Tue, Oct 22, 5:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Ancient human figures anywhere?

Knuten ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2002 at 8:55 PM ยท edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 7:46 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_33531.jpg

[The pic is just a quickly morphed-up Poser skeleton; certainly not anthropologically correct.] In Poser we have lots of figures & morphs of modern humans, as well as fantasy & mythical characters, but I've never been able to find any reasonably-accurate (or even crummy) pre-homo sapiens sapiens figures. Like, where does one find an Australopithecus africanus, a Neanderthal, a Zinjanthropus, a Cro-magnon, etc.? I'm sure they exist... Remember seeing in National Geographic the anthropologists at the keyboard, reconstructing whole figures from scanned fossils, using 3D wireframes... and later even fleshing them out. I'll guess they used "3D Modeler". But whatever software & format they used, those meshes must still exist somewhere. Any ideas??? I did write to some Anthropology profs at the local U. Got one answer so far: "Try searching the web." (That's how I found her. :) So, thought I'd search our Forum, too.

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2002 at 11:16 PM

I haven't seen any in your list, but ISTR Cro-magnon is the same homo sapiens (anatomically) as we are.

Patricia ( ) posted Wed, 27 November 2002 at 11:24 PM

Wish I could help---I've looked for almost a year for a Neanderthal. I'll watch this thread like a hawk. Hope you're successful :)

Knuten ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2002 at 2:13 AM

Thanks Mateo & Patricia! Actually, I am hoping to find something earlier than Neanderthal, but as it is, there's nothing at all yet. ("Abominable Snowman" & "Ogre" aren't what we're looking for.) There's got to be some University out there somewhere with a stash of these meshes. Guess we have to just keep hunting. Morphs applied to Mike, Steph, Vic would be just fine, but they would need to be done by someone sharp in Anthropology & 3D modelling... that lets me out. :)

Bryde ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2002 at 3:48 AM

file_33532.jpg

On http://www.fantasticarts.com/3dmodels/creature/neanderthalman.htm there is a Neanderthal figure in 3ds. You might be able to bone him up in ProPack or P5. The zip does not include any information about the author and on the download page there is no one mentioned either. I dunno how exact it is in the term of real Anthropology. He doesn't even have a penis (is it ok to write the name of the thing here??? ;-> )

Preview rendered in Poser 3.

I am sure many Universities do have a "stash of these meshes" but then I am also sure they are not allowed to offer them to the public - copyright and all that stuff, ya know...

Knuten ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2002 at 5:31 AM

Thanks Bryde, That's the "Abominable Snowman" figure. I've got it somewhere, but can't find it at the moment. It's rather low-res, but still good for when you need a Bigfoot or Yeti in the distance. It's just not an accurate, actual figure of an early or pre-human species. You're probably right about the difficulty of public free access to this stuff, but all we can do is try. After all, these files are just gathering dust right now in some University (and were probably paid for with public taxes, to boot.)

freyfaxi ( ) posted Thu, 28 November 2002 at 2:17 PM

Just a hint,but you said you saw them being done on a Nat Geo program ? Maybe a little research there might identify the folks shown who were making the figures ? Maybe, just maybe, you might be able to track down what institute they were working at when they created them ? I know it's pretty much a long shot...but...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.