Mon, Sep 16, 11:01 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: BUM to JPEG. Help !

compiler ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 2:55 PM · edited Mon, 12 August 2024 at 7:17 AM

I need help because my memory fails me. I know that there is a program that can change .BUM files(the Poser4 bump maps format) into JPEG images, but I don't remember which one. Is there anyone that can hel me on this one ? Thanks in advance. Compiler

wgreenlee1 ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 3:02 PM

poser

compiler ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 3:32 PM

wgreenlee1, Poser 4.03 transforms JPEG into BUM, OK. But what I want to do is the opposite : transform the BUM into JPEG to use in Poser 5. (for files for which I don't have the original JPEG, of course) I did not found in the Poser 5 book a line about this conversion. It just tells you to check the "ignore shader trees" option, which I don't want to do because I wish to use procedural textures on the same render. If anyone knows how to do this, I'd be most grateful to know.

tasquah ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 3:49 PM

compiler , You can make your own bump maps . Say you have a V2 body and you want a bump map for it. You bring it into your paint program then Desaturate it ( Change it into black and white ) then you invert that ( everything goes the opposite Blacks become white, White become black ) Then you play with it a bit useing the Brightness / Contrast option. Mostly its adding more contrast to add more bump height.

compiler ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 3:57 PM

Thanks for the tip Tasquah. But it works for people, not for objects (at least not always). (BTW : when I do this for people, I like to add some random noise : it gives a more realistic effect to the skin). But what I am looking for at the moment is simply a way to get my old Poser4 library of bump maps (especially some vehicles) in BUM format back in JPEG format. I can't understand why CL, who has invented the BUM format in the first place, and then discarded it for the JPEG format, did not give a way to translate BUM into JPEG. Not very customer-friendly, is it ? Compiler

tasquah ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 4:13 PM

ok i got yah now. What you do is make a COPY of your BUM file then reneame it to BMP . This allows you to bring it into photoshop and is easly saved as a jpg . I just tried it on a BUM from a gun and it worked fime for me still looks the same ikky green color and i cant tell the difference between the photos .

compiler ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 4:18 PM

Oh, is it that simple ? Thanks a lot, Tasquah, I'll try this immediately. Thanks Compiler

Marque ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 6:03 PM

Poser won't do it if you have the pro pack installed wgreenlee1. tasquah is right, that's how I do mine. Marque

EsnRedshirt ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 7:55 PM

Poser 5 can use any image file as a bump map; or a texture map, or a transparency map, or anything, for that matter.

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Sun, 12 January 2003 at 11:42 PM

What you're talking about is a GraphicConverter plug-in called Poser Speed Bump. It was written by MartinC, who created MacConverter.

The plug-in re-converts green bump maps back into editabe greyscale graphic files. Both GraphicConverter and Poser Speed Bump are Mac only. Now, there's a switch.

compiler ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 1:55 PM

A switch ?

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Mon, 13 January 2003 at 11:56 PM

...from the usual Windows-only apps, utilities... ...and...uh...Poser 5...

compiler ( ) posted Tue, 14 January 2003 at 12:27 PM

Oh, I see. Forgive my poor english. Compiler

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.