Sat, Sep 21, 5:54 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 3:32 pm)

Subject: Protect your computer! Please read...

Schunken ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 2:36 PM ยท edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 4:51 AM

Okay, not the right place for this, but maybe its helpful for us all... There is a freeware firewall for your computer at www.zonelabs.com called zonealarm. If you use this little tool you are "stealth" in the internet, no other computer can see yours, also no other computer is able to connect to yours for getting passwords or install trojan horses. I have test this programm on several internet pages who try to get access to my computer and reading data. NO system was able to get data, it comes better, all systems told that under this IP-Adress is NO computer. They didnt even see me :-) OK, this is no protection for e-mail viruses, but it also protect you for beeing spyed out by companies who try to get informations for a user profile... And the best is, for private use this programm is free.... Der Preis der Freiheit ist ewige Wachsamkeit! Andreas

CharlieBrown ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 2:43 PM

There is a commercial program called Black Ice Defender which does all that, plus tells you when someone tries to contact you, and allows you to chose four levels of "contact". One of my co-workers swears by it, and it's gotten very good reviews. But, again, it doesn't block e-mail viruses. And costs $45.

Merlin ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 4:15 PM

If you take ZoneAlarm, be careful to take the last beta version, not version 2.1.10. offered on the main ZoneAlarm page. Only the last beta update (2.1.18, available at http:www.zonelabs.combeta_download.htm) corrects a bug allowing someone to use port 67 to perform a TCP or UDP scan on your computer... This excepted, ZoneAlarm has more features than BlackIce Defender. BlackIce only monitors incoming data. ZoneAlarm also monitors outgoing data. Ok, BlackIce has a traceroute tool, but you can find a lot of freeware trace utilities

DigitalArtist ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 6:06 PM

I think Black Ice is better than Zone Alarm....I mean, if they both allow a stealth connection, who cares about outgoing data? I found it a pain too if I wanted to use programs that I already cleared while Zonealarm was running - the program still poped up asking for confirmation. Personally, I really don't need a firewall because my connection isn't static. Email virus' cant really be blocked by anything,if you use a blocker, they still are on your server waiting to be re downloaded at that time that you dont have your blocker installed. but if you have a virus scanner of some sort and don't open email from unknowns - it shouldnt really matter. You can become stealth by turning off your printer and file sharing also. Ive found this to be helpful. You can also run Netstat in a DOS window to see all your connections that are currently up (and any that are connected to you)by typing netstat at the prompt Theres a program called Netbus Detective that automatically blocks all incomming com ports from any type of hacker penetration (http://www.microtoft.com)

Nance ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2000 at 9:10 PM

Tried netstat but it pops open then closes. I'm on a regular dial-up ISP with a temp IP# -- should it be telling me anything?

DigitalArtist ( ) posted Sun, 07 May 2000 at 5:37 PM

it should tell you any ports open and what IP you are connected yo or who is (if any) is copnnected to you. use the MS-DOS Prompt :] (works with all win9x machines)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.