Wed, Sep 18, 11:07 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Question about reducing the size of the pose folder in Poser 4...?

droyd ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 10:35 PM ยท edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 4:42 PM

Hi Folks, This is probably a dumb question but I have to ask. I'm filling up my pose folder as I'm sure allot of people do. Unless it's a mat pose and it's just a simple pose for any figure Mil or P4 or stock Poser animal/item, etc, can I just make my own folders and just cut and paste the files wherever I want? Or will it cause Poser to have problems dealing with it? Most of the items would be freebies or Daz stuff. I realize this is probably a no-brainer question but I've been fooled by my own "big ideas" before. I am under the assumption that unless it's a mat file relating to specific textures poser needs to locate, that moving "regular" poses around to reduce the number of folders I have to look thru is no big deal. Thanks in advance for the response.

Lucy_Fur ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 10:42 PM

Moving any obj (geometry) files is generally not a good idea. Nor the texture files. But as far as Pose files (Pose / MAT / MOR) I tend to condense them into similar folders rather than the vanity folders. V2 characters, V2 Clothes, Hair, M2 Clothes, Shoes, Animal Poses, etc. What can happen tho is depending on how the file is named, you may have to rename the file if others that you put into the same folder have the same name (like pose01 or whatever) OR if the file name is very general, you may lose track of the creator since you'll be ditching a vanity folder.

There are those folk who use Pboost which can create/use additional library folders, but I don't have it, so I'm not familiar w/how it works.

Dizzie ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 10:49 PM

the only file that has to have a correct path is the path to the obj...so in other words, if you move the geometries/ .obj files, the item won't load unless you edit the path in the file...it'll just give you a error message saying it can't find the obj. As far as textures, Poser will look for the texture file no matter where it is...so you can move the textures without having to edit the path on the file.

EricofSD ( ) posted Thu, 21 August 2003 at 11:17 PM

I used pbooost to combine folders. Like I put all the shoes in one folder, all V's clothing in another, all of Posette's clothing in another. Sometimes a product installs mats made for both P4 and PPP so I just ditch the P4 version since I have PPP. The hard part is remembering who's stuff you're using. So I have asked if there is a way to make a second pose folder like a mat folder. Don't think anyone figured it out yet. Ok, and since I'm on win2k with fat32, I cannot use the switch banks feature of pboooost. :( Ok, onward ho.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2003 at 6:37 AM

As long as you don't create more than one level of folders inside the Pose directory, you can arrange things as it suits you. This applies to MAT poses as well, since as long as you don't move the textures they're looking for. So, if you have 10 folders of Vicky Poses and you want to consolidate them into one or two, go for it. The one caveat is that if you have too many individual files in any folder (don't remember the limit) all of them will not show up in the library listing. I don't use it but the best help for dealing with the proliferation of filse seems to be PBoost as mentioned. Try the demo first to make sure it works for you on your system. Alternatively, you can change the file extention of any pose or MAT pose files from pz2 to cm2 and stick them in the generally fairly empty Camera folder. Some people decry this as heresy but it's a simple, practical solution that works fine. I haven't tried it, but you could probably change the extentions from pz2 to fc2 and put them in the Face folder as well (or hd2 for the Hands folder). The main problem with changing file extentions is remembering what is where and what it really is. I usually just put MAT poses in Camera folder (and prefix the filemame with MAT_) so I know where to look for them. I've seen sets that create separate folders for faces, poses, lights etc. for the same figure. To me, it makes some sense to prefix the names and change the extentions, putting them all in one folder for convenient access. With the prefixes, you can always go back and split them out later if you want.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Huolong ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2003 at 9:43 AM

Poser4 can find textures much quicker than Poser5, but using CorrectReference will speed up load and render times. Once you have a texture file in the right place, don't move it. You can't move obj files in the geometries file at all. PBoost is the best way to expand your library capabilities. If you don't like that, you can move whole libraries and texture files in and out so long as they go back into the same place each time.

Gordon

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2003 at 11:03 AM

"You can't move obj files in the geometries file at all." Unless you edit the corresponding .cr2 or .pp2 to change the .obj file references. Not recommended and not unless you know what you're doing, but not impossible.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Huolong ( ) posted Fri, 22 August 2003 at 9:46 PM

Right. Can't without editing ...

Gordon

Lucy_Fur ( ) posted Sat, 23 August 2003 at 11:24 AM

I always think of things in regards to the least amount of handling - thereby not changing the texture reference(s) or the obj references ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.