Fri, Sep 20, 4:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Creating Beveled edge in Spline?

ashley3d ( ) posted Wed, 05 February 2003 at 9:07 PM · edited Wed, 17 July 2024 at 5:40 PM

Hey modelers, is there a easy way of creating a beveled edge on a complex AI file imported into Spline Modeler? Other that reaccomplish the vector base drawing?

hartcons ( ) posted Thu, 06 February 2003 at 11:18 AM

For this I typically do the bevel in either C4D or Lightwave and then go back into Carrara. I think there's also a plug-in from zaxwerks that can do something similar right inside After Effects (which now can operate in 3D mode). Carrara can do bevelling on text and I think there was a discussion a while back about turning a piece of vector art into a character in a font and then using the text bevelling capablities of C. There are zillions of dingbat-style fonts now so the text method is at least a useful backdoor approach for certains kinds of shapes.

hartcons ( ) posted Thu, 06 February 2003 at 11:47 AM

for what it's worth, http://www.vertigo3d.com/ also has some plug-ins for doing 3d inside illustrator. don't know if you can bevel an object inside illustrator and then take that into carrara in a meaningful way.

PAGZone ( ) posted Fri, 07 February 2003 at 3:20 PM

hartcons: You use C4D, LW, and C? What are the advantages of this combo? I am just curious, I use C becasue of it's ease of use and price. If I could justify spending the money on LW or C4D for a hobbyist, I don't know if I would use Carrara. Basically, although I like C, why would you use it if you have LW and C4D, whcih are two of the industries major apps? What does C offer that C4d and LW do not? As for modelling, it seems to me that either of these should be able to out do C's spline or vertex modeler? -Paul

hartcons ( ) posted Fri, 07 February 2003 at 4:26 PM

I started with Inspire (Lightwave Lite which is a bit of an oxymoron) but wasn't getting anywhere so I purchased C. C made sense to me and I started making progress but then I got frustrated with some of C's limitations (this was back at v1.x) including lack of bevelling capability in the modellers. So then I upgraded from Inspire to Lightwave. 17 books and many, many hours of pain later I managed to get Lightwave to create a cube which didn't even look that great. I started playing with the C4DXL7 demo and fell in love with the look of the test renders I was getting plus I found the C4D modeller very friendly. So I purchased C4DXL7. Then I wanted to do Flash vector output and getting vectorstyle for C was the cheapest way to do that so I went back to C plus I thought the new global illumination feature was well-implemented and I really like the renderosity user community for Carrara (including the forum and the contests and the tutorials, etc.). If you post a stupid newbie question on a Lightwave mailing list you will get fried, guaranteed! Many of the C4D users are french and german ... Now that I'm a little further along I'm starting to realize that a lot of the action in the real world happens inside compositing programs like After Effects or assorted Discreet products or video editors like Final Cut Pro (which supports plug-ins like the very cool Boris Red) which are starting to incorporate some 3D features of their own. The problem seems to be that in a professional environment it can take too long to redo 3D renders so a lot of the magic is done in a compositing program that is faster and more flexible. In spite of its limitations and quirks, I feel happy when I'm working inside C so I use it when I can and if it can't do something I need then it's off to Lightwave or C4D (Lightwave has better animation features than C4DXL7 in my opinion). I often model in C4D and then do the rest in C. For my money, both C and C4D produce nice-looking output without too much effort. I seem to have to work a lot harder in Lightwave to get something that looks nice (not sure why since it certainly isn't lacking in features). Also, the more tools I learn the more I find that I tend to use lots of different tools on a given project. No one tool does it all. Since I use so many tools, though, I have trouble with ones like Lightwave where it seems like unless you use it all day, every day it's hard to get anywhere (but it's unbelievably powerful in the right hands). I wouldn't underestimate the power of C's spline modeller (or amapi for that matter assuming you can understand how to use it and get it to run without crashing!) I think of C as training wheels for the higher-powered 3d apps but once I leave C I start to miss it. I think part of the problem is that as you add more features to a product it becomes more complex and thus more difficult to learn and use on a casual basis (especially if it's one where the only way to get anything done is to learn a zillion keyboard accelerators). On the Mac side of the house, it's a bit like what's happening with the iApps and their more powerful brothers. iDVD is somewhat limited in functionality but so darn easy to use that I've read about professional production houses using it for simpler tasks that don't require DVD Studio Pro (likewise with iMovie and Final Cut Pro). Why deal with the complexity if you don't need the advanced features for a particular gig? Everything these days is about doing things faster and cheaper. Well, I've probably rambled on enough for one posting!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.