstro ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 5:24 PM

"A lot of the stuff here is also being incorporated into the Open Source project, so keep the ideas coming." Bill: What Open Source project? Got a link? jon

~jon

Hiram ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 5:28 PM

AMEN!!!

Penguinisto ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 5:35 PM

jstro - check Sourceforge - there's a billion 3D projects in motion for Linux. jbrugion is right - OpenGL has new and better improvements coming (at about the same time DX 9 comes out), and, OpenGL is an open standard, unlike the closed (and heavily licensed) DirectX. PS: Bushi has a python script to delete all lights and leave a single light behind. /P

nakamuram ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 7:48 PM

Daz should do OpenGL for all platforms and offer a choice of DirectX and OpenGL for Windows Platforms. Some Windows gaming manufacturers offer both. One more thing: A Renderer plug-in for P4/P5!!

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 7:51 PM

Glad to hear that OpenGL is getting an upgrade.

By the way, the Quake games, Half-Life, and the upcoming Doom 3 are all essentially OpenGL titles. id Software is no fan of DirectX either, and its technology reflects this.

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:16 PM

Another strike against Direct X is the fact it's totally dependant on windows os no other os need apply since MS 'don't serve their kind' For DAZ to do something based on direct x would put them at the 'tender mercies' of MS licensing (insert comments about foxes and henhouses) Also it would mean that two different graphic systems would be needed also cross platform file exchange would end since the two systems wouldn't read the others format. Feed direct x to the sharks and go with Open GL

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

praxis22 ( ) posted Mon, 25 November 2002 at 1:54 AM

Attached Link: http://www.mesa3d.org/

jstro, It's called Mesa, (link) unless you mean the opensource version of Daz studio, in which case Peng is the man to ask.. :) later jb

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.