Wed, Sep 18, 11:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: December Challenge Entry-"Aspen Grove"

tjohn ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 3:53 AM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 10:09 PM

file_36176.jpg

Happy Holidays! 100% Bryce (Except for the horse, of course, of course). And the signature is Photoshop. And I did a little touch-up here and there in Photoshop, too. 95-98% Bryce?

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

Zhann ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 4:17 AM

I really like it, seems so quiet...as an aside, I'd have made the horse a dapple grey to carry out the color scheme, but, that's just me, Happy Winter Holiday...=)

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

tjohn ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 4:23 AM

Yeah, I thought of that, tried a solid black horse, too. Finally decided to add a dash of color to the scene. Thanks for the advice!

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

ICMgraphics ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 4:44 AM

Yeah! Fantastic birch tex, and the steam and kick up from the horse too. Nice one.

Ang25 ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 6:44 AM

This is beautiful!

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 7:38 AM
Forum Moderator

Maybe the horse's mane should be longer? Just a thought... The Bryster

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

TheBryster ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 7:39 AM
Forum Moderator

BTW: loved the snow! The whole scene is very good. How long did it take you to render? The Bryster

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

BecSchm ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 10:00 AM

Ah, so pretty. I can feel the cold, crisp air!

tjohn ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 10:00 AM

Render probably took 3-4 hrs. (didn't have the report render on, so I don't know exactly. Render quality was 64 on a 1024 pixel wide image. Snow effect is a volume mat on a sphere that encompasses the whole scene including the camera. Thanks for the kind words, all.

Nukeboy ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 4:09 PM

Reminds me of a Bev Doolittle painting I have... dappled palomino with Native American rider in a birch forest... The horse and rider just sort of blend in.

Colette1 ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 4:12 PM

Beautiful render tjohn.

bikermouse ( ) posted Sun, 15 December 2002 at 8:29 PM

Spectacular - have to play with that sphere/mat thing. only suggestion: maybe add hooveprints ? I.E. add a negative bool horse to the ground so that only the hooves intersect. again, very good! - TJ

Jausse ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 12:40 AM

Nice picture. I like it a lot. But it's true what bikermouse says about hooveprints; maybe add some in Photoshop (so you don't have to render again)? Josselin

Zhann ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 1:48 AM

tjohn, forgot to ask, did you create the tree texture it's relly great, I was just in an aspen grove today just outside a ghost town near Basalt, CO, and you're right on!...

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 5:50 AM

tjohn, Jn the foreground there are two trees that have a "cut" in about the same place and whoever it was that commented probably just saw that similar cut in the same place on the two trees, and was too lazy to incestigate further. There's a lot of quaking aspen near June Lake one area where I did field studies. I remember A heart and DL + SH carved in one of them. THe trees look about right but these are taller than they were around June Lake. thanks for the snow sphere info. I'll check it out. - TJ

lsstrout ( ) posted Mon, 16 December 2002 at 11:55 AM

The trees do not look too regular to me, and I love the falling snow, it's very beautiful. My suggestion, fwiw, maybe a little steam from the horse's body, as though he's been running a bit. Lin

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2002 at 1:13 AM

As an aside, Aspens look very much alike for a reason, it's the same reason they're found in groves...Aspens in a grove, or stand as it's called, are all clones of one tree, a parent. The parent aspen sends out underground runners and from each runner comes a tree very much like the parent...of course birds do distrubute the seeds, and should one take hold, a stand is sure to follow in time...just some more useless information rattling around in my head....=p

bikermouse ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2002 at 1:54 AM

Zhann, Ah yes, that was what it was - I knew something didn't look quite right as soon as I realized I was looking at aspens. Those I've seen were the more than likely product of runners snd thus the distribution would be more linear. Uowever, these appear to be mostly of about the same age with no parent apparent, (althoug there are a few childern ). So in this case maybe we should just figure that the birds had a good day as it's a really good render. - TJ

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2002 at 3:33 AM

bikermouse, Actually, most of them would be the same age, they're clones after all...!

bikermouse ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2002 at 4:02 AM

They would be the same age in the bird senerio. In the runner senerio, the children of each runner would be the same age within the runner with runners of different ages at from the parent tree, trending towards the direction of least resistance and where ever water was. From my observation, runners tend to run in more or less a straight line whether hemlock or birch. My vote's still with the birds! But then consider for a moment if it was the birds, what kind of birds? - TJ

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2002 at 6:04 AM

Stellar Jays, Cedar Waxwings, Common Finches, Ravens, and Magpies...I kid you not...:p

tjohn ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2002 at 6:08 AM

African swallows probably...no wait, they only carry coconuts. :^)

bikermouse ( ) posted Tue, 17 December 2002 at 7:04 AM

No black throated grey wobblers? We've got a bunch of them here - I try to quit feeding them about September, but they hang around all year now, even though I think it gets pretty cold for them this time of year. Did you have any luck with the plop render, tjohn ? - TJ

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.