Thu, Sep 19, 9:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Critique Time :)

Colette1 ( ) posted Mon, 03 March 2003 at 10:53 PM ยท edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 5:18 AM

file_48609.jpg

Here is a picture I have been working on for a few days now.I am thinking of doing a series of illustrations telling a story. Any comments and critiques welcome. Critiques especially. Thanks.

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 12:45 AM

Did those eggs come from that dragon? OUCH! I really like the composition, the grey kinda puts me off, not really a dragony texture (but thats just me), the egg shells however are excellent!... Bio-note: a developing dragon before hatching would take up all of the available space inside the eggshell (kinda like baby chics do), so the broken shells are somewhat large in comparsion to the size of the new hatchling (mom might appreciate smaller eggs also :). This may sound funny, but did you see Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone? There's baby dragon hatching scene that would give you some idea of size relationships for hatchling and shell...All in all a great start on your artistic narrative... A side note, a darker shell, say closer to the color of the dragon, that mottled reddish color, for the eggshells would be a good visual color link to the dragons themselves...all done, BTW these are just suggestions... Sorry for rattling on but I think you're on the right track and I can't wait to see what's next...

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

draculaz ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 12:52 AM

it's very cartoony, your attention to detail is pretty good, and by that I mean the egg yolk or whatever the fluid that is... the fact the wings of the baby dragon haven't matured, etc. one thing that i would suggest if i may would be to look more into the textures. the haze right now makes the ground level dissapear, almost as if the eggs would be in the air. also the texture on the rocks and ground in general could use a little work -in the sense of making the texture more depth-persistant. The texture on the eggs could be a bit dirtier, considering that the eggs have been in the dirt for a while -or just maybe because dragons don't lay eggs that white :P also, the eggs could be a bit smaller because there's no way a dragon that small could make eggs that big. but yeah, aside from that... good :) Drac

Erlik ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 5:08 AM

Suggestion for the dragon: put something in the bump channel. Then the uniform grayness of the skin wouldn't be so noticeable. Although you could add swirls or something.

-- erlik

vasquez ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 5:11 AM

I'd change a bit lights and dragon textures, there's no contrast between the ground and the dragon, it would be nice if shadows of the rocks will give a more 3dimensionality to the scene (is a bit flat), and i'd also make eggs a bit smaller.... that poor dragoness had to suffer to deploy them. aside from that is a good subject.

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 5:51 AM
Forum Moderator

You might try to up the render quality and shrink those eggs...eggcellent work though! The Bryster

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

runwolf13 ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 7:56 AM

Shrinking the eggs, and having some sort of goop in the broken egg would help. Also, I like the dragon, but if you're going to have a bright red and grey dragon, you're going to need bright red in the environment. And those fragile, precious eggs would be better cammoflaged as well. Still, a good job, I like it.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Tue, 04 March 2003 at 11:14 AM

Smaller eggs, more glupe in the shells, tweek textures on the rocks and dragon skin, put in the oven and bake at 200 deg C for 1 hour. Hey presto you have the perfect hatching environment. Looking good Colette, it has all the right ingredients and only requires a little tweeking to make it even better. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Cat

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.