Fri, Sep 20, 9:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: DAZ Studio

danfarr ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:16 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 9:49 AM

file_32675.jpg

Just thought you may like to see what vapor looks like. There have been several posts recently discussing some of the wish list ideas that people would like to see for the new DAZ Mystery App DAZ Studio. We are definitely trying to gather all of the ideas possible. A few posts previously there was a discussion of Open GL. The image that I am showing you is a screenshot of the working windows along with a very early interface (it is far from finished so please dont expect this to be the way it will look later on). The images in the windows are not renders but are shown in the display mode. You will notice that the display mode provides transparency mapping and anti-aliasing. There is still some additional open GL display functionality that we have not yet hooked up. The model in the windows is Victoria 3 with one of her optional character morphs (Anna Marie Goddard) which will be released sometime after Victoria 3.

DAZ Studio is designed to work with many different applications. It will utilize Open G.L. technology, and have many of the technologies seen in some of the leading 3D applications. It will run on the PC and the Mac (0sx) and hopefully some versions of Linux. It will be able to read several different 3D file formats including the files which we already distribute. We are still very early in development and have a long way to go. We want to be careful not to develop any unrealistic expectations but our goal of this application is to help grow this market in which we all live. I hope that as we start to release more information about the application you will know what the product is and what it is not. In the words of the great philosopher Popeye, I am what I am and thats all that I amsk.

Dan Farr
President, DAZ Productions

P.S. Victoria 3 is coming along nicely as well.

ookami ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:20 PM

As soon as I pick myself off the floor... I will say "WOW!"

Jaqui ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:22 PM

I HEARD LINUX GRIN looks good Dan.

RonGC ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:26 PM

Throw in good lightwave object and animation export -import and you have a winner :-)

Rhiannon ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:26 PM

Wow ... this is awesome! Even though it's far from finished and this interface may chance completely, I for one appreciate the information, thank you! I'm very excited about it!

Xena ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:27 PM

OMG!!!! I just knew this was gonna be good. Thank you soooooooooooo much Dan :)

ziggie ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:30 PM

OH WOW....! Where do we send our munnnny...?

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

Hiram ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:31 PM

"The images in the windows are not renders but are shown in the display mode." Dan, I want to have your babies.

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:31 PM

:-P Drool!

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

Traveler ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:34 PM

That looks fantastic Dan. You have my money when it comes out :)

Questor ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:34 PM

You tease... Well, for vapour it's looking promising - especially from the short list of features you've offered. OpenGL, Win/Mac/Linux and the "different 3d formats". If you don't mind answering at least a couple of questions. Hey, you knew when you posted this you'd get blasted from people around here with a barrage of questions, begs, wishes and general "wow cool" remarks. :) "be able to read several 3d formats" is a bit ambiguous. Poser can "read" several formats, but it can't work with them properly. Being able to load something is vastly different to recognising the format and using it properly. Poser can import 3ds but mangles the uv co-ords, hierarchy, parenting and most other things contained in the file. Will your app improve on that and utilise the various formats properly or just be another "it's a thing, here it is" utility that only utilises object? That's slightly more important than might at first appear and not just because of the obvious savings in space. :) I don't expect you to give a technical answer but some sort of explanation of that would be kinda nice. :)

ziggie ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:36 PM

Hiram: Never mind Dan.... I wanna give HER babies...!

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

soil ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:37 PM

wow that is nice!

rockets ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:39 PM

This is very exciting news! I understand it's far from finished, but what about Victoria3...when will she be released and will she work with both Poser4 and the new app?

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:45 PM

Well, I for one am PISSED ! Why you ask? 'Cause the preview renders look better than my finished art. SO THERE! J/K. Of course, in keeping with my weird comments, I like the new look of the site...especially how that lime green colorish thingie is used. Now I see it's carried forth to mimic the UI. Anyway, I like it. I don't know enough to ask for anything. Maybe just one item I'd like to see. My problem is lighting. Always having to render and adjust and render and adjust. Sure would be nice if a person could get more of a preview of how the lighting works in a preview window so I wouldn't have to go back and forth. OK, I'm done. No pressure here. Thanks for the snippit, Dan!

sturkwurk ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:45 PM

How about a nudity tag next time? (A brick hits Doug in the back of the head) ouch. Cool Dan! I assume it will animate figures and not just do stills. I'll second the Lightwave compatibility too!

I came, I rendered, I'm still broke.

Charlie_Tuna ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:46 PM

I think I just gave up wondering when P5 Mac will be out and will now start thinking about OS X and (much) bigger hard drives :-)

Why shouldn't speech be free? Very little of it is worth anything.

bijouchat ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:49 PM

this looks absolutely fantastic, great start... looking forward to its completed app.

Crescent ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:49 PM

Need a beta tester? ;-) (Heck, I'll be an alpha tester! I'm great at breaking things!)

Blazerwiccan ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 8:58 PM

WOW WOW WOW. Ok looks like after the holidays I have to start saveing my money.

Don ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:00 PM

Do it right. Take your time. This is wonderful. Adios. -Don

milamber42 ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:01 PM

Dan, I might be the only one to request this, but it would be nice to have support for Carrara.

Penguinisto ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:04 PM

Jaqui: You're damned right you heard "Linux"... (evil grin.) Now you guys know why in the hell I've been so damned excited all this time. :) /P

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:10 PM

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! My spirit sister's jaw hit the floor, and she isn't even a digital artist. Me, I'm trying to jump-start my heart back into it's proper beat pattern. Is your beta tester list full yet? Can I volunteer if it isn't? I was just thinking, with the few things I'd heard, it'd probably be worth holding out for DAZ's product, since P5 only has one new feature I want. Now I know it is. You guys rock!

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:15 PM

Great start Dan...not to sound pessimistic with all this joy juice bubbling over, but lets just use the word "careful".... I think I'll wait for SR-2 before I plunk down my cash... unless of course you need a beta tester...I'll be happy to help :) The display mode looks good enough for keepers :) I see you have some python going, along with some cloth and collision detection....what else is behind that arrow over on the right side ?

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

nyguy ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:21 PM

What I would like to know is after buying Poser 5, what is the price range are we looking at? I know I cannot afford something in the $200US+ range and really can't afford anything over $300US.

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

Wadus ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:30 PM

that looks awesome!! what kind of moster system will be needed for this thing to run...

praxis22 ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:39 PM

If that's OpenGL then anything made in the past two years should do, especially if you have a decent ($50) Gfx card.

andygraph ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:43 PM

only for MAC OS X ? BLAAAAAAAAHHH it's not a good idea :(

bijouchat ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:44 PM

ohhh milamber, I'm with you there... would be wonderful to have Carrara support (big HINT)

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:48 PM

Carrara would be good

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:54 PM

Version 0.0.11.1 ... a long way from v1.0, I suppose.

I do hope that DAZ considers implementing an open-ended modular architecture, so that additional functionality can be added through DAZ- and third-party-created plug-ins. For instance, I would like to see Mimic as an optional feature, accessible from within the program.

Jackie ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 9:59 PM

Stands and Applauds

volfin ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:07 PM

He said PC and MAC, andygraph. They ain't that stupid! *8-)

Valandar ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:10 PM

To paraphrase "They Might Be Giants"... Particles, Dan, Particles, Dan, Particles can hate rendering man... They have a fight, particles win, Particles, Dan. But WOO HOO!

Remember, kids! Napalm is Nature's Toothpaste!

droyd ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:17 PM

Looks great, thanks for posting this. I can't wait to see how it turns out. I think it would be an excellent idea to have a new web page on the DAZ site called "DAZ Studio WishList". That way we could all go directly there with our wishes and suggestions and you could get all our thoughts quicker and more efficiently. Best of luck with the project!!!

zechs ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:20 PM

Homina homina homina.... Truespace .COB support please! (yeah right. :( ) Just don't skimp on animation tools!

andygraph ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:23 PM

so when talking about OS it's better say: PC and MAC OS 9.X to later and OS X ;-)

pdxjims ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:27 PM

hmmmm.... it sure ain't vaporwear! And Vicky III looks pretty good too! Now, following the old rule that when we get a little, we want more.... Mike III? More pics to tempt us? Estimated release quarter and year? Guestimate on pricing? You've opened a can of worms, Dan... Or maybe Pandora's box. At least we now have a working name - DAZ Studio. Thanks for the tease!

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:32 PM

That's "Dandoras Box", pdx (LOL)

andygraph ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:33 PM

HAHAHA sure sure :D maybe Ratteler you dont know how many mac users dont want gone on MAC OS X ... for now ;) Andygraph mac user from 1984

Philywebrider ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:34 PM

Looks terrific, any chance of Daz Studio and/or Victoria3 by Christmas? No rush understand, just an inquiry. :oP

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:36 PM

ROF-Really-LOL @ Ratteler!

creativechaos ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:37 PM

OK, to jump on the bandwagon....WOW! I'm with everyone else, for being still in preliminary mode, it's looking SWEET! How about render times? (guessing it will be directly linked to processor speed and memory) I've heard P5 is a nightmare to render with lots of stuff in the scene, granted I'm not on a tiny machine by far, but that still influences me a lot. Bryce did look great until I started rendering scenes and 18 hours was only HALFWAY done. More pics would be nice, and a timeframe to work with (to save the pennies) would be kool. We all know how the P5 thing turned out with the wait on top of the wait and waiting some more. I'm with crescent...need testers ;)

My Store              My Gallery

Remember...getting lost is the senic route to the eventual destination. (And a lot prettier than the straight road)

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:37 PM

If those are the lightwave controls for the camera I can jsut say i hope it isn't that in Daz Studio .. eww. Least for me it is eww ... doesn't look there is any control to it. Maybe it brings up another box but that is still kinda eww to me :) Just my two cents But overall it looks good so far. if you need a Mac tester let me know :)

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:38 PM

Would I be asking for too much to question if Platinum Club members get a discount....(slaps self!)

kayjay97 ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:40 PM

Damn............. sitting on the edge of my seat in anticipation........... this is just AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! And my money is READDDYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

In a world filled with causes for worry and anxiety...
we need the peace of God standing guard over our hearts and minds.

Jerry McCant

danfarr ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:40 PM

Rattler, now please don't take the current inteface too literally. At this point it is still basically just in testing mode. With that being said a lot of the interface design is being done by Chad and Micah who both use lightwave. They also use Photoshop, Poser and Deep Paint and several other 2D and 3D applications. Our goal with the interface is to make it intuitive and not complex but at the same time have the necessary functionality.

As far a pricing goes, it is still too early to announce anything. I do want to say that we are very aware of the price sensitivity in this market and it will be reflected in our offering. I think that you may have noticed the trend at DAZ is to try and keep things affordable. When we bought Mimic we offered it at a 75% discount from the previous owners and settled in on a price that is about a 66% discount. Our pricing will reflect a desire to grow the market in which we all exist.

Dan Farr,

President, DAZ Productions.

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:41 PM

I think we should not get DAZ too hyped up about getting it out too soon.... and just wait...and not bug them...even a little bit. If anything, we should request a huge beta test...with as many systems, OSs, video card configs, ram amounts , etc as possible....I suppose the more testers, the larger chance of a leak, but it would be sure nice to get an app that works as advertised right at release with minimal problems.

ardvarc37 ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 10:47 PM

{:-)=

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 22 November 2002 at 11:03 PM

file_32678.jpg

OOOOOHHHH! I see a Python button! And a Collision Detect button! I wannit! I wannit! I wannit! Now! Now! Now! Now! But please take all the time you need to get those things right!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.