Wed, Oct 9, 12:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 08 7:44 pm)

Subject: More Regarding the "Content" Issue (Special JettBoy Rant, Kids!)

Bladesmith ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 5:25 AM

ok, I admit to doing a somewhat crappy job on a sabretooth morph for the poser lion. Didn't look that bad, but could have been better. Been meaning to make some prop fangs but haven't done it yet (should be a 2 minute job at most, simple 2railsweep). Smilodons were about the same size as a modern lion, but twice as heavy....the poser lion would need to be beefed up. problem is, the poser lion leaves alot to be desired...someone made a free tiger that seemed to pose better, that might be the figure to work with.

bijouchat ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 9:59 AM

I like Warhol. I like Frazetta, Vargas and Vallejo. Royo too. I like Degas, and I like Monet. I like Manet too. I just adore Patrick Nagel, and Dennis Mukai. I love Olivia De Berardinis, and H.R. Giger too. I like Michaelangelo... I like Lichtenstein too. I like M.C. Escher. A LOT. !!!!!! Oh, and I like Frank Lloyd Wright. He's not an artist you say... damn straight he WAS... I think Richard Feynman was great at rendering the nude female form. Oh, yeah he was known for being a Nobel prize winning physicist. So what - he drew nude women very well too. Netherworks is spot on. My background is in traditional media as well, and just an amateur 3d artist that works on improving my skills in this new media. Poser is one of the tools in the toolbox. I like naked females, I like them with clothes on too. I even like buildings and furniture. but those tesselations of M.C. Escher fascinate me every time... maybe I should do some nude ones just to spite the old women here. Oh yeah, you can see male genitals in Escher's Angels and Devils tesselation... god forbid! Its not art anymore... !! What bothers me most about the NVIAT argument is that strikes me as just a bunch of prudes that usually have no clue about great art, trying to impose their prudery on everyone else in the name of art. Repel them, repel them... repel the fascists at all costs. If its art to YOU and you enjoyed creating it, that's all that matters.

lhiannan ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 10:28 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_34382.jpg

Hmmm, well, not IN an oven, but beside one. She only willingly enters temples, I'm afraid.

Nekkid Vicky with an oven and large biscuits...

Now, if I can get a sabretooth tiger into the oven, then we'll have something...

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 10:32 AM

LOL! those are mighty big biscuits, I have to admit. Watch your hands...I've heard sabretooths leave a nasty bite mark if not handled correctly.

jenay ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 10:39 AM

mc escher is great - must aggree :) i esp. love his architectonic surreal/impossible views and fakes. and i love the art of valejo, frazetta, royo, posada and others. and i love temple girls ... ;)

macmullin ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 11:12 AM

I love the large biscuits ... but/or are they muffins?

This great stuff lhiannan - I am sure Salvador Dali would approve.:-)

another_angel_gone ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 11:19 AM

Now I understand why this is called an artists community. It's because you talk about artists now and again.

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 11:27 AM

Has it occurred to anyone that "Online Graphic Artists Community" is a vision or mission statement for Renderosity? What those who established the site hoped it would become as opposed to what it actually is. Is it their fault that a bunch of us non-artists took up residence? They made available free and open space in their galleries, and we ran in and put refrigerator paintings up on their walls. I freely admit I am doing no more than that. Why do we blame Renderosity or its owners for that? We are the ones creating the galleries, not them. Anybody remember Pogo/Walt Kelley? We have met the enemy and it is us? The question is, what's so terrible about that? Why can't the self-admitted hobbyists share space with the self-proclaimed artists without having this ongoing debate? It is what it is, and we have made it this way. So what? Of all the really important things in life, surely putting a graphic up on a digital gallery isn't the most significant. And if it is, I'd check out your priority list this year.

macmullin ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 11:30 AM

By the way what is the record for the length of a single post or thread? This one makes an even 60!

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 11:35 AM

Small potatoes...."Daz Studio" has 240.

macmullin ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 11:42 AM

Your right, not even close...

Kendra ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 12:14 PM

I have a feeling that "California Dreaming" was one of the top 5 longest threads but nothing can touch the Poserpros P5 Eula thread.

Favorite artists? Fanch Ledan, Gary Benfield, Tarkay, Linda Lekinff, Peter Nixon, to name a few. :)

...... Kendra

MisterDog ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 12:41 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity, violence

I do agree that after merest moments all the pathetic goobers who are using Poser to try to make up for being bottle-fed as babies can become annoyingly tedious. On the other hand, Renderosity's galleries are worth every penny I paid to take a look at them. I only regret the minutes wasted in confirming that such sad gits are as common as I already thought they were. I'm not an artist, nor do I pretend to be. I do dabble in modeling, although the past year or so I've taken a few steps back to get my old school paper and pencil draftwork and preliminaries up to snuff. It's amazing how important that still is. My wife, on the other hand, is an artist--actually, she's a mere "illustrator" according to the besotted nihilists who have taken it upon themselves to define "art" in our current era. But I just remember what Kelly said once when he commented on the difficulties my wife was having with her formal art professors. "If anybody understands it, it's just illustration. If anybody actually likes it, it's too commercial." Oh, yeah: POW! WHAM! HOOOOOOOOTERS! A little textual nudity and violence.

Kendra ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 1:58 PM

"she's a mere "illustrator" according to the besotted nihilists who have taken it upon themselves to define "art" in our current era"

as in..

"I do agree that after merest moments all the pathetic goobers who are using Poser to try to make up for being bottle-fed as babies can become annoyingly tedious. On the other hand, Renderosity's galleries are worth every penny I paid to take a look at them. I only regret the minutes wasted in confirming that such sad gits are as common as I already thought they were."

Pot-Kettle-Black syndrome perhaps? :)

...... Kendra

SWAMP ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 2:16 PM

...so if Vicky is in the oven now,did Momma cat move the kittens to the temple?......

scupper ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 4:19 PM

I'm amazed at the unique ability of artists to simultaneously rail against those who presume to say what is or isn't art while doing exactly the same thing to others. "Piss Christ" is art, but Vicky in a Temple isn't. "Duct Tape, Paste, and Crap I Found in My Apartment" is art, but a Bryce Landscape isn't. I wonder how prolific Pollock or Mondrian would have been had they listened to what other people considered "art." On the other hand, i agree with Legume. :)

duanemoody ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 4:30 PM

This is the same problem in science fiction and comic books. Stan Lee became a great because he read everything around him and drew from it, NOT (like Rob Liefeld) by imitating other artists in the same field (a useful technique for LEARNING a craft, not practicing it). If the only art you have for a frame of reference is what you see in any online gallery, you're restricting your own thought. OTOH if fantasy poster art is your thing, have fun doing it. No one here is required to be a bleed-for-your-art tie smeller, thank god. Fairies nauseate me, but I can recognize the enjoyment their artists here have creating those images. Believe me, ten pieces of bad art here are more palatable than one bad fanfic.

macmullin ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 5:07 PM

Attached Link: http://www.artregister.com/SeavestIntroductiontoCollection/Catalogue/PearlsteinTwoNudes.html

I think one of the North American greatest artist who married classical nude drawing and painting with modern and post modern movements is Philip Pearlstein (b.1924). His work deals with the nude figure with very unusual strange and dynamic compositions and surroundings. I think he would have loved working with Poser.

macmullin ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 5:15 PM

Attached Link: http://www.robertmillergallery.com/pearlsteinshowimages.html

Philip Pearlstein: Recent Paintings 2001 - Robert Miller Gallery Catalogue

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 5:19 PM

Did anyone see the "60 minutes" segment on how optics may have been used to help create the highly detailed paintings of 500 years ago? It was really an intersting theory...the historian proposes that the grand masters of that time may have literally traced images onto their canvases. Of course he is rattling the cages of the art world and the intellectuals having hysterics over the idea that a grand master wouldn't use a short cut. I think they would have enjoyed working with Poser too. :)

BillyJ ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 7:45 PM

file_34383.jpg

Sabertooth, dedicated digital.

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 7:52 PM

The mice better hide. That cat looks hungry. Is the Sabertooth from the Dedicated Digital Animal Kingdom cd?

Ironbear ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 9:06 PM

"By the way what is the record for the length of a single post or thread? This one makes an even 60! " If you mean the record for this site: roughly 781 posts to the longest thread here, total something like 6-10megs of HTML when saved out. If you mean "record in a 3D community thread", it's currently about 1780 posts and 23,000+ views in the big "EULA from Hell" thread at Poser Pros general discussions forum.

"I am a good person now and it feels... well, pretty much the same as I felt before (except that the headaches have gone away now that I'm not wearing control top pantyhose on my head anymore)"

• Monkeysmell

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 04 December 2002 at 9:41 PM

"actually call it an online graphics hobbyist site..." Now Poppi, no copying my idea. Sheesh, can't we have some originality an creativity in these rants. If this keeps up, I may have to go elsewhere for my inspiration. Everybody'd better be getting ready to render Vicky in CAD_MAN's new temple or she will be verrry upset, and you know what a b@#%h she can be when she's mad.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

BillyJ ( ) posted Thu, 05 December 2002 at 1:01 AM

Yes, dedicated digital animal kingdom cd.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.