Fri, Sep 20, 10:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: Changes to Galleries

kbennett ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 11:45 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:34 AM

Attached Link: Forum news announcement and discussion

The Galleries now have some extra functionality which has been asked for. In addition to Software categories, you can now scan the galleries according to genre. Say you want to see Poser images that are categorised as 'Fantasy', all you have to do is select 'Poser' from the topic list and 'Fantasy' from the genre list and click 'Apply'. You'll then get a subset of the Poser gallery, not the whole shebang. You can also search just on genre, leaving the topic set to 'All'. In the above example you would then get a gallery listing of *all* Fantasy images in the database, regardless of which topic they fell in to (i.e. mainly which software was used to create them.) For now, the genres are pretty much empty, and we'd like your help in getting them populated. If you could go through your galleries and edit the images, selecting an appropriate genre for each one the genres should start to fill up pretty quickly. The upload forms have also been modified to allow you to select a genre when you upload an image. If you have any comments, would like to see extra categories etc. please visit the Forum News thread linked above and leave a comment there. This functionality is still being worked on at the moment, so if you get any odd results, please let us know. Kevin Moderator.

compiler ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:24 PM

I'm in the process of transfering my few pics in the hobbyist gallery, where they belong IMHO. There are some terms I find confusing in the genre list : "glamour" in French means something like classy-sexy. I know that, in English, this term has something to do with magic and faeries. Which version is the one used here ? "film" : is this for animations or for still renders based on movie characters ? Thanks for helping out a foreigner... Compiler

kbennett ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:28 PM

Glamour is the French version. For film, I'm mot certain. Maybe if your images are stills from a film or animation they would go in there. Kev.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:36 PM

Don't know about faeries but glamour here (USA) as a genre in photography means pretty much the same as the French, "classy" nude or semi-nude pin-ups - as opposed to more explicit (not "classy"?) nudity.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

SnowSultan ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:38 PM

Do our images appear in the specific genres immediately after we edit them or does it take a few minutes? I set genres for two of mine and they didn't appear in the respective galleries. Just checking, thanks. :) SnowS

my DeviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

kbennett ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:41 PM

The change is done immediately you click 'Upload'. Ig the image is older than 30 days (the current limit to [What's New]) then it won't show up in the [What's New] section but only in [Most Commented], [Best Rankings], [By Artist] etc. There are still a few kinks that need ironing out.

SnowSultan ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 12:46 PM

Thanks for writing, I see how it works now. I hope we'll be able to browse all the images of a particular genre soon, not only the What's New ones when it's all done though. Thanks again. :) SnowS

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

Quoll ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 1:22 PM

Cool new additions. Well done! I would like to see a feature that allowed me to exclude certain categories rather than include them. For instance, search everything but exclude "beginner" and also exclude "Seasonal". I'm sure there are others who would appreciate the option to sort out nudity, etc. That sort of search would be great!

pigfish ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 1:38 PM

Any chance of getting definitions of each of the genres? I'm not sure what some of them actually represent and I'm struggling to define some of my pics.

hecate ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 1:48 PM

The only problem I can see with this is it would've been nice to be able to choose more than one genre for any image. Pictoral art, much like literature is sometimes difficult to classify (even by the artist/writer) into any one single category. I've got one recent image up, for example, the Queen of Elfland, it's inspired by a real English ballad. Does that make it historical? But the subject is, perhaps, mythical? Does that make it fantasy? The people back then really believed in elves, and thought they were real, so they wouldn't have considered it fantasy. Maybe glamour would be appropriate, but then, the usage in modern terms doesn't necessarily fit with the archaic meaning, as someone else posted above. It's a great change for the galleries, but only being able to choose one single genre for an image seems a little like trying to sterotype your work. Just my tuppence, though, -hecate

xoconostle ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 1:56 PM

Hecate, you're right. This isn't the biggest deal in the world, but to expect us to catagorize our works is absurd. At least some of us. I mean, I can think of two images of mine, here, which could be called "pinups," several which I wouldn't mind if someone called "surrealism," but that's about it. The rest don't fall into any of the catagories provided, as I see it. I know the intention was to provide something nice for membership, and I appreciate the good intention, but please, telling us that "you asked for this" doesn't convince. I didn't see any debate about it that I can recall. Maybe I'm wasting concern, though. Can we decline to catagorize? That would be nice. Being forced to is offensive, however.

Quoll ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 2:25 PM

Hecate, you're right. This isn't the biggest deal in the >world, but to expect us to catagorize our works is absurd. I agree with this! And I will build on it. I recently posted a 3D comic I created and had to choose between the two programs I used to create it. Was it a "Poser" image or a "Vue" image? And for that matter, I used Photoshop and Illustrator as well! What I really wanted was to post it under "3D Comic" or "Fantasy worlds" or "Stories" or something like that. 1 - The categories should be based on the final product, NOT the program used to create them. 2 - A user should be able to use several categories at one time. The way the system is now, it would be like searching for a television program by looking under "beta cam", "high def" or "public broadcast through a relay station"! Or selecting a movie to go see by categories like "filmed in New Zealand" or "Stars people you will recognize". LOL

compiler ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 2:30 PM

I second this opinion, especially since you can specify what programs you used when posting the pic, so that people interested in Poser techniques can still find what they like. May be you could post this idea in the community's ideas forum ? (and I also support the idea of being able to select some options AND exclude some other choices). Compiler

Quoll ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 2:44 PM

FWIW, I hope the Renderosity folks don't read my suggestions as bitching! ; ) Having been a web developer myself I understand the great challenge of Information Architechture, which is an ongoing issue for any web site.

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 2:55 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12375&Form.ShowMessage=1094517

Darn, Kevin (sigh), was hoping my suggestion might get incorporated into the updates this go around.

xoconostle ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 2:57 PM

Hopefully, if this is "bitching," it's understood that it's out of sincere concern for something we appreciate and care about...the Rosity galleries. I guess we do complain about them a lot LOL.

DrummerDude ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 3:20 PM

Is is possible to add a link to view all. This would be really nice in the new galleries like hobbyist because most people are just switching images from other galleries and not uploading the images again. This way we can see all the images in order of date.

kbennett ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 3:56 PM

pigfish: the categories were lifted initially from the homepages category list. The list will certainly evolve over time, and I think that in a time the genres will be pretty much self defining. For now, if you think it fits, then it fits ;) xoconostle: you don't have to categorise your work into genres if you don't want to. It's just an option which you can use or not as it pleases you :) Chuck: I'll point that one out and see if it can be done. The whole gallery rehash is sure to take some time, so just 'cos it hasn't happened today doesn't mean it won't pop up tomorrow... Bitching? Naah. These are all pretty cool suggestions. If you raise them in the Forum News thread (linked at the top of this one) they'll get seen by the admin team much quicker. Kev.

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 4:37 PM

I may be overly optimistic but so far the changes seem to be going with unusual good humor and cooperativeness. Probably nothing is going to make us 100% happy, but it looks to me, from a far outside view, that people are trying to be helpful rather than hindering the process. The suggestions I've seen so far seem to be good ones. I really people see the changes as an attempt to be responsive to some requests people have made over time. Yeah, there will be bumps. There always are. But I'm pretty impressed both with the Renderosity team and the community in relationship to this change. So far, at least. ;)

rockets ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 4:56 PM

I just dumped all my pinups into the Poser Glamour section. I don't know if that's where they belong, but that's where they are. :-)

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

kbennett ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 5:16 PM

whispers in rockets' general direction The 'Pinups' genre might've been better if they are, indeed, pinups ;)

rockets ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 5:23 PM

ahahah...well okay, guess I should read the list in the future. LOL

My idea of rebooting is kicking somebody in the butt twice!

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 5:46 PM

Kevin, there seems to be some sort of problem. At least for me. If I click on Galleries, then choose Poser, then a Genre of Faeries, things pop up OK. Then, then only way I know to see anything older than 30 days, I click on "View Random". That's were nothing comes up except two "[Previous] [Next]" buttons (etc.).

BTW, is "View Random" the only way to look prior to 30 days (or am I just dense)?

![turkey.gif](http://www.chuck-n-michelle.net/images/turkey.gif)  Sure, you can strive to fly with the eagles but turkeys don't get sucked into jet engines.

ronstuff ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 6:24 PM

I just went to my rather small gallery to update my submissions, and can't find ANY single genre which is appropriate for my pictures. I wish they had a "Pure Poser" genre and then I could put my things there otherwise, the genres are severely limiting. Based on my own experience classifying images, I can predict that most of the stuff currently in the galleries will end up in the generic "People" category, so what good is it. You really need multiple genres if you want members to label their images as "Medieval" without also being able to say "fantasy" or "historic" or "portrait" or "architectural" etc. ONE category just won't work. I think the idea is good, and should be developed, but the current list of genres really has to change.

ladynimue ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 6:38 PM

Hey ron, go to the Forum News and Team Contact Forum and put in your wishlist for a genre :) ladynimue

ladynimue ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 6:40 PM

They are still working out all the kinks of the new gallery genre. You are correct about the "View Random" not coming up at the moment. I think we will have to give the programmers a couple days to get caught up with everyone, as they are adding new genre right and left :) ladynimue

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 7:17 PM

Wasn't complaining, (m')Lady. Kevin said to let them know about errors. Didn't know where to post it, so added it to the thread where that request was made.

Also, IS "View Random" the only way to look at stuff older than 30 days?

![turkey.gif](http://www.chuck-n-michelle.net/images/turkey.gif)  Sure, you can strive to fly with the eagles but turkeys don't get sucked into jet engines.

SnowSultan ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 7:21 PM

Chuck, you can click on Most Viewed and that works (I finally found my own images that way). ;) SnowS

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 7:38 PM

You can still post to the Poser gallery and not choose any genre. I don't know that "Pure Poser" would add anything to the event...why add genres that will just lead to a whole bunch of "Pure Photoshop," "Pure Bryce," etc. listings???? The genres are just subject headings and no one has to use them. Guess I was being optimistic earlier. Apologies for that. ;)

ChuckEvans ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 7:44 PM

SnowS, if I clicked on "Most Viewed", I'd have to go to the end to see mine! J

ronstuff ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 7:54 PM

Dialyn - FYI there already ARE Bryce, Photoshop and other galleries, but seems that folks would rather be in the Poser gallery even if they really should be in "Mixed Media" or something else. I for one am tired of wading though heavily postworked images, bryce renders, vue renders, etc. when what I want is to see what real POSER artists can do. So since the Poser gallery has been overrun by non-Poser stuff, I think a "Pure Poser" category is badly needed, because not everybody thinks alike, and there is room for all - so why put down anybody who doesn't think like you?

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 8:07 PM

Since I get to indulge in redundancy myself today, I will say yet again I didn't put you down....I simply disagreed. I disagree with a lot people and most people disagree with me. I don't take it personally. Neither should you. You can have your opinion. I have mine. We never have to agree. That's okay dokey with me.

ronstuff ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 8:27 PM

me too - :-) just wish sometimes that people with nothing to say would say just that... nothing. Making an original comment and negating someone else's are two entire different things. Would really be nice if some people knew the difference.

Turtle ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 8:37 PM

I don't mind the Fairy section, but I just posted a Render that I couldn't find a group to put it in. I like the old way 100 times better. Just one ole womans opinion.

Love is Grandchildren.

EricofSD ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 9:14 PM

How about categories for terrain/landscape and one for archetecture? Maybe another category for Monotone images? Fantastic idea, by the way.

dialyn ( ) posted Wed, 26 February 2003 at 9:41 PM

I think there is a architecture genre. There is an environment genre and one for nature. Landscape/terrain seems like a good idea since I'm not sure what environment means (not sure what household means either). I'm not sure what to do with graphics that are mostly interiors of rooms. Those aren't really still lifes, are they, but what are interior without people in them? Are they an environment??? I'm going to give up on genres for the night. My head is starting to hurt.

RNKarenER ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 12:02 AM

Hello Kevin.. I am trying to re-do my gallery and upload appropiately.. but when I changed two images to poser-fantasy.. they do not show up in that gallery.. what am I doing wrong... ( grumbing cuz I missed out over the last 2 days) ..... No complaints here, just trying to do it right... Karen

Alchera ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 2:23 AM

Is there a NVIATWAS genre? I have a few of those... ~Al

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 4:08 AM

Hmmm something seems buggy though. I just finished sorting all my images into genres, and at least one of them is missing. Or at least so it seems. I have uploaded/changed 2 of my pics to the category Poser / Children, but if you look in that category there's only one picture there, the very first one I categorized. The other pic is nowhere to be found. At least not by me. Am I missing something? (besides my picture...)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

kbennett ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 5:40 AM

At the moment, if you select a topic then a genre, you'll still only see those images that were posted in the last 30 days, the same as it was before when you just clicked 'What's new' (but with a 15 day limit). To see other entries you still need to use the 'Most Commented', 'Most Viewed' etc options. This whole gallery revamp is likely to take several weeks all in all, and as each feature is added/modified the galleries should become more functional. This was just a first step ;)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 5:50 AM

Ah, THAT explains it :o) Thanks. But... Does it mean that over time (ie: once the implementation is done) we WILL be able to see all images in each genre, no matter when if was originally uploaded?

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

kbennett ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 6:30 AM

Hopefully :) That's certainly the target anyhow.

dirk5027 ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 6:51 AM

Where it says Pinups, you should have male pinups or female pinups....many of us are tired of the constant naked vickies and seems many here don't care for naked men, so simply split pinups into 2 categories

cherokee69 ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 6:56 AM

Yeah, I too think the Pinups section should have been separated into male and female sections. I mean, if I want to look at male pinups, I sure don't want to have to wasde through tons of Vicky pics to find the Mike ones.

lululee ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 11:47 AM
Online Now!

I really like the old way much better. One catagory at upload is a real limitation.I create fairies in fantasy outfits that are pinups. I know they say "your're never lonesome with a schizophrenic" but this is difficult.

dialyn ( ) posted Thu, 27 February 2003 at 11:57 AM

You don't have to specify a genre. You can just upload into a gallery the way you always did. The genre is just an added feature so people who are only interested in looking at animals, for example, can create a "gallery on the fly" with only animals in it. No biggie if you choose not to use the genres, I don't think.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.