Thu, Sep 19, 9:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: November Bryce Challenge Here it is!

pidjy ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 9:02 AM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 6:13 PM
  • Land of Fantasy - What vision, which image would represent best, for you, a Land of Fantasy : ... A shinning Castle? A battle of dragon? etc.. Lets go with imagination and bring back a part of dream from your journey in the world of Fantasy and magic!.. imports and post work allowed.. Try not to focus on a single character.. ! I hope you like this topic! Lets go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Many thanks to AgentSmith, FWTempest, Creations and Gregsin for helping me to decide!.

Ang25 ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 9:05 AM

oooooh, I love fantasy. I hope I have time to participate in this one. Great choice of topic!

pidjy ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 9:08 AM

maybe some people dont really know what is Fantasy here are some references : Lord of the ring, Dark Cristal, Excalibur or even the world of Tim Burton ! etc.... But most of all .. MAGIC and I M A G I N A T I O N! Cheers!

electroglyph ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 11:07 AM

Let's not leave people out. Fantasy begain before 1950. Check out these authors. Lord Dunsany HP Lovecraft Robert lewis stevenson. Many of these were illistrated by great artists. Do a search for Maxfield Parrish, Sidney Sime, Aubrey Beardsley, H. J. Ford, Lighton, William Morris, etc. A search for Pre-Raphaelite Artists will turn up many good pages or check http://www.speel.demon.co.uk/other/prb.htm For modern authors there is lynn abby, ben bova, robert asprin. A complete list can be found at http://www.sff.net/people/Amy.Sheldon/listcont.htm Many modern works have great illistrators. Most of these are on the web. Included in the Tolken Illistrators are , Tim Kirk, and the brothers Hildebrandt http://www.brothershildebrandt.com/, one of my favorite is Michael Whelan http://www.michaelwhelan.com/ who did the covers for The dragonriders of pern and the Burroughs Jon Carter re releases. I'm afraid we have another wide open subject this month. It will take me a couple of weeks just to pick. Happy Hunting Everyone;)

Erlik ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 11:15 AM

Yay! Will see whether I have time. :-( BTW, electroglyph, you didn't mention a couple of illustrators. Actually, more like scores of them. :-) Not to mention the writers.

-- erlik

Incarnadine ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 11:24 AM

I think about half my gallery qualifies for this! (LOL)

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

Darkginger ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 12:03 PM

Yippee! Thanks pidgy for a wonderful subject - can't wait to get started!

tjohn ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 12:06 PM

Not that I'm leaning toward taking this approach myself, but does the work have to be medieval in nature? (I'm assuming this based on the "dragon" and "castle" reference.) It's just that the medieval type pics have been a bit overdone. Just check out the Poser galleries here to see what I mean. I think Land of Fantasy could maybe be past present or future. Fantasy and magic could occur anywhere at anytime. How do feel about this, pidgy?

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

electroglyph ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 12:10 PM

I know! Glenn Cook (Dread Brass Shadows, Bitter Gold Hearts...), Spider Robinson (Calahans Crosstime Saloon, Antimony...) I was reading John Bellaris (The face in the frost) before this upstart Harry Potter ever showed up. I could type till the sun went down and not scratch the surface. I probably won't copy a book cover per se. But I would like to be able to get that Parrish or Hildebrandt blue-sky and golden-sunset in my work. I see what I want in my mind's eye. It's making the tools do what I see that hangs me up.

lsstrout ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 12:17 PM

Hmm... my favorite fantasy has a handsome man giving me a backrub.... ;) So Pidgy, can we carry this to wherever we like, or are you looking for the fairly standard medieval/europe/armor/monster scenario? Lin

chohole ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 1:07 PM

file_30687.jpg

Its one I created to cheer up a friend, called Welcome Home

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

Aldaron ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 1:09 PM

Fantasy is very broad but from your examples you are looking for heroic fantasy? Though your statement for imagination leads to anything your mind can come up with, originality, a sense of wonder and magic.

Colette1 ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 1:10 PM

I'm with Lin,I thought Fantasy was just a place you could go to in your own mind, of your own making?

Colette1 ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 1:21 PM

I like the image Chohole!!!

vasquez ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 1:30 PM

hope that hobbit will not participate or the competition will be over.. ;-)

Ang25 ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 1:38 PM

I'd like that backrub!! Nice fantasy.

electroglyph ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 1:47 PM

Women that like thinking about naked men. I think I just stepped into a fantasy! Where were you all before I became happily married 18 years? Seriously though, Ozz, Alice in Wonderland, The wind in the Willows all are Fantasy Lands. I don't think the theme necessarily excludes everything but knights and dragons. I do think it involves magic or something out of the ordinary. Chohole, have your guy reaching through the mirror to pull a lady through to the other side and I think you have an entry!

ICMgraphics ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 1:56 PM

On a cool crisp morning of the 11th moon, the journey begins. Airy puffs of smoke rise from the chimneys as they turn and say farewell to realityville. The adventurers are strong and witty Brycians knowing no bounds. Sleepless nights, endless memory loss, nothing...nothing will stop them. Alass only a few shall reach the summit, and wether it be strentgh or cunning that grants them their well deserved reward, they still keep on. For only they know; "It is a Brycian thing"

madmax_br5 ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 3:02 PM

Yeah Vasquez, if Andy Simmons (a.k.a. Hobbit) posts in this challenge we don't have a chance.

cshaftoe ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 3:03 PM

Those of you looking for modern fantasy imagery may like to checkout ROGER DEAN . He did most of the album covers for the rock band 'YES'. YESWORLD.com is worth a look too. There is also a guy called 'REMO' at 'REMO's World'. He likes fairies and all that..... Now, where's that troll I did last year......... The Bryster (Chris)

Erlik ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 3:31 PM

Pidjy, yeah, does it have to be epic fantasy? How about urban fantasy? (Fritz Leiber, Tim Powers, Charles de Lint and so on) Or any other historical fantasy? How about Conan? Re-watched the original Conan recently and been trying to recreate the elk sword since. :-)

-- erlik

ICMgraphics ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 3:48 PM

Roger Dean Rocks. Spent many'a brain enhanced evening listening to that music and Staring at the art work on those album covers. Even tried to draw some. :) Whoa...that takes me way back. (gulp)

electroglyph ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 4:59 PM

file_30688.jpg

Hey Lattace Intersect with Sphere = cover of fragile I've also got some floating islands as .3ds in my freestuff. The surface is seperate from the core so you can put grass on one rock on the other. The bigger one even has a river down the middle and a hole. I used it for some Chattacon 27 artwork. I can't find the final but here's a thumb of the WIP. Just about everything you see is available free at www.reebosmeshyard.com .

ttops ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 5:03 PM

Well people of Bryce land excuse me while I kiss the sky. Happy renders coming my way. A chance for all to prove that imagination is greater than knowledge... Lovely topic...

foleypro ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 5:32 PM

Yeah Baby now were talking....I love Fantasy especially importing and Postwork allowed....Challenges are just kickin are they not....

EricofSD ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 7:26 PM

Yeessss, massshhhhter, Igor hear and obey.

lsstrout ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 7:53 PM

Chohole: Thanks for the pic! :D Lin

cshaftoe ( ) posted Fri, 08 November 2002 at 8:09 PM

Attached Link: http://uk.geocities.com/bryster3d

ICM: You're showing your age, man! Have you heard Yes' 'Magnification'? Fantastic! Electro: You want floating islands? Check out my website gallery. This might just be fun...... The Bryster (Chris)

nexxon ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2002 at 6:15 AM

what is bryce challenge? is it a contest? if so, where i have to post the picture? is there a contest gallery?

tjohn ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2002 at 8:02 AM

nexxon: Just post it here in the Bryce Forum and type in something like November Challenge entry for "Subject". Check out the Bryce Forum header for Monthly Challenge Rules. Then get rendering! The winner gets to pick the next Monthly Challenge subject matter. (It was a $1,000,000 grand prize until this month, but Renderosity had to make some cutbacks in spending. Just kidding.)

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

Brendan ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2002 at 8:35 AM

Fantasising now!..I may never come out of it....

SevenOfEleven ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2002 at 3:20 PM

When is the end date?

Aldaron ( ) posted Sat, 09 November 2002 at 3:44 PM

Usually the last day of the month, so the month is already 25% over. Get a move on it! :)

chohole ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2002 at 6:34 AM

Quick question. Would an image that I have posted wips of in the poser forum, but never finished count as an entry? Or would it be contrary to the rules which say new images only?

The greatest part of wisdom is learning to develop  the ineffable genius of extracting the "neither here nor there" out of any situation...."

foleypro ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2002 at 7:18 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=277069&Start=1&Artist=foleypro&ByArtist=Yes

file_30691.jpg

Well here is one of my Impressions of Fantasy...

ttops ( ) posted Sun, 10 November 2002 at 8:52 PM

file_30692.jpg

And my impression of fantasy...

lemonjim ( ) posted Tue, 19 November 2002 at 9:50 PM

Attached Link: EyeCage

file_30693.jpg

alright, i can no longer resist. no sooner did i read about this fantasy "challenge" thing, when up THROUGH THE FLOOR came a cage with an eye in it, surrounded with 8 waving hands. Blinked and it was gone. i guessed it must be a fantasy, so i will attempt to enter it. See the full "sideways" panorama at www.jjlg.com/panoramas

nispelsm ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2002 at 9:55 AM

Well, I know you guys say medieval fantasy is a bit overdone, but I figure I will let you guys see what I have to offer anyway (hehe). I have a whole website devoted to an original medieval fantasy world, and I have created several images in Bryce to depict various people, places, and such from this fantasy world. The URLs for the galleries are below: http://www.ancientscrossroads.com/bryce/gallery1.htm http://www.ancientscrossroads.com/bryce/gallery2.htm http://www.ancientscrossroads.com/bryce/gallery3.htm

nexxon ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2002 at 10:21 AM

i still dont know, how the challenge work and i wonder about the ugly works, like the train shown on this site. maybe anybody can tell me in german, what the comments on this site mean.

Aldaron ( ) posted Sat, 23 November 2002 at 1:29 PM

tatjana, create a new thread with the title November Challenge entry and post your pic there so AgentSmith doesn't miss it.

ciaghit ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 3:54 AM

file_30695.jpg

"Sea of stone" by Tiziana

nispelsm ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 12:03 PM

Just so you guys understand me, the links I posted above were not entries for this month's challenge, as they are past works. I just figured you all would like to see what I've done in the past. If I manage to finish my current WIP before the end of the month, I will post it in the appropriate thread.

cshaftoe ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 6:32 PM

Sea of Stone just did my head in.........what a concept! The Bryster

cshaftoe ( ) posted Sun, 24 November 2002 at 6:33 PM

Stone ME! I just posted a reply that worked!!!!!!!! Wonders will never cease! The Bryster

lsstrout ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2002 at 4:54 PM

Nexxon, I hope I can tell you about the challenge in English well enough to help you out. The monthly challenge is meant for fun. Last month's winner decides on the topic for this month. There are a few rules, look at the Bryce Forum box at the top of this page for a link. I think the train on this page was just an example someone posted, not meant for the challenge. WIP usually means 'work in progress', not a finished picture. To enter, start a new topic, put 'monthly challenge entry' or something similiar in the subject line and post your picture. At the end of the month, AgentSmith (one of our moderators) will collect all the pictures into one area. Then, we all vote on what we like. 3 points for the best, then 2, then 1. AgentSmith will then add all the points. Whoever gets the most points wins and chooses next month's topic. Lin

jack965 ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2002 at 8:36 AM

file_30696.jpg

This is my entry. I am not massively experianced but I really do like this piece. It just looks like you can put your hand out and touch it.

DarkEnchantment76 ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2002 at 2:54 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity, violence

Well, this was slapped together in about 1 hour! Enjoy

DarkEnchantment76 ( ) posted Fri, 29 November 2002 at 2:59 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity, violence

MOST NUDITY AND VIOLENCE EVER!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!! MHAHAHA

cooney ( ) posted Sat, 30 November 2002 at 11:17 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_30697.jpg

Post work done in photoshop, sorry I know its a single character, but I created this image A while ago... well its fantasy. Am I too late ?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.