Fri, Oct 4, 3:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: Roll Out the Banners and welcome firefly!

audre ( ) posted Mon, 09 December 2002 at 8:35 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 1:38 PM

i've a wonderful announcement to make! firefly has agreed to help mod the fractal forum! thanks so much firefly for going the extra distance to help us out when we really needed it! so, let's celebrate. howabout a new banner? a bonafide banner contest we can run off the front page with voting and everything. how does this sound folks? let's say --- banner size must be no larger than 300x50 pixels -- does that sound reasonable? how long do you think we should hold the contest? do you want a theme? can we dig up prizes? anyone have any idess? :-) audre

abmlober ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2002 at 3:37 AM

Oh I forgot - welcome firefly as a moderator here :-)

:rolleyes::sad:
Joy of Frax

DreamWarrior ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2002 at 1:25 PM

Welcome Firefly and good luck!

My crafts - My Freebies - My Store - Delightful Arts

firefly ( ) posted Tue, 10 December 2002 at 7:49 PM

Thanks abmlober and DreamWarrior! I look forward to having some fun here with you all! And, looks like I'm kind of forced out of lurk mode (grin). I try to follow the topics here to gain a better understanding of the "why" and "how" of fractals. You all do such amazing fractals and know your programs so well, along with math formulas etc. Makes me feel like the kindergarten kid in some ways. Anywho... I too love to make fractals. For me it's like mixing paint for no other reason than to "touch" colours and patterns. Makes me feel really good! Now, about those banners (grin) I'm also very weary of looking at little red"x"'s specially the kind that don't have treasure under them! abmlober, you raise a good point about some wonderful banners being created in past contests. However, we have had a few new members come into the fractal forum and gallery and I would like them to also feel at home here. One of the quickest ways I know to make folks feel at home is to show them where the coffee pot and fixings are (grin) and let them get some whenever they feel like it... not just when I feel like getting it for them so, here's my ideas... 1.) I will see if I can round up some or all of the original entries from the banner and the seasons contest. (may need membership assistance here) 2.) I will see if the original artists can be found for each entry and gain their permission to use specified artworks in our banner. (again, may need membership assistance here) 3.) A new contest will be held in conjunction with this that would have 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. (This gives newer members a chance to get mired more deeply with us in here (smiles)) 4.) Each of the 3 afore mentioned winners plus one of the past entries would be the rotating banner base for the year 2003. Number based losely on a calendar month generally having 4 weeks (we know this is subject to variablility so we go with 1 actual week rotation). Okay, that's my idea list for the night!!! Now, we need your ideas. Like audre asked: 1.) How long should the contest last? 2.) Do you want to run it off the front page or keep it to ourselves? 4.) Do you want a specific theme? If so, what theme ideas do you have? 5.) Should we have prizes aside from the "banner" being posted? Ideas on what to use for prizes? or what you'd like to receive as a prize? Drats... just realized I can't enter :( oh well, you guys will just have to share your fun and excitement and glory with me. That will be just as good :) !!!

DreamWarrior ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 11:44 AM

Your ideas seem fine to me, Firefly. About Audre's questions, here are my thought: 1) I think about a month or so should be fine. Maybe it seems like a long time, but many of us have things to do that might make us loose a short deadline. 2) I don't know about this one. I see good reasons for both choices. 4) I think the theme should be "show what fractals are about in a small banner". After all, it's what is going to represent what fractals are in a blink. :-) Hard one, isn't it? 5) It would be great to have prizes. But I don't know what or who will be giving it. I don't know if Rendo will be involved in this. If so, I'd like a Magazine Issue. If not, we should get sponsors or something like that, right? Well, sorry for my poor English. Hugs!

My crafts - My Freebies - My Store - Delightful Arts

firefly ( ) posted Wed, 11 December 2002 at 11:35 PM

Thanks for your input DreamWarrior! (Can't believe I can't count (grin) missed using the #3!) I agree on the month time frame, specially with so much going on for Christmas and New Years. Your theme is a toughie!! Remember, if my ideas are agreed on you will see 4 fractals a month and the banner is going to be static... meaning it will be there solidly for a week at a time. Prizes are always a cool thing. So, anyone else got ideas or input on this? I'd love to hear from you!!

stotty ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 3:09 PM

Hey welcome back audre, and welcome Firefly :) 1) A month sounds good as a contest timeframe.but if there are going to be four fractals a month, does this mean you are thinking of it being a ongoing event? 2)Don't mind either way but the frontpage does sound rather tempting :) 4)I would prefer no theme for the banners 5)Not fussed about prizes, just want to play

MightyPete ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 5:13 PM

Aw I liked Little Red's banner. Only cause I took a little part in helping create it. But I guess everything has to come to a end sooner or later....

firefly ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 9:17 PM

Thanks stotty! :) It's good to see someone who's anxious to play (grin). Hmmm, visions of a fractal sandbox.... MightyPete, you're right too. Little Red's banner was wonderful. So, what can we do to preserve some of our forum's natural wonders for future generations? Let me think on that one and come up with some ideas :) Now, back to the contest ideas decisions etc.... I'll wait until Saturday for everyone to have a chance at getting their input posted and Sunday I'll have it mapped out for you along with start/end dates etc.

audre ( ) posted Thu, 12 December 2002 at 11:58 PM

i think we ought to have a banner archive... we can do that. let me see if i can dig up all the old entries and put them someplace where they are easily accessable which reminds me... out back room.... will have to check with the programming staff to see if it's ready for us yet. i am thinking the fractal forum's back room the idea place for stuff like that!

abmlober ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2002 at 3:49 AM

Audre, this is a good idea! And like the ads are cycled with every new window I would really like to have more than one banner - not with every new window but perhaps on a weekly basis...

:rolleyes::sad:
Joy of Frax

stotty ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2002 at 4:13 AM

I also like the idea of a changing banner, and with an option to add new ones

MightyPete ( ) posted Fri, 13 December 2002 at 12:27 PM

You got my vote. Changing them is even a better idea cause what's one image when fractals are just so numerous in the first place?

firefly ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 1:30 AM

Hi all, got waylaid a little this weekend so will get the contest details posted Monday evening instead. I appologize for this delay. Hope you all had a terrific weekend :)

ladynimue ( ) posted Sat, 11 January 2003 at 10:53 AM

Hey Firefly, just wanted to give you a warm welcome and congrats to the position of co-Fractal Mod. You and audre make the perfect team and I know the forum is going to have even more fun now than before with your bright "fractal" light to help shine the way :) ladynimue

firefly ( ) posted Thu, 16 January 2003 at 12:07 AM

hehehe, thanks LadyN :) here I am, a little late as usual! This fractal community is sooo self sufficient and wonderful at keeping communications, teachings, sharings and what not going that they don't really need me at all (warm smiles) but, I do like to hang out in here and read all the wonderful things they post as well as share their excitement in new revelations. Most don't know that though as I'm very quiet :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.